cytorak

FanZ Set 10 - "Revelation"

https://fanztcg.wordpress.com/2017/09/30/introducing-dragon-ball-z-revelation/

The new set is called Revelation.  The release date is November 15th, with previews starting  October 15th. The biggest news is that MPs will now be coded with traits. For example, Kami will have the  God and Namekian traits. Traits will determine special effects available to specific MPs, like this recoded Blue Terror (to be unfrozen for the FanZ variant:

bt10.png

For MPs without the God trait, Blue Terror is just a vanilla energy attack. However, God characters get to use the search ability. 

Discuss.

I won't be making many comments in regards to Traits, or the idea of a new mechanic yet, since we've not fully seen how it's going to be implemented.

What I WILL say, however, is god DAMN I love the visual identifiers for them. They're succinct, don't take up too much space, and translate the message fairly obviously to you. This feels like something the main game should've implemented from the start, and if we ever do see a commercial recommencement of the game again, that's definitely something they need to start out with.

For those not following, the post from Z Warriors Gather doesn't seem to have any misleading information. This means we are looking at the following as MPs:

Krillin
Goten
No18
Dabra
Supreme Kai

There are some individual levels here too, but we have a full 8 Stacks as per norm. This means we're only missing 3 sets and where it gets interesting. I think Spopvich and Videl are no brainers, absolutely.

This leaves Gohan and Trunks as the main contenders of the last slot. It's really hard to choose with these two as they both have 13 levels as is due to the asinine 'Future = Present' thing they're running with. I think it's more likely to be Trunks though, because Goten.

I think the 'patch up weaker MPs' are probably Piccolo, Satan, maybe Evolution Vegeta and this is probably where we see Great Saiyaman. There is Nail who desperately needs it, but he doesn't fit the set outside of a Piccolo level that does both Piccolo and Nail.

What I do think is interesting is we can kinda see what the next set is now. Majin Vegeta, SS2 Goku, Pui Pui and Yakon. I really can't see them doing more Heroes after the Hero heavy Set 10. I can't see Mighty Mask either.

Movie Set is probably Broly, Bojack and Hitchiyack with new levels for Cooler, Turles, Slug and probably Videl.

Then we get to the Boo Saga with Set 12 and I think we're looking at Majin Boo, Majin Vegeta, Majin Babidi, Majin Dabra, Gotenks, SS3 Goku and honestly, the last two I can't pick. :/ Maybe we finally get Dende and Mr Popo? Old Kai? VAN ZANT?! Yeah. Van Zant. MAKE IT HAPPEN JOEY. Probably Goten and Trunks.

13 is probably Gohan, Vegeto, Super Boo, Kid Boo, Pan and new levels for Satan, Goku, Vegeta, Goten and Trunks. I can't see them doing Kid Boo as it's own set this time around.

14 would be Gogeta, Janemba, Tapion and Hirudagarn.

After this, hard to say where they go. Do they do BoG and R:F, do they do an Anthologies set to patch things up? Who knows?

Videl is absolutely going to make it in.

As much as I want to say we would get a Gohan MP stack for the great saiyaman, I don't believe we will since we had Future Gohan and Awakening Gohan fairly recently. I believe they are doing a new piccolo stack to cover Namekian.

Like you, I think Kid Trunks will actually be in the running due to Goten getting a stack and all the talk I've been hearing about making Kid Trunks different from Future Trunks.

Means the 8 MP stacks should be:
Krillin
Goten
Dabura
Supreme Kai
Videl
Piccolo
Kid Trunks

1 off MPs: (I think there will be 4 of them)
Hercule
Yamcha
???
???

I don't have any recollection of what those last two one offs are. I'm sure I've heard something somewhere but I honestly don't remember.

They're taking the traits farther than before, but "Saiyan" and "Namekian" should've always been printed on the cards somewhere especially if Gohan can use Namekian. With the improvements made to the game under Panini, nobody thought it was dumb that players (fan of the show or not) STILL have to reference the rulebook to see who falls under Saiyan/Namekian? Especially when you design allies like Turles where Saiyan count matters.

Excited for new Android cards that work better with Android characters. It's what they should've been in Pan Z. Hoping 18 gets a new named card too.

