Question

Hey

I have been asked this many times and also wondered myself. Is there a draw back in attacking with cards?

Ex: (OP - offensive player / DP - defensive player)

OP leader attacks DP leader and after comboing DP wins - OP does not loose any life or no repercussions.

Wouldn't you want to always attack with leader every turn?

Battle monsters makes sense as they can be destroyed once in rest mode

please help this poor noob (me!)

5 answers to this question

It depends on the matchup and state of the game. This game generally encourages offense but sometimes you may want to hold off. Like not wanting to give Mecha Frieza something on the following turn, or as Vegeta normally you want to only attack with Critical effects so if you don't have any and/or are low on life you may want to wait.

A strategy that is becoming more prevalent is leaving the opponent at 5 life and waiting until you can kill them in one big turn. So you may hold off on attacking.

So basically sometimes yes and sometimes no. hope that helps.

20 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

It depends on the matchup and state of the game. This game generally encourages offense but sometimes you may want to hold off. Like not wanting to give Mecha Frieza something on the following turn, or as Vegeta normally you want to only attack with Critical effects so if you don't have any and/or are low on life you may want to wait.

A strategy that is becoming more prevalent is leaving the opponent at 5 life and waiting until you can kill them in one big turn. So you may hold off on attacking.

So basically sometimes yes and sometimes no. hope that helps.

@sh0ryu_repp4 what you have stated is a strategic way of attacking (which in turn it is answering it) but aside from the strategic way, my leader can always attack and I wont loose life. I could be wrong but I think there should be a penalty if you lose battles with your leader at least.

35 minutes ago, vaimiro said:

@sh0ryu_repp4 what you have stated is a strategic way of attacking (which in turn it is answering it) but aside from the strategic way, my leader can always attack and I wont loose life. I could be wrong but I think there should be a penalty if you lose battles with your leader at least.

I don't agree because that isn't the way the game is built.

You generally do not want to be giving you opponent and extra card every turn and turbo them to Awaken. Clearing problem battle cards and managing an opponents awaken/card draw are the only real reasons to hold off an attack on the leader.  I play Vegeta so I am typically swinging in on early turns with critical because as you say, there is no reason not to, and even less if your card has critical.

Aside from that, if I know my opponent has drawn poorly (either by their attitude/facial expressions or the cards the are/are not playing) I am not going to give them ANY additional cards until I control the board/gamestate. 

As of set 1, there is no penalty, perhaps in the future there will be cards that you can combo with that in addition to the combo number, give a bonus if the defending leader is rested. Until then you just have to feel out the other decks and their tempo.