Stryyder

Super Mario Odyssey

So enough with all this "fighting game" nonsense, no one plays those.  let's get into some REAL hardcore gaming....MARIO!!

Seriously, though, Mario Odyssey is officially out and I am officially on board.  I went the digital route, simply because I have a pretty sizeable memory card in my system and it's easier than swapping cartridges.  Not to mention I live on the west coast, so I was able to purchase and download the game on Tuesday, then last night at 9 I just had to do a little 1 minute update and I was up and flinging cappy like nobody's business.

So I got to play for an hour or two last night before hitting the hay (stupid "job", making me get up in the morning).  Went through the basic intro, one small introductory island, a smallish "first" world and stopped just as I got to the next.  The game is quite fun so far.  Cappy is a fun weapon to wield and pretty useful.  So far I've been able to possess a frog, a chain chomp and a T-Rex (the latter being rendered in a realistic design, not a "Mario world" cartoon design).  I can already feel that I'm missing things on islands I've been to.  Each world seems to have normal coins as well as its own unique coins that let you buy world specific items.  A LOT of the terrain can be interacted with.  We're definitely back in the style of Mario 64, just no goofy "jump into painting, complete objective" gameplay.  It's all pretty open world each place you travel to, though with a LITTLE bit of leading so far.

I'm really looking forward to exploring more and seeing what other surprises are in store for everyone's favorite plumber.

I just made it to the Sand Kingdom. The game from what I can tell kinda fallows the M64 formula, selecting different stars change the level some. Here after you beat the boss of the world revisit it and new things will appear. Dino world had like 10 new moons I could get. 

I also found all the purple coins in dino land but I havent found a vender to exchange them at yet. 

I got the game yesterday, too.  Just did the inverted pyramid in sand kingdom last night.  I'll probably head back to dino dino island later today, but I have to leave to go on a hike first!

Mario's controls are super smooth and fun to use.  Rolling around is pretty awesome.  I'm looking forward to more shenanigans for sure!

I would say Mario Odyssey puts Nintendo at 3 - 0 for the Switch. It's probably one of the best Action/Adventure games for the year and shows Nintendo does remember how to make fun captivating games. As for the Switch, I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I play it. The games play great on TV or in portable mode and being able to walk up, grab it, and play it without having to wait for a movie to end or interrupt my family watching TV is actually more incredible than it sounds. 

I think you should get with a friend and try Odyssey. Mario 64 was great but it still felt limited and suffocating at times with how contained you were. Odyssey doesn't have that problem. There is a bit of direction at the start of each island, but once you finish that islands initial quest you're free to explore as you see fit. The NPC's are lively and really help create a great atmosphere and the controls aren't stiff like Mario 64 and Sunshine's.

After playing BoW, Mario Kart 8, Tetris & Puyo Puyo, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey I'm convinced my money was well spent. I plan on getting Pokken and I'm excitingly hoping for a Hyrule Warriors and a Sm4sh port announcement and can't wait for a Metroid game similar to Metroid Prime. I was skeptical when Nintendo stated this would be a console focused on gaming and gamers with apps and gimmicks being an after thought, but they've pulled it off. I'm hoping they have some great holiday season deals. If you can snatch one up with a few good games I promise you'll be impressed. I've hated Nintendo since the Wii and refused to give them any money console related after my initial disappointment with the Wii but the Switch has done it for me.

I also believe after Ultra Sun/Moon the next main Pokemon games will be Switch games, so expect them to push deals to put more Switches in peoples hands. 

Pokemon on Switch

I think it should also be said I absolutely hated both Galaxy games and thought Nintendo was deliberately fucking with us by assuming nothing could be worst than what was happening to Sonic at the time and we would just be grateful... glad I got that shit for free...

I don't know anyone with a Switch. I'm not terribly sure it's popular here, never had the shortages like other countries, only seen one being played in the wild.

I guess I'm even less interested in the Switch because I bought a WiiU, really liked the WiiU as a unit, but it never really went anywhere. This means the only unique things the Switch has for me is fairly minimal, even less when taste is taken into account.

But I have to hand it to Nintendo, their Odyssey ads sure are tempting.

If there isn't much enticing you to buy one then you probably shouldn't, or wait until an appropriate deal comes around. The worst thing anyone can do is buy something they weren't really wanting in the first place, but know that Odyssey is fun and awesome and I'll turn anyone that says otherwise into chocolate. 

