Stryyder

Rules Manual Set 2 Update - What does it mean?

So some of you may have noticed that the latest version of the DBS rules manual and play manual went live on the main website.  These documents now include descriptions and rulings for new mechanics in set 2 such as Union, Tokens and Indestructible.  So let's take a moment to break down what all was added to the Rules Manual. (you can find it here: http://www.dbs-cardgame.com/pdf/rulemanual.pdf?Update=20171025 - Changes/additions are indicated by red text.)

Section 1 - Game Outline

No changes

Section 2 - Card Data

2-11-1-1-1 and 2-11-1-2-1: There are some cards in the new set that reduce energy costs for Battle cards or Event cards.  This causes a problem between "Total Cost", which is how much TOTAL energy you normally pay to play the card, and "Specified Cost", which is how many energy of a SPECIFIC COLOR you must use to play that card.  For example, a card with an icon in the upper left that says "4" and has 2 smaller red dots around it has a "Total Cost" of 4 and a "Specified cost" of 2 red, meaning you must rest 4 energy to play that card and at least 2 of them MUST be red.

The added rules in the sections above state that if the cost of a card would be reduced BELOW the "Specified Cost", you must still pay that specified cost MINIMUM.  So with the example card above, regardless how much you reduce the cost, you would have to pay a minimum of 2 red energy to play the card.

Section 3 - Game Areas

There are 2 small clarifications in this section:

3-6-7 - There is no limit to the amount of Extra Cards that can be in the Battle Area, but you may only have ONE field card in your Battle Area at one time.

3-7-3-1 - You may ONLY combo with cards that have both a combo cost AND combo power.

Section 4 - Basic Terms

No changes

Section 5 - Game Preparation

5-2-1-3 - This addition clarifies WHEN during the preparation players may search for cards that their leaders put in play at the beginning of the game (Such as Babidi).  The order so far is 1) Present your deck and leader, 2) Place your leader card in the leader area, 3) "when this card is placed in the Leader Area" checkpoint, 4) Decide starting player, etc etc...

Section 6 - Game Progress

No changes

Section 7 - Card Attacking and Battle

7-3-1-2-1 - Small clarification specifying only non-turn player may use their in-play battle cards for combo during their defense step (turn player does so during the Offense step).

Section 8 - Activating and Resolving Skills

No changes

Section 9 - Rule Processing

9-4 - evolve skills and union skills direct players to place certain cards on top of other cards.  These actions are processed with the "Interruptive rule" processing (9-1-2-1).  This means that once the skill or play has been paid for and resolved, with any counter: play skills resolved, the cards are played on top, regardless of other effects currently pending and no other skills may be activated before that card is placed.  Also, cards placed on top of other cards in play all modifiers and information on the base card is transferred to the card placed on top.

Section 10 - Keywords and Keyword Skills

LOTS of updates here

10-10 - [Once Per Turn] has been specified as a keyword.

10-11 - Indestructible - New Skill - Indestructible has been clarified.  It is classified as a [Permanent] skill and cards with this skill cannot be KO-ed during battle or removed from the battle area by your OPPONENT'S card skills.

10-12, 10-13, 10-14 - Union - New Skill - Union has been classified as an [Activate: Main] skill and is divided into 3 different types: Fusion, Potara and Absorb.  (NOTE: the rule manual seems to classify Union Potara and Fusion as [Activate: Main] but Union Absorb simply as [Activate] with no timing quantity.  However in the description on the new Play manual it states as a blanket statement that "Union" skills may be activated during the Main Phase.)

Union-Fusion - This skill may only be activated from the HAND and only if you have the 2 characters specified in the text box in your hand, in addition both must have the SAME POWER.  Pay the Union cost, send the 2 specified character battle cards from your hand to the Drop Area and then play the Union-Fusion card to the battle zone. (NOTE: The rule manual does not specify where the specified cards must come from, but the description in the Play Manual states they must come from your hand.)

Union-Potara - This skill may only be activated from the HAND and only if you have the 2 characters specified in the text box in your battle area.  Pay the Union cost and play the card from your hand on top of the 2 specified character battle cards.

Union-Absorb - This skill may only be activated while the card is in the battle area.  Pay the skill cost and take the specified card from the specified area and place it on top of the Union-Absorb battle card.  Cards placed on Union-Absorb cards retain the modifiers, position and other effects that were on the card it was placed on.  As with Evolve, the stack is considered 1 card.

10-15 - Ultimate - New Skill - Ultimate has been classified as a [Permanent] skill.  A player's deck may ONLY contain ONE card with the Ultimate skill.

10-16 Tokens - New cards in set 2 can now bring Tokens into play.  These Tokens act as specific cards with specific traits as denoted on the card that brings them into play, they are also governed by specific rules;
* Tokens count as Battle Cards.
* Tokens have the same information as cards (Color, name, etc), as specified by the skill which creates them.  (NOTE: my interpretation of this, per 10-16-2, is that if the skill that creates them does not specify something, such as color, the token does not have that information.  Thus cards that target specific colors could not target Tokens.  An email has been sent to Bandai to confirm this.)
* By default, Tokens enter the Battle Area of the player who used the skill to create them.
* A token's name is equal to the type of token specified in the Skill. (i.e. a "Cell Jr." Token will have the Name Cell Jr.).  This means if that name is specified by a skill in <<<>>> it can target that token.
* Skills and effects that target normal cards can, generally, also target Tokens.
* When a token would be moved from the Battle or Combo areas to any other area remove that token from the game instead.

