Sign in to follow this  
Thearbiter20x6

Dennis Games Top 8 Funtime w/decklist

Hi, everyone.  I just got back from The Dennis Games Fan Z tournament at The Comic Book Store in Glassboro, NJ.  I am exhausted and need sleep, but screw that.  I'ma write a summary first.  I write a LOT, feel free to skip to the matches or whatever you want to see (decklist will be posted as a reply after I sleeps).

First of all, I want to start out by saying that although I did pretty well given the fierce competition and very creative new set 10 decks, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in myself.  I woke up at 5am yesterday to get ready and be there on time.  Due to some minor navigation mishap near the end of my trip, I had no time to get food.  I was tired and hungry all day and made many misplays and bad calls (you shall see...).  I won't be doing that again.  I am not great at socializing when I am well-rested; when I am tired I get very anti-social and the tournament was less enjoyable as a result.  I just had no energy.

As I mentioned in other threads, I decided to take a risk and run Red Ruthless Drawku.  I was scared to death of Mischievous 17.  Well, from what I heard, people are worried about his MPPV weakness.  Apparently, it is a big deal.  NOT A SINGLE PERSON ran the deck.  SWEET. 

So what is the secret weapon I was hyping up?  Why did I say I could not use digs?  Two words, baby.

SURPRISE ATTACK

NOBODY EXPECTS

I was running a deck with 3 surprise attack and NO OTHER NON STYLED CARDS (my 2 overwhelming power don't count).  No time. No confrontation.  No VTP.  No dev blow.  No dig.  DO I LOOK LIKE I HAVE TIME FOR THAT STUFF?!

When I pulled the card from one of My vengeance boxes, I immediately said, "One day I'ma make a deck with all styled cards and troll my opponents with this."  Well, after thinking about it, RR Drawku physical beats was PERFECT.  Goku's named cards suck for physical beats with only 3 setups in the deck (gotta have relaxations), so I didn't need to run named cards.  Or anything else!  Styled cards ONLY.

This idea has some INCREDIBLE STRENGTHS, but also some CRITICAL weaknesses:

Pros:

+2 stages to nearly every attack in the deck and +1 life card RIGHT from the get go to bring the hurt hard and fast!

Surprise Attack can single-handedly SHUT DOWN some decks, i.e. unleashed or time-jugglers. Even if it doesn't, those two free banishes without reciprocity quickly adds up to serious damage.  They typically don't stop it due to minimal damage and they usually lose some good cards from the HIT affect.

2x Red Stylish Entrance and 3x Red Relaxation can go critical for HUGE HANDS.  If time is banished, good luck not dying.

Lots of on hit anger control and critical damage effects galore! 

Can burst anger HARD and even MPPV out as a backup plan without all those nasty, gross non-anger raising scrub cards like dig.

Cons:

Absolutely NO anger control outside of mastery HIT effect or critical damage effects.  This is a HUGE issue.  Normally, I can just aggro so hard to win before they do, but this is a serious problem.

No tutoring for surprise attack or...well, anything.  What you draw is what you have at your disposal.

If they draw time before I can banish it, I am vulnerable to time juggling since I lack non-styled discard pile hate and red has very limited (and crappy) options in that department.  If they have time in their hand, I can't do a single thing about it.  No confrontations or spheres.

I made the prototype for this deck to take to the dragon prix last year, the second to last official Pan Z event.  Instead I ran Blue Resolute Goku out of pure fear, choosing the meta instead of my homemade deck.  I went 3-4 because my deck refused to give me Kaio-kens and Unleahsed when I needed them or my opponent magically drew the 1 counter card in their deck on turn one when I was about to combo it up.  I had regretted this to the point that sometimes is honestly really bothers me considering how good a choice the RR  Goku deck would have been at Dragon Prix.  There's no reason why something with zero actual life value outside of enjoyment should bother me, but this is an issue I have in general.  Anyway...it was time for Goku to have his fair chance!  But with me being so tired and hungry...would I be able to do it?