7 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

I also believe after Ultra Sun/Moon the next main Pokemon games will be Switch games, so expect them to push deals to put more Switches in peoples hands. 

Pokemon on Switch

Unless the Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter apps become available for Switch eShop, I doubt anyone's going to want to own a Switch for Pokémon.

9 hours ago, Card Slinger J said:

Unless the Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter apps become available for Switch eShop, I doubt anyone's going to want to own a Switch for Pokémon.

This will most likely happen. It wouldn't be a hard conversion. They wouldn't have to change anything with how bank functions, just design an app for the Switch and update Bank to be compatible.  You already can't transfer back to or trade with generation 6 using generation 7. They don't have a problem pushing players forward and abandoning the previous generation.

I haven't read anything that says "exclusive" so most likely it will come out on DS and Switch with the Switch version having enhanced features, but I think Nintendo is starting to realize they've reached their limits with the DS. From a business perspective, if you can get people to upgrade to the Switch, that would be the cheapest option vs. trying to come out with another hardware upgrade. Generation 8 Pokemon may end-up being Nintendo's way of trying to show that to players. 

@Majin Goo You hated Galaxy???

I played a bit of Odyssey (i don't myself own a switch yet, i will be getting one on Cyber Monday) and HO-LEE KEE-RAP this game is FUN. My ONLY complaint I can levy against it is that since there is ZERO penalty or death the game feels way, WAY, WAAAYYY too easy. I foresee myself at a certain point possibly getting tired near the end of the game. It isn't a deal breaker but it does concern me for when I purchase it (and i will for sure. it will be my first Switch purchase no doubt). It definitely has that Disney World attraction quality to it. Which is great for awhile, but I can only go on Pirates of the Caribbean so many times ya know?

1 hour ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Yep. Hated Twilight Princess and Brawl too. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?  My blue Gohan vs. yours. 

1 hour ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I played a bit of Odyssey (i don't myself own a switch yet, i will be getting one on Cyber Monday) and HO-LEE KEE-RAP this game is FUN. My ONLY complaint I can levy against it is that since there is ZERO penalty or death the game feels way, WAY, WAAAYYY too easy. I foresee myself at a certain point possibly getting tired near the end of the game. It isn't a deal breaker but it does concern me for when I purchase it (and i will for sure. it will be my first Switch purchase no doubt). It definitely has that Disney World attraction quality to it. Which is great for awhile, but I can only go on Pirates of the Caribbean so many times ya know?

I've gotten pretty far and have remained engaged. I think the strong focus on atmosphere is its strongest factor. 

9 minutes ago, Majin Goo said:

Yep. Hated Twilight Princess and Brawl too. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?  My blue Gohan vs. yours.

Oh yeah Brawl sucked a barrel of dicks.

Don't care too much about Zelder tho, so I can't speak to that lol

I'm about 100 moons into Odyssey and I am still loving it.  I do share Shoryu's concern though.  It feels muuuuuch easier than Galaxy, which is fine?  Some people like it easier.  But despite their more linear layout, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED both Galaxy games.  I do agree that Odyssey has some great atmosphere, exploration, and charming NPCs, I'm not ready to compare it to Galaxy yet.  Galaxy might wind up coming out on top for me, but like I said, Odyssey still rules and I'm going to play the crap out of it.  You'd better believe it.

I do miss that satisfaction that you get from spending a significant amount of time pursuing one star.  I find moons so often in Odyssey they don't feel nearly as substantial.  On the other hand, I have to search EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY, which is pretty great.  Some of these things are very sneakily hidden.  Heck, I've found at least 3 because I made a jump fail and landed in some secret alcove...lol.

LUIGI's PURPLE COINS NEVER FORGET

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:32 AM, Vile said:

I also found all the purple coins in dino land but I havent found a vender to exchange them at yet. 

pretty sure that shop is right down the way from the ship, on your way into the main area of the level.  Hard to miss... (also, FYI you can only redeem one world's purple coins in that world's purple shop)

Ok, so a weekend later and I have "beaten" the game.  By "Beaten" I mean I beat up Bowser and finished the "captured Peach" storyline.  except now I find out that I have one brand new world to explore and I haven't even acquired 25% of the available moons in the game (fyi, there are 880 different power moons to collect, plus you can buy more from shops after you beat bowser, the max # it will go up to is 999 moons).  Plus getting more moons means unlocking more new outfits.  So there is still PLENTY to do post game.  Also, it looks like all the outfits that the different Amiibo unlock are not exclusive, you can actually unlock them all at some point after you beat the game without any Amiibo use.