10-17 - Remove from the game is now an official game mechanic and is pretty self explanatory.  Cards that are removed from the game must remain face up for all players to see and do not count as being in any "area".

Section 11 - Other

11-2 When moving cards between hidden areas, those cards MUST be revealed even if the card does not say so. (i.e., "Add a <Son Goku> from your deck to your hand.")  NOTE - unlike with other "cherry picking rules" this rule does not seem to make any exception for all-purpose searches (i.e. search your deck for a card and put it in your hand or shuffle a card from your hand into your deck), thus for now any such effects would still require the card be revealed.

11-3 - card stacks are slightly clarified with the following:
* Cards placed on top or below existing cards in play are always placed in the topmost or bottommost positions. (i.e., if you have a stack of 2 cards in play and another card would be placed under it, it must be placed at the bottom of the stack)
* Only the topmost card of a stack is active.
* If a stack would be moved to an area other than the battle or combo areas the top card is moved to that area and the remaining cards underneath it are sent to the drop area. (Any auto skills on the cards underneath the active card triggered by area movement do NOT activate)
* If a card specifically states to move only the top card of a stack, the next card in the stack will now be the active card of the stack and will gain any modifiers or information that affected the previous top card.

That should be about it.  Any questions or corrections are welcome.

I couldnt understand what they were talking about in section 2-11 so thanks for that clarification. Correct me if I am wrong, but this means if a card has any specific cost it can never cost nothing to play?

Also I am glad you asked about the color of tokens because that is my big concern. I wish they were more specific in this update.

Thanks for the write up dood!

My concern about the tokens was cost. So, after you create the tokens, they are considered battle cards with a certain color. But they do not have an "energy cost" per se. I'm assuming they can't be targeted by skills like Cell's ability that target battle cards with a certain energy cost.

2 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I couldnt understand what they were talking about in section 2-11 so thanks for that clarification. Correct me if I am wrong, but this means if a card has any specific cost it can never cost nothing to play?

Also I am glad you asked about the color of tokens because that is my big concern. I wish they were more specific in this update.

Thanks for the write up dood!

Yes and no.  Generally, cards can NOT cost less than their Specific Cost.  However, for every rule there is a card breaking it.  Apparently the new Frieza leader from the draft box contains text saying that if the cost is reduced to 0 you can play cards for free.

43 minutes ago, mrcharlez said:

My concern about the tokens was cost. So, after you create the tokens, they are considered battle cards with a certain color. But they do not have an "energy cost" per se. I'm assuming they can't be targeted by skills like Cell's ability that target battle cards with a certain energy cost.

They aren't necessarily a certain color, as all the token creation skills so far have only stated Power, Combo Power and/or Combo Cost.  No word yet if Tokens will have a color or cost, so that's up in the air so far.

Unfortunately the response I got back on Tokens was "we are not answering questions about unreleased cards", so we may have to wait for 11/3 for that.  Though, hopefully all these questions being asked will trigger a release day Rule Manual update.

I really hope they have another Q&A before the set comes out. Because there are a lot of questions that people are asking that wont have an answer when people start having drafts and such when the set comes out next week.

So after more consideration, I am more convinced that any information NOT included in the effect that creates a token, does not exist on that token.  The reason is the update on 3-7-3-1.  This states that a card cannot be used to combo if it doesn't have both a Combo Cost and Combo Power.  Considering there are no physical battle cards so far that do not have both of those, I can only infer that this rule was meant to apply to tokens.  In other words, if a token is created by a Skill that does not specify a combo power and/or cost, you cannot use that token to combo.

This assumption was bolstered by Chilled leader, which specifically gives your Chilled Army tokens that are ALREADY IN PLAY a combo cost/power.  This says to me that they do not have it because the skills creating them don't specify that they do, hence you need a separate skill to give it to them.

Ok, it's official.  New updates to the main website's Q&A section, further fleshing out the new mechanics like Indestructible, Tokens, Union, etc.  Here are a few clarifications to note:

Tokens - Tokens do NOT have an energy cost unless the creating effect specifies they do.  This would corroborate that Tokens ONLY have as much information as the creating effect would give them.

Indestructible - This skill protects against the opponent's effects only, but when given a choice, a card with Indestructible CAN be targeted, even though it won't go to the drop area.  For example, if your opponent has Awakened Broly leader you may choose your Indestructible battle card as the target for his Skill, to essentially making it useless.  However if it is YOUR Awakened Broly leader and you choose your indestructible card, it WILL go to the drop area.

Mafuba - Contrary to the rules Mafuba does NOT stop "When attacking" Auto effects.  The attack order shows that Autos "activate" after counter window and Mafuba specifically says the card's skills CAN'T "activate" but apparently Bandai decided they didn't want to pay attention to that tidbit.

Also, as part of the Token ruling:

Cards like combo Goten that specify a card has a specific energy cost (i.e. "KO a battle card with Energy cost 3 or less") cannot target tokens, since they have NO energy cost.

However, cards like Bardock or Kale that specify a number of battle cards whose total costs add up (i.e. "KO any number of battle cards whose cost add up to 3 or less) CAN target Tokens, since the effect does not specify that the targets HAVE a cost, just that they be battle cards and, as a group, don't exceed a certain cost.  (In other words if you target 2 Cabba and 5 Chilled Army tokens, 1+1+*+*+*+*+*=2, which is less than 3).

1 hour ago, Stryyder said:

just that they be battle cards and, as a group, don't exceed a certain cost.  (In other words if you target 2 Cabba and 5 Chilled Army tokens, 1+1+*+*+*+*+*=2, which is less than 3).

That's so dumb and I love it till I end up playing tokens XD