Stryyder

Where's this thing going?

So I don't follow SWD.  In fact, I volunteered to demo it this weekend down in Los Angeles and that will be my first time actually playing.  So my question is:  Is this game on the decline already?  I remember hearing about a big national event going down, not sure if it passed yet.  If so, how was the turnout?

Could just be because there is no scene in my area.  Everyone is either on MTG, YGO, CFV, DBS or just straight board games.

Have you tried Facebook yet?  Tons of people on the official Facebook and other groups such as Norcal/Socal Star Wars Destiny have members in the 500-600's.   I don't know about nationals (seems to have passed on [url=https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/1/19/2017-us-nationals-at-the-nova-open/]8/31[/url]) but the Store Championships usually net 20-80 in CA and those were almost weekly.

I personally like the game allot, it's just that not allot of people on this site seem to like it due to dice.  Everywhere else the game is fine, my locals have a steady stream of 6-16 a tourney and that's allot considering magic and ygo get 10-20 in my area.

Ok, definitely seems to be regional then.  Just not a big crowd for it in my area.  There are going to be some demos going this weekend at a bunch of Best Buys around the US, plugging the new 2 player starter set. 

I just got into it 2 weeks ago.  After getting out of DBZ my 1 year old started having health problems.  Turns out he has a congenital heart defect.  Since then he's had 3 open heart surgeries.  But he is doing great now!

Anywho - now that life is a little more normal I had a buddy pick up 2 of the L5R LCG cores for me and was playing that.  Also got into Destiny while I wait for L5R. 

It's been a lot of fun, lots of community interaction on FB.  A good amount of players in my area.  I enjoy it and it seems to be growing around here pretty fast.

34 minutes ago, Jarimy123 said:

I just got into it 2 weeks ago.  After getting out of DBZ my 1 year old started having health problems.  Turns out he has a congenital heart defect.  Since then he's had 3 open heart surgeries.  But he is doing great now!

Anywho - now that life is a little more normal I had a buddy pick up 2 of the L5R LCG cores for me and was playing that.  Also got into Destiny while I wait for L5R. 

It's been a lot of fun, lots of community interaction on FB.  A good amount of players in my area.  I enjoy it and it seems to be growing around here pretty fast.

Damn man I am glad to hear your son is ok!

It doesn't have much activity overall. I think you were on HCRealms and there is a heroclix Club here if you want to tall about that too. Goo is into it, I just complain about the game because I. dropped it last year. 

Good to hear about your son being okay! 

On 9/26/2017 at 4:06 PM, Vile said:

It doesn't have much activity overall. I think you were on HCRealms and there is a heroclix Club here if you want to tall about that too. Goo is into it, I just complain about the game because I. dropped it last year. 

Good to hear about your son being okay! 

Yes... spread the message. I need need more Z friendly Heroclix people. 

On 10/18/2017 at 10:07 AM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I only quoted you to get your attention. Your boys better not miss up the DBZ Figure game! :D 

I do not play SWD, but I have a friend who went in big time because he is a total star wars nerd (nothing wrong with that of course!).  He is a competent TCG player with lots of experience with them, but he got tired of getting screwed by the dice, so he decided to sell his collection.  He has been asking for a very reasonable price and has been unable to unload it.  Granted, his collection is substantial and he is selling it all at once, so whoever would buy it would need to commit hundreds of dollars toward the purchase, which could be the reason he has no bites.

But he has lowered his price several times and cannot get rid of it.  I do not see that as a good sign.  But again, maybe the market for a $500+ purchase is just very, very limited. 

6 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I am in a couple Buy/Sell/Trade groups for SWD on Facebook and I have also noticed the number of people selling their collection increasing with no movement on any of them.

It's kind of weird to me, tbh.  My aforementioned friend taught me how to play and it's fairly entertaining.  There's enough complexity in it for some good deck building options.  Some of the dice rolls did feel pretty critical though and I felt myself getting frustrated from time to time.  It is never fun rolling that red face.  Granted, there are cards to help manipulated your rolls.

The game seems relatively solid, though.  Is power creep happening or something?

The dice rolls suck because of how the dice are designed. In games that use numerical dice you are generally using another means to add to the roll (stats). In SWD you have a 1/6 chance to grt what you want on most dice, and a chance to completely wiff. That range is too high for a game of skill and aligns it with a game of luck. Sure you have ways to rereoll dice, but again you're rolling and not doing anything solid. 

Dicemaster has a similar flaw, but in their defence every side can do something. You have 2 sides of double energy, 1 side of single enrgy, and 3 character sides. Sure you can roll nothing but characters or energy but you have rereolls and a 50% to get what you want is far greater than SWD's ~17%

SWD is a game that sounds good on paper but falls flat on its face in practice. Yes there are ways to reroll. You have dice that can help you reroll dice but you still have to ROLL those dice, and you can discard a card to reroll. Which limits your gameplay options to have another chance at luck of the draw. The game is an Ouroboros or random luck.

3 hours ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

But he has lowered his price several times and cannot get rid of it.  I do not see that as a good sign.  But again, maybe the market for a $500+ purchase is just very, very limited. 

The main reason is that the game isn't rare anymore.  They fixed distribution and the market leveled out.  So people can buy boxes now instead of collections. He's much better off selling the legendary off individually.

Remember that selling any collection is as hell especially when demand is low because everyone already has what they want. 

3 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

You have dice that can help you reroll dice but you still have to ROLL those dice

And they are large, clunky, and hollow (from what i can tell) which gives them a poor roll overall. Regular D6 soze would have sufficed, as Dicemasters does it. 

*disclaimer: I dislike dicemasters but I find the product used is well thought out.

1 hour ago, ChangelingBard said:

The main reason is that the game isn't rare anymore.  They fixed distribution and the market leveled out.  So people can buy boxes now instead of collections. He's much better off selling the legendary off individually.

Remember that selling any collection is as hell especially when demand is low because everyone already has what they want. 

Yeah I think he's going to have to buckle down and do that.  He knows he can get more with individuals but he admitted he's just being lazy.

19 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

Call me a pessimist but I think it is less because of that (although I am sure that is a factor) and more because less people are playing the game.

1 hour ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Call me a pessimist but I think it is less because of that (although I am sure that is a factor) and more because less people are playing the game.

Sure you can think that, but all the Facebook groups are far more active than PanZ ever was.  My personal play group is 8 to 16 a local and It's optional to drive to other locations instead of mandatory like in PanZ.  Even my small lgs wants to do a store championship,  and it hasn't done anything like that since 99 lol.

In my honest opinion, you just seem to hate the game, so much so I actively avoid responding to your posts unless you actively involve me.   Of course a ton of people are selling collections, but destiny is so large that it's less than 10 percent of the player base.