Sign in to follow this  
Vile

When to call it quits.

I have reached a new inpass with this game today.  I have seriously begun to wonder why I still want to play.  

Neither of them will 'finish' their decks and one is saying he's not spending more money on the game, and won't play an incomplete deck, in his case Vegeto and Gold Freezer, but doesn't want to buy promos(which I get, they are pricy). The other hasn't bought anything other than a starter and I think 4 packs but knows he wants to play Beerus.. yet won't get anything for it..  Neither have played more than 1 game with me, each played a starter goku deck in September.  Its now december.

I have been able to play in 2, I say 2 tournements sense I started playing. 1 was 2 rounds, the other was 3. Neither had promos, and both were small turnouts. Atop the venue ticking me off with how they tried to swindle me and being overall gross due to not cleaning, I drive 2 hours just to make it to this place. It is the only place near me. I have walked away without games 5 times now becuase no one wants to play if there's no promos. 

My local hobby shop would run events if people in the area were interested. I've tried with the pokemon group and while they want to play, as I assumed no one ever wants to sit down and **learn** the game. I have a box of set 3 on preorder from there, which I guess is cool, and I was looking to buy a draftbox and use that to teach new interested players, let them crack packs and I'll just keep the cards. 

At the end of the day, I wonder when I need to call it quits. I have played gsmes on Tabletop Simulator on steam but honestly the game(any card game) looses some charm with me not holding the cardstock and being able to shuffle, ect. 

I just want to have fun. 

Dang.  This kind of hit me in the feels a bit.  "I just want to have fun."  Boy, can I relate.

It is discouraging that so many people pick up a game and then just...don't do anything with it?  What's the point?  I have a few friends back in California that I played Pan Z with all the time (when I went to buy my first box of set 3 literally a week or two after I discovered Pan Z existed, we ran into each other by pure chance...we had not seen each other since the days of Score Z), but since Pan Z was discontinued, they stopped making new decks.  When I visit CA, if I play with them, it's the same old, same old on their end.  They still enjoy playing but lost the passion to create.

Some people just can't get into it and like you, I get frustrated.  It's all or nothing for me.  Either I'm not even going to bother at all (why waste my time?) or I'm going ALL IN to ROCK THE HOUSE.  I'll be driving 11+ hours round trip on Saturday to go to the Dennis Games and I DUN CARE.  I want to fight some strong players and have INTENSE struggles of mind and will!

You sound like you're in a pretty rough spot.  The main reason I'm not on OCTGN is because like you, I think it just isn't the same without the PHYSICAL cards and interactions with the player.  The reactions, the plays, the TENSION, that's part of the experience!  And other than the occasional salt, win or lose, you usually make a new friend after having an epic battle. 

I went a little off track.  I'd be super upset if I drove 2 hours for nothing.  You have more patience than I do for sure. 

Honestly I want to play casually but I can't land any games.  Like, my first deck was Ginyu. I know the meta is running Ginyu with an assload of extra cards. Vile doesn't like that. Vile runs his witha full pack of Ginyu members, 4 dash promos, and 2 SR ginyu. If i get the promo, cool, if not oh well. 

The biggest bummer is my favorite character is a leader, and i haven't been able to play a single game with him. 

Yeah, that is a bummer.  The only suggestion I have for you is to get out while it is still popular elsewhere.  Sell what you can and reinvest into games people at your locals play, or just don't get back in at all.  I know tabletop sim/OCT can be annoying, but get a friendly with a mic and your experience should improve. 

It's just how things go sometimes. No one wanted to pick up Super in my area so I had to give it up. Meta X from what I can tell is having some difficulty sticking and I don't believe AoT will necessarily save it and it's the game I was cheering for because despite the DBZ shenanigans Panini did tournaments well, promos and cash pay outs. Of course, I'm not too upset. I don't support games that have exclusive promo cards. Score bit me on that and I won't be bit again so there's that gold lining. 

Fortunately, soon after Panini announced the death of DBZ 2.0 I picked up Heroclix on a whim. It had a decent following in my area. Haven't regretted it since and I've probably spent over a grand on the game in the soon to be a year that PanZ has been dead. The game is a bit complicated to get into but once you play a few games (go into it expecting to lose at first) it becomes easy and fun. I've even broken down teaching the game into 2, 20 minute segments that makes it super simple to learn without every reading the rule book. Essentially, you may just need to pick a game that is already established. If you don't want to heavily invest buy a few cool board games. Lots of LGS will do board game nights and some of them can lead to a lot more fun.

Now, let's talk about PanZ/FanZ. I was young and dumb when Score died. I sold everything I had. Inu Yasha, Bleach,  and most of my DBZ/GT cards. I never bought ReZ because even as a kid I wasn't dumb enough to not see the end coming. However, I have always regretted it because I've always thought to myself about playing a few games for fun and nostalgia and had I stayed with it I would have found out about the active community. Again I was young. I kept all of my PanZ cards, bought a friends collection, stole my brothers collection, and have been slowly filling in the blanks for a play set collection whenever I have spare cash. I will always be ready to throw down in PanZ and now that my Awesome Sauce Proxies for set 8 and 9 are in, always ready to throw down in FanZ. 

My next step is to put together 4 play sets of S, C, U, and R cards to have a deck building game for PanZ. Hand the collections to 3 friends, 30 minutes to build, 3 Swiss rounds, and modify house rules for balance as you go. Eat your heart out Panini/Bandai, you can't stop me!

@Majin Goo

:( I also sold all my score cards back in the day.  When I was in college, that kind of money seemed significant.  I unloaded my collection before the game actually died because I saw it coming and actually disliked GT to the point where I did not want to play anymore. 

How I wish I'd have kept them, just to build decks for fun.  In hindsight, the money was pocket change.  There's virtually no hope of me ever getting into the Fusion Format because the cards are just too expensive/difficult to find for me to care now.

4 hours ago, Artificial Human said:

Pretty sure Proxies are legal in Fusion.

For some people proxies are not enough. It's why I'm still buying PanZ and why I've waited for my Awesome Sauce cards before touching FanZ. 

^ This.  The ONLY reason I got poor quality set 8 proxies over the summer was because I was going to East Kai and Bicycle Kick was NEEDED.

I can't feel TOO bad, though.  Score had many, MANY more garbage, unplayable cards compared to Pan Z.  I would only need a small subset of the Score card pool for competitive purposes.