Junpa

Auto skills and Blockers

Question

Quick question on Auto skills and blockers. Correct me if I am wrong, but when declaring an attack, the following occurs:  

Declare attack -> opponent can activate and resolve a counter (if countered,  Auto still goes off) -> auto skills and blockers activate -> auto skill resolves -> blocker resolves

So based on that, would the following scenario be correct?

I attack with Saiyan Cabba. My opponent does not play a counter attack. Now, would my opponent have to declare a blocker first before I pay for Saiyan Cabba's Auto, or do I have to Pay for Saiyan Cabba's Auto, then my opponent can decide to block or not?

9 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Junpa said:

according to the rule book:

7-1-2. A checkpoint occurs. [Auto] skills that trigger upon attack and the non-turn player’s [Blocker] skills activate at this timing.

This makes it sound like both activate at this time, while  the FAQ states:

Q&A(63.) Q. Which resolves first: [Blocker], or an auto skill triggered by attacking? A. Resolve the auto skill triggered by attacking first, then resolve [Blocker]

I guess the real question is, is there a difference between activating and resolving? 

While it is stated that [Auto] and [Blocker] skills occur in the same step it is impossible for the two effects to occur simultaneously. Therefore, one must take place first.  In most card games when effects resolve at the same time the turn player gets priority; this is further enforced in the rules because the ruling you state (7-1-2) mentions auto effects before blocker effects. 

Is that answered officially somewhere?  If not, I would disagree.  7-3-1-3-1 says autos resolve AFTER negates and Cabba's effect is a "may" effect anyway.  So it would go:

Attack -> Auto triggers -> Counter window (Negates) -> Attacker Autos resolve, you choose if you want to soak a life for the boost (since it is a "may") -> Defender autos resolve and blockers are assigned (if used)

9 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Is that answered officially somewhere?  If not, I would disagree.  7-3-1-3-1 says autos resolve AFTER negates and Cabba's effect is a "may" effect anyway.  So it would go:

Attack -> Auto triggers -> Counter window (Negates) -> Attacker Autos resolve, you choose if you want to soak a life for the boost (since it is a "may") -> Defender autos resolve and blockers are assigned (if used)

according to the rule book:

7-1-2. A checkpoint occurs. [Auto] skills that trigger upon attack and the non-turn player’s [Blocker] skills activate at this timing.

This makes it sound like both activate at this time, while  the FAQ states:

Q&A(63.) Q. Which resolves first: [Blocker], or an auto skill triggered by attacking? A. Resolve the auto skill triggered by attacking first, then resolve [Blocker]

I guess the real question is, is there a difference between activating and resolving? 

You are correct.  I actually asked for clarficiation on this at Gencon.  Regarding the questions asked in this thread:

* Cabba triggers before counters, but does not resolve until after.  Resolving the effect includes the choice of whether to soak a life card or not.  tl;dr - you choose to draw a life card with Cabba AFTER the counter window.

* the timing of 7-1-2: Active player resolves any and all "Auto" effects -> Defender resolves any and all "Auto" effects and declares up to 1 blocker (in the order of their choosing).

Exactly.  Here's the timing:

* Cabba rests to attack

* Cabba's ability Triggers but does not resolve (Auto's trigger here, but don't do checks or costs yet)

* Non-turn player may play Counter

* Turn player may Counter: Counter

* Turn player's auto effects go off: "You may draw one life card to give Cabba Doublestrike and +10000 until end of turn" (paraphrasing), resolve any other Autos (note: If using Champa leader, his skill does nothing until AFTER Cabba uses his.  Once you resolve Cabba, then you meet the requirement for Champa and resolve his ability)

* Non-turn player's auto effects resolve

* Non-turn player may declare a Blocker.

Think of it this way, the ONLY thing that is checked before counters is if any cards have effects that happen "When a card attacks...".  Any costs or board/game state checks happen during resolution.

Is there an official statement on this? According to what you said in 7-1-2 they activate together which also in the rules means the turn player (attacking) decides the order, so you can choose for them to activate blocker before your auto.

If you have played either of the official app downloads on the DBS card game website (PC or phone) you attack>they declare negate>they declare blocker>resolve auto>resolve negate>resolve blocker effects>you combo>they combo>resolve combo effects>resolve blocker

important to note is that you know if they block before paying for autos or combos but autos do still go off regardless. Also that blocked effects are last so the likes of full power frieza doesn't return to active until after the battle and everything is said and done.