Artificial Human

Score, Sabertooth, DBZ, Epic Battles and UFS

Today I discovered Epic Battles by Score Entertainment. It got me thinking about a few things and I wanted to bring it up here because we have people who have worked on both DBZ and UFS as posters.

So Epic Battles is a fairly obscure TCG, from what I can gather it was only only sold at Blockbuster Video of all venues which just adds to the obscureness. The game was essentially a modified DBZ. It removed Power Stages completely, but all attacks had costs, paid for by removing cards from the discard pile. Events are played like Trap cards from YGO, Attacks have types ala UFS and you can chain attacks together to create combos, your opponent unable to perform attacks in-between. But how combat largely worked, card types, hand size, ect. It was fairly obvious what they did.

A few little things to note though. This game used Fighting Game Properties. The images came from Udon. What other game shares those attributes? Ah huh. UFS. There is also another little note with UFS. Epic Battles existed between Sep 05 and July 06. The Sets were Street Fighter, MK, a second MK set and Tekken, with a cancelled Darkstalkers set. UFS started in February of 06 and by April, had Street Fighter and Soul Calibur. Within the year, they had SNK too.

The reason I bring this up is it seems similar to what Panini has done lately. The whole floating license game is exactly what Meta X is, but more notably, they dropped the game within four months of UFS launching. UFS only grabbed Street Fighter of the things Score had used and used it some 7 months after. This is probably to do with license agreements as the sets after UFS were not used by UFS for ages and the other capcom license was cancelled, but they seemed to close up shop real fast.

I just find this whole scenario interesting.

I don't think licensing was a big reason why Epic Battles failed, I want to say it was more that it released in the death throes of Score Entertainment.  DBZ had folded, YYH died from power creep, Inuyasha as well, Bleach was kind of popular but disillusioned Score players were already leaving and their last few games (Dragon Booster, Sonic X) just didn't go ANYWHERE.  EB was a final hurrah that was doomed to failure because it couldn't single-handedly bring Score out of the dumpster.

Granted that's just how things looked from my perspective.  in 2005 I pretty much gave up games altogether for a few years when I moved from FL to CA.

On 9/26/2017 at 9:54 AM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I remember Epic Battles having A LOT more than just those though. They had all kinds of random stuff like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Pirates of the Caribbean of all things.

Those games belonged to a system called the Quickstrike system based off of the even older tcg by upperdeck Shaman King. As for epic battle im still VERY interested in finding product for it as well as the short lived and heavily criticized DBZ TCG (not the ccg) also by score. Just to brag a bit.. Ive got a full set of the Avatar Quickstrike system (minus the impossible to find Action figures and Burgerking toy line)

12 hours ago, ImDoneItsOver said:

Those games belonged to a system called the Quickstrike system based off of the even older tcg by upperdeck Shaman King. As for epic battle im still VERY interested in finding product for it as well as the short lived and heavily criticized DBZ TCG (not the ccg) also by score. Just to brag a bit.. Ive got a full set of the Avatar Quickstrike system (minus the impossible to find Action figures and Burgerking toy line)

I have an Avatar card from that that came in, no joke, a box of band aids lol