I hope I'm not mixing up the names.  I'm like, super tired and stuff.

Round 1: Vs David Meckler's Red Ascension Trunks

No way!  I get to fight THE LORD OF AWESOME SAUCE HIMSELF, David Meckler?!  Sweet!  This is going to be gre...oh damn it he's running Red Ascension Trunks. 

I can handle a good amount of MPPV decks.

But MPPV decks as defensive as David's? Not a chance.  If I can't hit, I can't lower anger.  He controlled the flow of combat and won in like 3 turns.  It sucked.  *SPOILERS* He won 2nd place.

GG 0-1

But I did not let that take out my morale.  I've been in tight spots before.  Five rounds of swiss.  I still got this.

Round 2: Vs Brian's Namekian Knowledge Cell (awakening stack)

Want to know how tired I was?  He played a dragon ball on turn 1 and noted I need to mill 1.  It took me a good 3 seconds to realize why.  Then I tried to crit his only dragon ball on the table.

Fortunately, I got his time with surprise attack and just went crazy aggro.  His mill could not keep up with the damage.  I also removed his draining attacks.  Surprise Attack says nope.  Then it says nope again. 

GG 1-1

He got paired down?!  Sweet.  Can you say COMEBACK?!

Round 3: Vs Didier Greenleaf Blue Tag Videl

Dude.  Now I get to fight Didier Greenleaf?!  THIS IS AWESOME

Blue Tag Videl?  Bwuh?  I wasn't sure what to expect.  He pulls out chichi turn one, but the heart of the cards was with me.  An early red energy blast (the only energy I run) recycled via red ruthless and drawku powers helped me keep the allies under control for the early game and dish out some hurt.  I kept him off level 2 for a while.  Then I saw his insidious plan.  Videl level 2 + Blue training + those drills that mill when allies leave play. 

Fortunately, I added lots of board control in preparation for the fight against Mischievous 17.  That did not go to waste here.  It saved me BIG TIME.  He was finally able to mill me a bit at the end but I had too big of a deck left and I did too much damage earlier.  If I had thrown an energy attack at him during that last combat, he would have been able to mill me 12+ with a SINGLE ENERGY BLOCK. That's how comborific his deck was.  Super clever and very dangerous.

For the record, I entered once after dropping a relaxation, but he had yajirobe in play.  Told ya.  I was being an idiot.  But I had 4 anger when I entered at level 1, so it worked out and turned out to be a great combat for me.  I mean, better to get 2 secure before he enters on me with a blue head knock I suppose.  But still, these are the kind of mistakes I was making.  Inexcusable. 

GG 2-1

Round 4: Vs Ryan's Black Mischievous Supreme Kai

Supreme Kai, eh?  Sounds like a job for AGGRO.  Things were going fine.  I just had to apply pressure and keep the damage up, blocking the occasional defensive burst.  He dropped an early Android Efficiency Drill, which freaked me out.  Bumps his power up to 5 life cards.  He also dropped Black Absorption Drill.  I used Red Energy Blast and like a fool banished the Android Efficiency Drill

I would lose the game because of this.

Early on I used a Red Forceful Strike to get one of his Black Power Ups with the HIT effect.  Guess what got banished?  A surprise attack.  I figured I would draw one of my other two EVENTUALLY to banish time, but they never came....at least not until after he drew time.  But here's the problem.

He uses time

I can't do jack (see above)

He uses Mischievous

Absorption Drill puts it on top

Rinse and repeat

At this point, I would not land a single attack for the rest of the game.  He only had a small deck left but with his when entering power, he wasn't going down without me landing attacks.  So I only had one choice: MPPV.  I nearly made it, but he was smart and didn't take any risks.  I wound up losing the game at level 4 on 4 anger.

GG 2-2

Never making THAT mistake ever again.

Welp, at this point, I NEED to win my last match to even stand a chance, and even then I was completely at the mercy of tie-breakers. Might as well go for it.

