Dennis77

Evolve Cards and Retained Effects

Question

I have one additional question that I am unclear on from the CRD.  I'll explain how I think it works, and would love to know if I am wrong, and if so, in what respect.  

So, I believe that if I evolve a card, that I retain the additions/subtractions added to that card prior to evolution in terms of power level changes.  In addition, if the card has been negated prior to evolution and cannot use skills, that even after the evolve that any skills on the new card are still negated for the rest of the turn, despite that not being the true target of the negate.  What I am not entirely sure of is if the evolve card gets the skills/effects from the previous card (card under it) added to the skills/effect of the evolution.  Put more simply with an example, if I have a SS3 Son Goku, Maximum Energy in my Battle Area, and during my Main Phase I play a God Rush Son Goku through its evolution effect on top of the SS3 Son Goku, Maximum Energy, does my God Rush Son Goku now gain the Dual Attack portion from the SS3 Son Goku, Maximum Energy if I had satisfied the conditions to make that effect active earlier in the turn?  Hopefully that makes sense.

download.jpg

SD1-02_grande.png

7 answers to this question

Yes. The evolved card gains any effects and power additions/subtractions from the card under it. So your God Rush Goku would have dual attack and double strike. But you would have to evolve into the God Rush Goku in the same turn that you played the SS3 Goku.

Page 14 for source: http://www.dbs-cardgame.com/pdf/series1_rules_qa.pdf?Update=20170727

I would disagree about negating, if we're talking about something like "Cold Bloodlust".  The timing rules negate the cards effects BEFORE it actually gets played, so it is not yet a part of the evolved card yet.  (Rules manual 6-3-1-3-1-1).  Seems to me that it would Blank God Rush before it enters play, but as soon as it enters play it gains all the effects that were already on SS3.  That would be a good question for Bandai.

Yeah, I don't know.  By the timing, if I play mecha frieza, which gives itself doublestrike for the turn, then evolve into some other Frieza (hypothetically), Cold Bloodlust would resolve, blanking my evolved card before the evolved card hits the table, so would the negate carry down into the double strike that was already on the card being evolved FROM?

Odd interaction.

18 hours ago, Stryyder said:

Yeah, I don't know.  By the timing, if I play mecha frieza, which gives itself doublestrike for the turn, then evolve into some other Frieza (hypothetically), Cold Bloodlust would resolve, blanking my evolved card before the evolved card hits the table, so would the negate carry down into the double strike that was already on the card being evolved FROM?

Odd interaction.

Wait... what? Cold Bloodlust would resolve on the Mecha Frieza being played and any Frieza you evolve that Mecha Frieza into would also have its effects negated.

You are correct, (got an official reply from Bandai this morning).

i was just playing devils advocate.  Since section 6 of the manual shows negates happen before the card is played to the table I wasn't sure if it would extend to cards already on the table transferring their effects.  But you are correct, even effects coming over from the preevolved card would be negated