Sign in to follow this  
James Mason

Timing of Extra during defense

Per the most recent rules document, it lists steps for the defending player and notes specifically "Proceed with the defense step by following the procedure below". It notes playing Extras just after combos. Since it makes reference to "following the procedure", this would indicate that once the defending player plays an Extra card such as Sensu Bean, they would not be able to go back and play more combo cards.

Can someone help confirm if this is the correct interpretation, if not please provide a reference.

-Thanks

7-3-1-2 notes that the non-turn player has "free timing" indicating that any of the actions below can be carried out in any order.  While activating the abilities of the leader or playing an extra card are listed after comboing with battle cards in the rulesbook, the free timing allows these actions to be carried out in any order.

Yeah, the way it is laid out could be much better.  Here's a good description:

The Main step, Offense Step and Defense steps in Dragon Ball Super employ a phase type referred to as "Free Timing".  During a Free Timing a player is given a set of actions that they may take during that Step.  These actions may be taken in any order, as many times as the player wants/can, with no general restrictions.

This breakdown illustrates:
1. Enter phase, resolve any "at the beginning of (this phase)" effects.
2. Enter Free timing
3. The active player chooses one of the legal actions for this phase and resolves it.
4. Repeat step 3 ad infinitum until the active player chooses to stop.
5. Proceed to the next game phase

Valid actions by step:

Main Step
* Play a Battle card from your hand
* Use an "Activate: Main" skill on one of your cards (including Extra cards from your hand)
* Activate your leader's Awaken Skill
* Rest your leader to attack your opponent's leader or one of their rest mode battle cards
* Rest one of your battle cards to attack your opponent's leader or one of their rest mode battle cards

Offense/Defense Step
* Place a battle card from your hand into your combo area
* Place an Active mode battle card from your battle area into your combo area
* Use an "Activate: Battle" skill on one of your cards (including Extra cards from your hand)
* Activate your leader's Awaken Skill

I was told a Tournement I had to activate Active:Battle abilitys before anyone played combo's. So I had to Sorbet before my opponents attacker combo step. 

Completely incorrect.  For reference to the Rules Manual:

4-6 describes how free Timings work, particularly 4-6-3 which says you choose an action to carry out, then return to the free timing, until you decide not to do any more actions.

Section 7 describes combat, sections to reference:

7-2 and 7-3, which describe the Offense Step and Defense Step respectively, particularly 7-2-1-2 and 7-3-1-2 which states these steps are free timings, and then subsequently lists what actions may be taken during this free timing (7-2-1-2-1 through 7-2-1-2-3 and 7-3-1-2-1 through 7-3-1-2-2-3 respectively) which includes Activate: Battle skills (7-2-1-2-3 and 7-3-1-2-2-2 respectively).

I went through the same thing.  I had been away from my locals for a few weeks, ended up going a week and a half ago and some group had moved in and convinced everyone that the order of actions as they were listed in the rules was the order you HAD to make them in (Combo from hand, then combo from field, then activates, then awaken, then end phase).  Someone tried to tell me the order at the end of the round and I had to explain to half a dozen people what "Free Timing" means.

Im not suprised he was wrong. He was tryingto fast play and nit give me a chance to counterball or coldblust. The venue as a whole turned me off and now I csn chalk into another reason. 

Like, how do you say the eviorment is relaxed and non competetive when the decks that night at Cell, Babidi black, and Black Goku with promos. I refused to go last time I was around even though they had T2 promos.