Vs. Azarith's Blue Resolute Supreme Kai

Okay.  I can handle this one.  No dumb drill and no dumb defensive burst.  AGGRO IT UP.  Surprise Attack made amends for the last game.  Got time early on and...wait, are these UNLEASHED?!  Oh, how naughty.  We can't have that.  Banished the other two the next combat. I think I surprised attacked him at least 4 times.  Got blinding energy moves, visiting the pasts, all kinds of great stuff!  There wasn't much he could do once I removed his engine.

GG 3-2

My tiebreakers were great after seeing who won and lost.  But did I make it?!  FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON...oh.  It's in the title.  Yes.  Yes I did.  Barely.  The 8th seed.

...which meant I had to face the only undefeated contender of the day.  That doesn't happen by luck.  I was about to face somebody powerful and skilled.

Top 8

Vs. Ryan's (not the same one) Black Mischievous Cell (awakening stack)

Ah!  Another Cell Namekian.  I got thi...Mischievous?  Hmmm... *poofy cloud border*

**Mischievous Mill + Cell Jr. = X(**

Sure enough, that was it.  But he also had Tora ally.  YIKES.  This is serious.  I kept a red blocking hand early but learned quickly after a surprise attack that this was a mistake; he wasn't running defensive burst!  All mill, no fill.

I was dishing out the damage pretty well, and was slightly outpacing his mill, but then Namekian Ball 7 happened.  Time was gone and all so he could not haxstack, but he stacked a physical block, cell's draining attack (could not banish it in time...so many bad non-styled cards to get!), and the one BEM that hit the discard before I could surprise attack it.  Here I made another dumb move but I think I was screwed regardless.  He had two allies in play and he just hopped to level 3.  My brain was just not even processing the board state at this time.  I used goku's lv 2 power to draw the bottom discard and discard a card for the crit to take ball 7.  I had freaking red shoulder grab in my hand...why would I do that?!  I let him mill me FIVE for no reason with his level 3.  All I had to do was discard one of the alies.  But I was in a tight spot.  I don't think I had the ability to finish him off even if I had made that call.  It was a close match, but I met my end here.

GG X_X

I got my top 8 playmat though along with my set 9 non-foil high quality proxies from David, as well as my Fan Z hi-tech set 8 MP foils, along with 3x unleashed and 3x assisted kamehameha foil Fan Z promos from 2nd placing at East Kai, so I'd say it wasn't too bad of a run!  Even if I had defeated Ryan, That Ascension Trunks would have made quick work of me (who knows...maybe even the Namekian Radiant Slug that won 1st).

But you know what's weird?  The RR Goku deck...wasn't all that fun to play.  Trolling people with Surprise Attack is fun, but I pretty much have to work with what I draw.  No tutoring or shenanigans.  There are situations where you just feel unable to do anything.  I probably won't give it another go.  With set 10, people are getting WAY more clever and not relying on specific cards anymore.

This makes me feel considerably better about my past mistake.  In dragon prix, the orange retribution roshi decks would have likely done me in quickly, meaning maybe my mistake was not so bad and I will not regret it so much anymore.

I am now convinced more than ever (especially considering how much it would have STOMPED at the Dennis Games) that Orange Adept Gohan is my destined flagship deck.  Once I get set 10 it is going to be ridiculous.  I have it all planned out.  Soon, we will wreak havoc on this pathetic world.  Also gonna mess with set 10 MPs.  :P

Decklist time!  Also I realized as I thought about my top 8 match that I didn't really misplay like I thought I did.  The only thing I did wrong was not discard the ally, but I had forgotten that the second Cell's Draining Attack hit the discard before Surprise Attack could get it, and THAT'S why he still had one left.  He stacked it with ball 7, after all.  I thought I made a poor surprise attack choice but that was not the case.  Even if I saved myself the 5 mill, it was mathematically impossible for me to do enough damage that turn to get him down to drawing himself out when his turn started.  He could have entered on me, used his level 3 power, and ended the game since I was at zero. 

