Sign in to follow this  
Artificial Human

Gimmick Cards - What's your take?

I'm curious on this as Force of Will recently did what basically amounts to ripping off Score's Gate Fold Hi Tech cards, what do people think of gimmick cards?

By Gimmick Cards, I mean the following:

Thick Hi Tech (Score Z, Pan Z)

Gate Fold Hi Tech (Score Z)

Backer Hi Tech (GT)

Dual Faced Cards (Duel Masters, Magic, Force of Will, Super)

Multi-Part Cards (Magic, Pokemon, Duel Masters)

And any other cards like these I'm not familiar with.

Gate-folds were ok. They purposely could restrict gameplay in old-Z. High Techs, same thing; couldn't use them as allies.  Doubled sided cards were also ok, as they open up gameplay.

Backer HTs were horrible, and the rules were convoluted. Same thing with gears in Dragon Booster (anyone remember that game lol). 

I don't really have strong feelings either way for most of these, but I will definitely say that I loved how the Pokemon TCG handled "LEGEND" cards. Especially in relation to the current EX/GX system, and with how draw engines in that game work.

For a bit of behind baseball, Pokemon TCG draw engines are normally based around rapid discard and hand refills turn-by-turn, with things like the Professor cards, N, Colress and etc. completely replacing hands. LEGEND kind of forced players to work around it though, or hope that they get one half of it and an Ultra Ball. For the time period they were active, they were also incredibly strong cards, and with the ruling that you can only play a total of 4 cards of the pair, you were pretty much forced to rock 2 copies of the complete Pokemon total.

In effect, the LEGEND mechanic heavily restricted the usage of what were incredibly potent sweepers and created a really engaging environment of timing and hand manipulation on both sides to try and control when they were dropped to the board. None of them could be especially relevant today thanks to the power scaling of the game, but it's definitely on the sadder side that this mechanic died out entirely.

I don't have a problem with Hi-Techs in general.

I actually like the backer idea on paper. While the broken combinations would obviously win out, being able to customize your MP sounded fun. However,  it really is just the idea I like. Putting it into practice... not so much. Especially trying to collect them or getting the one you want. I already hated randomized Z starter decks. GT was insane. Did they give me enough General Rilldo and Dr Myu?

If we're talking card games, I like gimmicks. They help set a card game apart from the usual suspects. It also helps when they're unique to their respective card games and when there's effort in making them look awesome too.

I liked thw sideways carss for Setups and Drills in PanZ. I wish games like Pokemon did thay so to was easier to see what all it on a pokemans. 

I don't play alot of TCGs so i don't k ow what other uses it could have in other games.