So all in all, I had a blast with the game.  That last boss before you head to Bowsers castle was everything I've ever wanted in a Mario game.  Also Bowser's castle having a Japanese temple theme was really cool.

So now it looks like I will be spending some time exploring each world to get all their power moons and purple coins (some worlds have upwards of 70-99 moons!)

7 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

Yes.

But I don't have a Blue Gohan deck. :(

Joking aside, I really liked Twilight Princess. It's not memorable due for reasons I don't understand, I forget it way too fast after playing, but I always greatly enjoy it when I do. Compare that to Wind Waker, which is very memorable, but I really dislike playing either version of it.

I went back to dino land after finding a "hint painting" and saw the shop. I just finished the 'story' to new donk city and am at 258 moons. 

Wow, yeah I barely had 200 when I beat Bowser.  I loitered a little bit in each world, but eventually just wanted to move on and explore the new stuff.  I'll go back now and get more.

I just finished the ice world. I only need like, 5 moons in each world. Next up is the Beach Kingdom and I'm hyped. I want to adventure as a cheepcheep. I kinda wish the worlds were bigger to explore. 

On 10/29/2017 at 10:55 AM, Majin Goo said:

This will most likely happen. It wouldn't be a hard conversion. They wouldn't have to change anything with how bank functions, just design an app for the Switch and update Bank to be compatible.  You already can't transfer back to or trade with generation 6 using generation 7. They don't have a problem pushing players forward and abandoning the previous generation.

I haven't read anything that says "exclusive" so most likely it will come out on DS and Switch with the Switch version having enhanced features, but I think Nintendo is starting to realize they've reached their limits with the DS. From a business perspective, if you can get people to upgrade to the Switch, that would be the cheapest option vs. trying to come out with another hardware upgrade. Generation 8 Pokemon may end-up being Nintendo's way of trying to show that to players. 

Do you think that there will be another hard reboot to the main series Pokémon games similar to what happened when Nintendo reached their limits with the original Game Boy in regards to Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal before wiping the slate clean with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen on the Game Boy Advance?

If that's what it will take for the main series Pokémon games to feel fresh again without becoming as stale as Call of Duty with sequel after sequel then so be it. Maybe everyone will be happy they finally got that Pokémon MMO they've been waiting for all this time. What's that you wasted 14 years collecting, trading, and breeding Pokémon since generation 3? Sucks to be you I guess.

9 hours ago, Card Slinger J said:

Do you think that there will be another hard reboot to the main series Pokémon games similar to what happened when Nintendo reached their limits with the original Game Boy in regards to Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal before wiping the slate clean with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen on the Game Boy Advance?

If that's what it will take for the main series Pokémon games to feel fresh again without becoming as stale as Call of Duty with sequel after sequel then so be it. Maybe everyone will be happy they finally got that Pokémon MMO they've been waiting for all this time. What's that you wasted 14 years collecting, trading, and breeding Pokémon since generation 3? Sucks to be you I guess.

It's a possibility. Nintendo isn't afraid to take that risk. I suspect with the switch we may finally see our main RPGs evolve as well. 

With that said I don't think they'll risk destroying consumer confidence in Pokebank. We're not talking about losing a couple hundred Pokémon. Some people will lose near or over a thousand Pokémon. They made it possible to send GBA Pokémon to the DS games and Pokebank makes it too easy to move up to the Switch. 

Their decision when they moved from GBC to GBA was more likely due to hardware restrictions. 

21 hours ago, Vile said:

I just finished the ice world. I only need like, 5 moons in each world. Next up is the Beach Kingdom and I'm hyped. I want to adventure as a cheepcheep. I kinda wish the worlds were bigger to explore. 

Only 5 left in each world, yeah, keep believing that ;)

I'm starting back at the hat world and working through each to get all the coins and moons.  Just finished up Cascade and jumped into the Sand Kingdom to find there are 98 frickin' moons there.  Definitely seems like one of the largest of all the worlds. 

27 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Only 5 left in each world, yeah, keep believing that ;)

I'm starting back at the hat world and working through each to get all the coins and moons.  Just finished up Cascade and jumped into the Sand Kingdom to find there are 98 frickin' moons there.  Definitely seems like one of the largest of all the worlds. 

lol yeah.  Sand Kingdom is HUUUUUGE.  You guys are ahead of me by quite a bit.  I'm limiting my daily progress to stretch out the experience.  During Thanksgiving week I'll probably play the crap out of it, though.