Anyway, here's the deck:

Red Ruthless Goku SURPRISE ATTACK build

Red Ruthless Mastery

Goku 1-4 (all awakening stack)

Physical Combat

Surprise Attack x 3

Red Power Lift x 2

Red Double Strike x 3

Red Aerial Assault x 3

Red Mule Kick x 3

Red Tandem Attack x 3 (can catch Black Mischievous off guard)

Red Shoulder Grab x 3

Red Collision x 3

Red Sword Stab x 3

Red Heel Kick x 3

Red Powerful Strike x 3

Red Blocking Hand x 3

Red Reverse x 3 (these can be switched; I just like the stage loss effect)

Red Forceful Strike x 3

Red Furious Lunge x 3

Energy Combat

Red Energy Blast x 2 (these were amazingly useful despite me being physical aggro)

Red Energy Defensive Stance x 2 (set 10 Red Flee obviously superior but do not yet have)

Red Brace x 3 (these are so awesome for blocking an energy and still being able to use ruthless to play the attack you just used)

Events

Red Stylish Entrance x 2

Overwhelming Power x 2 (immune to my own Surprise Attacks and great board clear)

Setups, Drills, and Dragon Balls

Red Relaxation x 3

Earth Dragon Ball 2 (specifically for the 17 matchup)

Earth Dragon Ball 5 (not as useful as I thought it would be; probably not going to use it again)

It is somewhat liberating not using non-styled cards.  Look at all the crazy cards I was able to use, such as Red Powerful Strike!  For my aggro decks I make sure to pack a healthy amount of endurance (sword stab and collision) because I plan to take some hits, especially from energy attacks as this deck is a little light on energy defense. With the right draws this deck can level up very quickly and potentially win by MPPV if you opponent somehow survives the Goku lv 3 barrage.

Like I mentioned above, in practice it is somewhat of a one-trick pony.  No tutoring, no rejuv, no board presence.  What you draw is what you work with.  The goal is to banish time and simply overwhelm the opponent with sheer hand advantage (stylish entrance + relaxation).  One serious weakness this deck has is the lack of ability to keep your opponent in combat.  I never really got off a "super combat" all day because people were packing ALL KINDS of combat ending tech at the Dennis Games.  When I get my huge hand they just blinding energy move.  Ideally, many of these combat enders would be taken out by surprise attack and you just have to keep up the pressure even if they end combat on you. I also fought two Supreme Kai decks and he packs three extra combat ending cards...one was black so add three Black Power Up on top of that (but at least goku has some board clear for the power ups).

Anyway, this is a good deck to test against to see if you can handle physical aggro from a non-Broly deck!

After some experience with it I would definitely add in a third Red Energy Blast.  I have plenty of three-ofs that can be knocked down to 2 for the energy blast. The only reason I use three of certain physicals is because I ran out of red anger-raising physicals with cool effects. >.>

While it's probably not nearly as potent a deck as this Drawku build you've got going, I need to wonder how good Bardock would go with this exact same idea/mastery and his innate deck destruction/control. Give him a try out with the same concept, and see if the extra in-built disruption helps. Also, with your innate anger gain, you should be able to rocket off of 1 and have a good chance of getting to 3 (at which point, you're probably doing pretty good). The downside is the loss of hand advantage, but you do net the ability to 100% snipe Time from the opponent's deck every opening combat. Really hurts them in trying to stop your aggro.

I have a few ideas for the deck recipe, but I feel like you might have a pretty good grasp of what needs to be added and changed around after actually playing it. Still, as a first outing, it seems to have done quite well.

51 minutes ago, Denithan said:

While it's probably not nearly as potent a deck as this Drawku build you've got going, I need to wonder how good Bardock would go with this exact same idea/mastery and his innate deck destruction/control. Give him a try out with the same concept, and see if the extra in-built disruption helps. Also, with your innate anger gain, you should be able to rocket off of 1 and have a good chance of getting to 3 (at which point, you're probably doing pretty good). The downside is the loss of hand advantage, but you do net the ability to 100% snipe Time from the opponent's deck every opening combat. Really hurts them in trying to stop your aggro.

