Artificial Human

How big do you like your Decks?

With 60 card decks a 5 life card attack was 8% of your deck. With 80 card decks a 5 life card attack was 6% of your deck. 80 card decks were way too tall. 60 card decks make it too easy for players to lose to attrition. 

5 hours ago, SirCod said:

With 60 card decks a 5 life card attack was 8% of your deck. With 80 card decks a 5 life card attack was 6% of your deck. 80 card decks were way too tall. 60 card decks make it too easy for players to lose to attrition. 

So... 70?

----

Honestly I made this deck because of just what Changingling Bard brought up. A smaller deck raises consistency of the deck. Yes it greatly empowers Dragon Balls, but that's just a side effect. We're talking about a 7% jump in probability you'll draw a specific card, from 14 to 21. It makes the game more explosive effect wise, being more able to chain together effects.

On the flip side, I always found something satisfying about the larger decks of the old days. It makes decks less consistent, 10% for any given card, lest you GT it up, where it jumps back to 21% chance for any given card, but we were complaining about space from time to time and as I said, there was just something enjoyable about lugging this big deck out as the shear size was unique. Also, given the game mechanics, it felt like a buffer, even if it was a hindrance to accessing your better cards.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:49 AM, ChangelingBard said:

40 made DB too easy, while if you played less than 75/80 for any other victory you were at a major disadvantage.  The universal 60 was one of PanZ's correct choices. 

Pretty much this.

Low card count DBV decks plagued the entirety of Score Z.  I got close to winning a couple regionals and always got knocked out of Top 4 by DBV.  It was super frustrating and not fun at all.  My opponent always ended combat and defended all game while flooding the board.  No Gohan's Kick in your hand?  Forget it.

On the other hand (I ran Namekian physical beats so I was in the 80 Card Cool People Club), 75-80 cards decks were too big.  Not only did we lug around bricks, but with so many cards in the deck, I could run every single card I wanted to run.  Deck building was easy.  Too easy.

Panini hit the sweet spot imo.  At a fixed 60 card deck there were no DBV shenanigans.  I have rarely lost to DBV in panini and they were almost always my fault or my opponent using legit control tactics instead of "lol I drew EDB 3 in score and drew 3 more dragon balls so now I drop EDB 5 and then I drop 6 in the middle of combat to end it and win LOLOLOLOLOL" (Earth Dragon Balls in Score were SUUUUUPER broken). 

Also, deck building becomes...delightfully difficult.  I have to make TOUGH decisions every time I build a deck.  Really tough decisions.  EXCRUCIATINGLY PAINFUL decisions.  You gotta set up your own game while trying to counter expected strategies...with only 60 cards.  It's ROUGH. 

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I never considered playing SWD.  A 30 card deck is just too small for my tastes. 

On 8/26/2017 at 3:28 PM, SirCod said:

Score Z also did not have any endurance in the game until what, set 6?  An 80 card deck melts pretty quickly with no endurance in the game.  Attacks in Score Z were somewhat stronger overall as well.

7 hours ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I never considered playing SWD.  A 30 card deck is just too small for my tastes. 

You can only run 2 each card in SWD, so 30 cards actually makes up a diverse deck as you rarely double up on non-equipment cards.

12 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

You can only run 2 each card in SWD, so 30 cards actually makes up a diverse deck as you rarely double up on non-equipment cards.

Are there still no ways to tutor or shuffle in SWD?

On 10/6/2017 at 3:34 PM, ChangelingBard said:

You shouldn't need to shuffle, but yes, there is a tutor now in blue.  Grabs a lightsaber.

That is one of the MANY (MANY) things I don't like about that game. Once your deck is shuffled you are locked into that order for the rest of the game, and with (now) only one way to go through your deck you're SOL. That is such a basic function of card games it baffles me that it doesn't have it.