Sign in to follow this  
Artificial Human

Best TCG Templates

What do people think are the best TCG Templates? I'm talking about from both a visual appeal aspect and how the template enhances game play with how it conveys information.

I am a big fan of the GT Template. I don't think it's perfect, but I like it from a practical aspect. Both the card type on the side and the damage box. There are some changes I'd make like making the cost more notable, waste less space and probably use different fonts, but I really like it.

I think in some ways UFS is what GT wanted to be. It's got a lot of similar aspects like damage/speed/block having their own parts of the card, notable, the name on the side. I am just not a fan of the font. Not easy to read on the Foundations.

Magic 8th Edition onwards is nice. Practical. Nothing flashy, but gets over what it wants to convey. The original looks very... old and the Future Sight is a bit cluttered. I don't think people appreciate how just a clean, basic, template looks nice. There are quite a few games such as World of Warcraft and Epic that also take this simple is better. Even the first three sets of Pan Z do.

MTG is still king.  Simple design elements, great art, story driven flavor text, easy to understand symbols.  Pokémon is well constructed for gameplay, but the VG gimmicks like height, weight, etc never really served any purpose and I doubt ANYONE would notice if tPCI did away with those.

Marvel Overpower was nice because of the large art pieces and straightforward game elements, but the "Yellow on 2 sides" minimalism of the Special cards seemed somewhat sophomoric.

Man, I played so many games in the early 2000s they all sort of blend together, I'm trying to think...

For sheer cohesive design I would say Magi-Nation.  The cartoonish design of the borders and text boxes was just elaborate enough to REALLY accentuate the art pieces but not too goofy looking to make the older players feel childish.

VS system had good colors and I liked the curves to the text boxes.  Straightforward on the game elements as well.

I also was a big fan of YYH, for the same reasons as Magi-nation.  really good cohesion between the card design and the IP style.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:00 AM, Stryyder said:

MTG is still king.  Simple design elements, great art, story driven flavor text, easy to understand symbols.  Pokémon is well constructed for gameplay, but the VG gimmicks like height, weight, etc never really served any purpose and I doubt ANYONE would notice if tPCI did away with those.

Marvel Overpower was nice because of the large art pieces and straightforward game elements, but the "Yellow on 2 sides" minimalism of the Special cards seemed somewhat sophomoric.

Man, I played so many games in the early 2000s they all sort of blend together, I'm trying to think...

For sheer cohesive design I would say Magi-Nation.  The cartoonish design of the borders and text boxes was just elaborate enough to REALLY accentuate the art pieces but not too goofy looking to make the older players feel childish.

VS system had good colors and I liked the curves to the text boxes.  Straightforward on the game elements as well.

I also was a big fan of YYH, for the same reasons as Magi-nation.  really good cohesion between the card design and the IP style.

The vg aspects were partially used during Diamond and Pearl. They used Level as a mechanic. I agree you though.

I didn't have much to comment on before, but I chose to drudge this up because I don't think I thought about YGO before and how it was on the cusp of doing something very smart. I am a very strong believer that GT and the OCG did the right thing having the card type on the side. Fan your hand and it's easy to see what you have. YGO nearly does this up the top, with star level and spell or trap type. Thing is, it's made for some freak who fans their cards from right to left instead of left to right.

I agree, the MTG one is really one of the best, if not the, but that hand fanning idea. It's cumbersome, but good utility wise imo. I guess names should just circumvent this period once you learn your cards, but I love the idea. I just have the feeling if you aligned YGO on the left instead of right, it'd protect the image, unlike what GT and OCG did

While I didn't play MtG, I do think it probably has the best template from what I remember seeing.

YGO has two formats or whatever it's called, TCG (English, etc.) and OCG (Japanese, etc).  Before a certain point, the text was very cluttered.  Currently, at least on OCG side of things, they numbered the effects so it's slightly easier to track down the beginning of an effect statement.  At least the template gets straight to the point with YGO in general.  Haven't played for a couple of years so I could be wrong.  Also, it reads from right to left because that's how most Asian countries read their text.  Top to bottom, right to left.  Studied it since over ten years ago so things could have changed by now.  Though, we did write left to right.