Sign in to follow this  
Card Slinger J

Net Neutrality 2017

So here's what's been going on since last month, President Trump's appointed Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai, a former lawyer from Verizon, announced a vote on a plan to end Net Neutrality on November 22nd, the day before Thanksgiving. Millions of Americans have spoke out against this plan, but the Federal Communications Commission, under the sway of corporations like Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, and Verizon, are moving forward nonetheless. Republicans have been pushing to end Net Neutrality for years with SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act), and PIPA (Protect IP Act) because the only thing they care about is control and money.

The corporations that want to take complete control of the web and dismantle Net Neutrality are the same people that finance the campaigns of climate deniers and sell advertisements to fossil-fuel polluters. Now it's up to Congress to vote on the fate of the Internet later this week, but unlike the Obama Administration which had a Democratic Majority in both the House and the Senate now has a Republican Majority under the Trump Administration who are expected to vote in favor against Net Neutrality since they have more seats in Congress than Democrats. The more seats you have in your party the more votes to pass legislation.

The real reason why Republicans are doing this now is because they know Democrats are going to win back Congress in the 2018 Midterm Elections before Trump gets impeached and removed from office. They know Democrats are against dismantling the Internet, so they're doing everything they can to give big cash handouts to Cable Companies who are wanting to go back to the way things were before we had Internet. The Internet has been killing store retailers in favor of more online deliveries through e-commerce, automation, and recent advancements in artificial intelligence instead of manufacturing jobs and physical labor.

I urge everyone here to spread the word and sign this online petition before it's too late:

https://savethenetfromtrump.com/?source=chv

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

If it's worth anything, I'd offer my support in full, but this is largely only an option for Americans. While there's a few places where foreigners can give their voice on the matter, the dominant number of ways to counteract it require an American area code or some form of ID.

Sorry dude :/  Here's hoping you can stop all this shit though.

Another few notes:

• The FCC claims that their open comment system was taken down due to a DDOS attack a few months ago; this was right after a wave of comments from people supporting NN were made after John Oliver brought it up on his show and encouraged people to voice their opinions to the FCC.  While many media outlets have filed FOIA requests to obtain proof that the comments system was taken offline due to a DDOS attack, the FCC has stonewalled these requests at every turn.  Some suspect that the FCC took the comments section offline due to an influx of comments supporting NN and they are scapegoating it by stating it was a DDOS attack without providing any proof. 
  • Many of the comments on the FCC comment system that were against NN have been shown to be cookie-cutter statements made using people's identities without their consent; to put it another way, identity theft was used in order to support the repeal of NN.  While the NY AG has been investigating the identity theft to support the repeal of NN and has been seeking the FCC's help in the matter, the FCC has stonewalled the investigation at every point.

The inconvenient truth is that public opinion is going to have little weight in the current climate.  Moreso than ever our government is steeped in support for business and profit moreso than common voters.  This is not a call to give up or not take action, just a call for everyone to accept this truth going forward.  Petitions like the ones attached won't have any effect.  Petitions have become one of the least effective methods of change.  Unless you have a directive from the group that you are trying to change (i.e. they say "get me X signatures and we'll talk") nothing will come from your petition.  Especially if you are targeting someone specifically in your petition name ("Save the Internet from Trump"?  really?  How does this do anything but give him an excuse to go on the defensive?  If you act combative against someone like Trump, he will shut down and refuse to work with you.  That's just a fact.)

Call your representatives, go to Town Halls (if your reps bother to have them), DO SOMETHING.  Don't just type your name into an internet data box and figure "my job's done".  that's lazy activism and it gets nothing done.  Go out in 2018 and vote OUT the people that are selling us away to the corporations.  Things are going to get worse as long as we don't work to make sure they get better.  Alabama was a spark, it needs to turn into a fire.

The FCC only appealed Net Neutrality by a 3-2 vote so it hasn't been taken into effect yet unless it's also approved by Congress. With a Republican majority in both the House and Senate I'd say it's very unlikely they'll turn it down since there won't be enough Democratic votes to turn down the FCC's appeal on Net Neutrality.

Even If we somehow manage to win Republicans are still going to keep trying to repeal Net Neutrality until they get their way. Strydder's right though, you can't make change by just signing a petition and expect something to happen. Last time I voted in a U.S. Election I voted against both Hillary and Trump. Now I plan to vote against Republicans in the upcoming 2018 Midterm Elections.

With the Doug Jones win in Alabama there is now a 51-49 split in the senate.  Meaning now only 2 republicans dissenting will prevent Senate approval.  The stupidest part of this is that the FCC chair claims that this is a victory for the bipartisan way of business, yet the 5 person committee vote was 3 republicans for, 2 democrats against.