Artificial Human

Dragon Ball Z OCG - Opinions?

I just found out this was a thing. I knew there was a database for the old TCG under the name OCG, but I didn't know it was a full fledged thing that died with Pan Z's release.

I have to admit, I like a lot about it from what I've seen. Rogue very liberally used, Level 5s galore, cards restricted to certain Masteries, damage seems scaled back and very little Endurance. The new stuff that isn't 'Best of Z' can be very unique and interesting. Even the template is nice. Colours are a bit garish, but it's nice. Same used for Retro's Virtual Sets.

Did anyone play this? How was it in comparison to Pan Z, GT and Score Z?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Dragon-Ball-Z-OCG-143299595689043/photos/?tab=albums

I've heard of that game, and yes, it was nice, it's a pity that developers didn't pursue the project, it would have been an interesting addition to TCGs.

I never played GT, but I really enjoyed the OCG. It was an extension of the Score game (MP Levels 4/5 and Masteries were optional, deck size had a range instead of a set limit) , so it was more in line with that than PanZ.

The biggest change was how the combat step worked:

1. Draw Step:You look at the top 6 cards of your Life Deck,put them back in any order, and then draw 3 cards.
  2. Non-Combat Step: You may play Allies, Dragon Balls, Locations, and Non- Combat cards face-up from your hand and leave them on the table.
  3. Power-Up Step:
    1. Gain Power Stages! You now power-up your MP and all your Allies by raising their power stages equal to their Power-Up Rating (PUR) found on their Personality cards.
    2. Declare Combat? If you are going to enter Combat, you must declare it to your opponent at this time and then go to the Combat Step. If you choose not to declare Combat, you go directly to the Rejuvenation Step.
  4. Combat Step:
    1. Prepare Phase: You and the Defender prepare for the fight by doing any effects that occur “When entering combat.” The Defender looks and rearranges the top 6 cards of his Life Deck and draws 3 cards.
    2. Alternating Attack Phases: You and the Defender now battle it out in alternating Attack Phases. You get the first Attack Phase to either attack or use a card power. Afterward, the Defender gets an Attack Base to attack or use a card power. This goes back and forth until you both pass in back-to- back Attack Phases. Then, the Combat Step
      ends.
  5. Rejuvenation Step: First both players discard down to 1 card in hand. If you skipped the Combat Step, you may choose to have both of you take the top card of each of your Discard Piles and put them at the bottom of each of your Life Decks.

As you might suspect, being able to check at the top 6 each turn made it pretty easy for control decks to run amok. There was a dark period where Orange Tactical Mastery ruled the scene, and it was more or less a race to Caught Off Guard Drill to shut off your opponent's Drill tech.

Regardless of that, one neat thing was that there were tournaments that gave prizes like being able to create an MP or a card. There was also a League, where you got points for doing certain things (playing with an "Underdog" MP, using one of the less popular masteries, etc.), and you could use those points to also create things like new Named cards or even TIAWT-level staples (with an insane amount of points).

I'd love to have access to that game in OCTGN again. I think I still have the files for each set of cards, but I don't think the overall game file works anymore. I can't imagine that it's much different from the PanZ one, but maybe someone could show me the ropes to reinstate that as a game?

18 minutes ago, cytorak said:

As you might suspect, being able to check at the top 6 each turn made it pretty easy for control decks to run amok.

I did not play the OCG, but Score GT had this rule also, which was a HUGE change from pre-GT score and was the main reason why I quit the game shortly after GT released.  My only big-event GT tournament was filled with annoying control decks.  As an aggro player (I have never seriously played anything but survival victory for both Score Z and Pan Z), I was so frustrated that I sold all my Score cards in order to cash in before the game eventually ran its course.

While I definitely got all my money back, I wish I'd have kept the notables and good commons/uncommons just so I could build decks for fun.  Who could have guessed the fusion format would come up and spike the value of those cards...

I've played all versions of this game, and I really enjoyed the OCG. Kudos again to the developers and playtesters for all the time they put in (if you read this)!

I thought the game was decently balanced. I definitely remember the days of Orange Tactical Mastery dominating, but overall the meta evolved over the sets. There were decent online tournaments where you had a certain number of days to contact your opponent and get a game done. Organizationally it wasn't perfect, but it was super fun, and easy to make and test decks. 

The "look at top 6" rule that originated in GT definitely have a little edge to control and stasis, but if you played smart it helped out beatdown and speed decks too (I piloted a pretty awesome Red Goku speed anger that utilized Spirit Bombs)

Overall super fun imo. Many of the cards were direct reprints of the original Score CCG, so it all seemed very familiar. It was the reason I got back into DBZ and was so hyped for Panini a few years later.