Thearbiter20x6

Need opinions.

Question

All right, guys.  Real talk.  How is the new Dragon Ball Super card game?

I have very limited experience with it.  I got some free half decks from a store I happened to peruse while visiting a friend, but they didn't grab me.  It could very well be the demo-decks, which is why I'm making this post.  The demo-deck games just felt like back and forth dropping battle cards while managing hand size with not a whole lot else going on.

At the same time I've been hearing a lot about this new game.  I want some opinions.  How does this game play?  Is it fun?  Does it allow for deep strategies and deck building?  Many of you know I am a Pan Z megafan (despite the issues with the game). 

I don't want to miss something cool.  While I have been hearing the DBS buzz, it has been ominously silent in my Pan Z circles.  This could all be coincidence.  Although to be honest, I'm kind of "meh" at the thought of starting all over from scratch again...that's if there's even a tournament scene going on in central Virginia.

4 answers to this question

Honestly the demo decks were quite boring. Played with them twice and I did have the same fear that this game wasn't going to be fun. However after playing with a good friend on Octgn for a while I started having fun and starting seeing the strategies this game can have. I wouldn't say there are "deep" strategies yet but that's also to be expected from only one set. Now granted I do feel this game is simple at its core but at higher play you will need to think about every move you think, and I only expect it to get deeper as more sets come in. My thoughts is that you should try a few games on octgn with already prebuilt decks and see if it's something you would like to get into. If you do decide to get into it the game is very cheap to get into at its current form.

If you have interest get some cards Like Numanumaking13 said its just 1 set. I feel like the commons are really strong and a lot have become staples in many decks. Its boring to see the same stuff over and over again but with about 200 cards you cant expect much. I think the game will pick up after another set or two comes out

The demo decks were just that, demo decks. They are made to help people learn how to play and are very, VERY basic. get a starter deck and play with cards that have more interactions and you'll see how fun it is.

I was highly skeptical early on, but I'm having a lot of fun with DBS.  There are a few factors to this:

Entry cost - There are only about 112 cards in set 1.  This is about a THIRD of what PanZ had in set 1.  If you pick up 2-3 boxes, you will have enough to make 2-3 competitive decks.  After 3 boxes I am missing about 10 SRs to have a playset(which go for $5-10 each MAX because there are only 8 of them in the set)  The 4 Super Rares are just alt art reprints, so those aren't MUST HAVE cards.

Quick but strategic - Each color has its own identity, and there are plenty of nice combos to be had with any of them.  The strategy during gameplay is not as deep as DBZ, but there are a lot of strong decisions to be made.  How you fill out your splash cards and 1-of/2-ofs REALLY makes a big difference on how you handle the meta.

So yeah, I agree, get some premade decks on OCTGN and try it out, or just watch some matches at your LGS if there is a scene.  You'll catch on to the flow quickly and see if it's for you.