MrVernmeister

Is this game DOA

Apparently one of my locals plays it, but the manager of the store is a friend of the distributor here, so...

No store unaffiliated with TAK Games seems to give two shits. All Dragon Ball Super, Vanguard, Magic, YGO and a little Final Fantasy. Even Pokemon doesn't seem to be getting much action these days.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:33 PM, MrVernmeister said:

Does anyone actually play this?  I know there were decklists posted, but no tournament posts etc... only seems to be thriving according to Panini(slightly biased)

I had an email from Aik telling me that Afterworld was doing very well for a game that wasn't well known... I didn't buy any product after that. He also told me he was getting ready for set 2 and that was just a little after PanZ died... The point is, Panini, or any business for that matter, are normally going to tell you their product is doing great whether it is or not. 

I just checked their main website and this game is listed as Justice League in the menus. Most people I know that are into DC/Marvel games are playing the LCG's or Heroclix. I wouldn't say dead on arrival but it has to be in ICU right now waiting for the next license. I think they relied too heavily on the Retro scene to build their player base again and it bit them in the ass. With Super taking a bunch of people, some people sticking it out with FanZ, and others swearing off Panini or TCG's altogether, there wasn't a lot left in Retro for them. They did do some LGS advertisement but it wasn't near what it should have been and some stores I'm sure are questioning whether or not to have product from Panini, and rightfully so. 

The other issue is that set 2 is still DC which won't bring in anybody who wasn't already playing unless they LOVE multi-colored Lanterns. Must be a two set contract thing because they REALLY needed to showcase multiple licenses off the bat like UFS did.

10 hours ago, Mysterious Youth said:

The other issue is that set 2 is still DC which won't bring in anybody who wasn't already playing unless they LOVE multi-colored Lanterns. Must be a two set contract thing because they REALLY needed to showcase multiple licenses off the bat like UFS did.

This is true. Most people still think this is a DC Card Game (and Panini actually calling it the "Justice League Card Game" certainly didnt help either). So Set 2 is going to further misdirect people. Honestly, I am going to be surprised if they make it to Attack on Titan.

I actually tried to get into it.  I wanted to focus on it instead of DBS, but it just wasn't in the cards (pun intended).  The game really is fun as hell, but there is no scene.  I played in one sealed deck at Gencon, which was pretty fun but unfortunately biased toward the Cyborg/GL deck (GL draw power in sealed is nuts).  The problem I had mostly was drawing dead for several turns, either because my field was clogged and I drew only characters or all the battle cards I drew couldn't be used by the characters I had played.  of course this problem is more unique to sealed, since Draft and constructed formats you can mitigate this through deckbuilding.

But the players just aren't there.  My area is bone dry.  No one is selling it, no one is playing it.  2 DC sets wasn't necessary, but from rumors I heard, they had to wait until 2018 for the AoT license to lapse from other companies (likely Cryptozoic) before they could release that set.  And honestly, I'm 50/50 on AoT.  I enjoy it, the second season more than the first, but after the Deck building game and the semi-co-op board game, I've got my fix.

I think they'll get to AoT, but if that doesn't open up their sales, I doubt it will go far past that.  They were supposed to announce some semblance of OP including cash prizes shortly after release and nothing so far.  That in itself could have increased sales, but now I'm left wondering, are they holding back due to a lackluster release?  Time will tell.

That is actually a really good point about OP. They announced awhile ago that they had big plans for OP like regionals and such. DBS already has their regional info up, which I don't think anyone expected them to get the jump on with before MetaX.

DBS regional info was horribly rushed though.  Instead of Bandai putting together a schedule, sussing out locations and properly making a tier structure (regional, national, world, etc) they threw it to ARG, told them "Hold events for 3 months" and let Jim take care of everything.  To Jim's credit, he expanded out his original plan to host 6 events, but the placement of the events is ridiculous.  At least half are on the east coast (CT, VA and FL) and only ONE (NV) is farther west than the great lakes.  I've never been a fan of ARG events, but Jim has done as much as he can to spread the love.  The long and short of it is, though, they are based on the east coast, they don't have enough contacts in the west, they don't have enough revenue to gamble on events out here.  But also, Bandai throwing everything in his lap is also to blame.  Give it a couple more weeks.  Drop set 2 then spend Nov/Dec working out the schedule, budgeting and let loose with a proper regional structure in 2018.  Not to mention the prizes are a little suspect, 25 tournament packs to 1st place.  That's pretty good for now, but set 2 packs will likely start flooding the market and by the last few events the value of tournament promos will likely be down in the dirt.

Being in Cali my judgement is a little skewed, but honestly I wouldn't mind making the trek out to Vegas, it's always a fun time.  Personally it won't work for me though, since any day now I'll have a newborn to take care of.

All in all, kudos to ARG and Bandai for getting some events going, but slops for the disorganization and scarcity in certain regions.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I am coming on the opposite side of that spectrum. Since we usually get DICK here in FL I am super happy that for once california/new york doesnt have everything

but to be fair tho you guys over there have a couple big 1Ks coming up.

Cali rarely gets much though, or at least for games I play.  We got ONE regional is Socal through the whole run of PanZ.  Anything up in Norcal is just as bad as going to Vegas.  We've got the CoreTCG event at the end of next week, but aside from the prizing that one is pretty shitty.  Running a set 2 tournament the day after release is going to suck for those whose product doesn't come in on time and leaves little time to test with ALL the cards available.  But props to Core for the ridiculous prize pool.

as for the 1Ks, that's going to be kind of a weak series.  I think it's 4 events spread over 4 consecutive weekends.  That is WAY too many too quickly.  I doubt the attendance numbers are going to be constant.  but who knows.

Yeah, we're getting SOME events, which is cool, but the way they are being scheduled is suspect and it's still not an official regional.