I'm still for Great Saiyaman as his own MP so we have another six style user. Kid Trunks to be his own MP would be great but since they didn't list him with Goten I'm thinking they're going to do the stupid thing and let him mix with "Trunks".

Seeing how Van Zant was the real villain of the Buu Saga and earthling is a trait now... who knows?

Asking on Retro, they seem very coy on whether Spopovich is in 10 or not. At this moment, I'd lean towards no. Which is a shame, as he's at the very least, more important to the storyline than 18 and Krillin. Besides, his Score Version is, ah, not good.

Still feels weird that this is arguably the first set to contain more Hero MP's than Villains with the only one confirmed being Dabura as of late. If I had to guess what other Villain MP might be included in Set 10 it'd probably be Babidi over Spopovich.

19 minutes ago, Artificial Human said:

I don't understand why it's Freestyle. I just look at that effect and think to myself 'that's a Namekian or Saiyan card alright.'

:(

Because these are the same devs that put too much into freestyle cards when it was still produced for money. 

1 hour ago, Majin Goo said:

Because these are the same devs that put too much into freestyle cards when it was still produced for money. 

That's the thing. I love to rag on these people like the best of them, I don't think their design style produces much quality, but 8 and 9 were really good for Freestyle. Nothing that was an instant staple or format warping.

This card is a really shit return to form and I don't like it.

tbh, my immediate response is to just try and figure out what personality can abuse that attack the best.

I mean, it's alien-locked for the second effect. So I guess Chilled, or Frieza? Maybe Ginyu?

Well, we also know that Dabura will most likely have the God trait, since he's the Demon King. Questionable on if Babidi will get it or not, since he's god-esque in his own way. If he does get it, then he's probably not going to be able to use it.

The Majins will all likely be looking at using it, depending on how they're done. But in regards to our current state, I actually think Frieza and Cooler at the best personalities for it, and Chilled is  contender in the background?

Majins have their own tag. Babidi may have Alien, unless they're fully ripping off Super's card game.

So ah, yeah. This is from the person who does the card creation for Fan Z. Context is questioning the colour identity of this card:

Michael R. Martin: And anger is a color identity of Red. Anti anger is a color identity of Blue.

Michael R. Martin: Rejuvenating is also a general mechanic. Namekian just does it better then others. I think everyone should have some way of getting important cards back into their deck.

Michael R. Martin: There's really no true color identity in this game. Every style just does certain things better then the others.

So. This is a thing. The last one is a very negative thing in particular.

Why do we even have styles? What is the point?

He probably meant absolutes. Every Style has anger gain but Red and Saiyan do it best. All Styles have Rejuvenation but Namekian does it best. It's also kind of misleading to just call it a Freestyle when most Personalities won't be able to get the second play, presumably when the card is considered good enough to run. If anything it might be considered too good a card for most Namekians and the Alien requirement prevents that from being an issue, like how Cooler would be pretty ridiculous if he had access to Namekian. This and how annoying Rejuvenating 2 Cell's Provocations with 1 card would be is probably why the card has the 2 Trait limit in the first place, since Cell would be an already strong Namekian-Alien able to use it twice while running a Namekian Rejuve toolbox far better than any other Style's. Targeted Rejuve has mostly been kept out of Namekian's reach(Kami can do it and is Namekian), to the point where you could say it specifically isn't a part of the Style. Saiyan actually has the most I think.

If a Namekian considered it worthwhile this could still be run and activate once. The Kai should be God/Alien and have access to both this and Blue Terror. Freeza can Rejuvenate his named cards, potentially triggering Frieza's Arrogance twice. Pikkon plays it twice and his Named card has a Rejuv trigger. Tien isn't an Alien but Preparation getting Rejuvenated does draw a card and at Level 4 he can use it twice anyways. I think the Trait does a good job of pushing this "Freestyle" card into some specific functions depending on who is using it and in what Style it's being used, so I don't see the big issue. My bigger problem would be if Trait cards become as obvious an addition to your deck as a majority of Named cards are since that would lead to a lot of boring autofill.

Would've been better off doing previews of all the new Mastery cards first to get more players talking about what new decks they might end up building instead of keeping us in suspense with other new cards in the set that could've been spoiled later on.

Not to say that these first new previews are bad, but it doesn't help the game overall when the rest of the remaining player base are under the loop with these types of preview choices.