I have a few ideas for the deck recipe, but I feel like you might have a pretty good grasp of what needs to be added and changed around after actually playing it. Still, as a first outing, it seems to have done quite well.

I have always wanted to make a deck PURELY focused on sniping cards.  Black Scout, Black Enraged Assault (a card I adore but never get to use), Black Searching Technique, etc.  Bardock might be perfect and I just realized I have him and his named cards now.  Think I might give it a try.

I am working on getting OCTGN up and running.  The Dennis Games was the last bit of persuasion I needed.  No more being lazy!  I have WAY too many deck ideas to ignore OCTGN!  We'll have to THROW DOWN.

And while this Drawku build is decent, some of the above mentioned crippling weaknesses keep it from being winner material imo.  That first match showed me all too well that there are certain decks that it just cannot defeat. 

My Adept Gohan deck is way better. <3 How I love it so.  Although, Black is making a meta presence again.  Gohan could have trouble with Black decks that can rejuv/reuse their defensive bursts. 

I never thought I'd see someone play red stylish entrance. Care to comment on that?

I like the deck a lot, and you're playing a lot of my favorite often overlooked attacks. One thing I do feel is missing though is red static shot. The anger gain and non prevention are just too good to pass up. Plus in ruthless you can surprise your opponent by throwing 2 of these in a row. This is especially good when you need a crit and does lots of damage when paired with goku.

I probably wouldn't have played red shoulder grab either, but I'm curious if you have reasoning for not playing it (even as a tool box 1 of).

Glad you did so well. Congrats! 

28 minutes ago, v3rse said:

I never thought I'd see someone play red stylish entrance. Care to comment on that?

I like the deck a lot, and you're playing a lot of my favorite often overlooked attacks. One thing I do feel is missing though is red static shot. The anger gain and non prevention are just too good to pass up. Plus in ruthless you can surprise your opponent by throwing 2 of these in a row. This is especially good when you need a crit and does lots of damage when paired with goku.

I probably wouldn't have played red shoulder grab either, but I'm curious if you have reasoning for not playing it (even as a tool box 1 of).

Glad you did so well. Congrats! 

I'm fortunate I even topped.  I was being an idiot lol.  Too bad I fought that Cell mill deck first.  I might have been able to go further, but David's Red Ascension Trunks would have stopped me anyway.

Red Stylish Entrance.  It's WAY underrated.  Sure, it sucks if you draw it, but I rarely have more than one card I don't want in my hand and I can use that for the Ruthless Power.  The times it does work result in a CRUSHING blow to your opponent. It also gives red some much needed endurance.  Imagine that with Red Relaxation at the same time.  It's overwhelming.  If time is gone and they can't end combat, I have so many cards in my hand that not only will I beat the crap out of them, but I will likely level up with all the anger, resulting in a BIGGER Grecco-Roman-crud-out-of-beating. People were ending combat on me all day though and I only got to level 3 during the game I got time locked.

I agree that Red Static Shot is amazing and at one point in time the deck included 2+.  The anger being hit is what throws me off and I am trying to focus on stage locking/stage damage.  I feel like with static shots, I would not have enough stage pressure in my hand and if it gets blocked, meh.  It also lacks endurance which is understandable for how good it is.  I also fear being stage-locked myself without any board presence and a relatively low number of blocks, so I tried to minimize energy attacks.

For me, Red Shoulder Grab is ESSENTIAL (not sure if I made a typo in my novel but I definitely was running three of these bad boys).  It really puts pressure on dragon ball and ally decks.  I fought a lot of decks that kept trying to drop allies on the board (Supreme Kai and Tag Videl) and shoulder grab was always ruining their day.  Nothing clears the ally train like Shoulder Grab and Double Strike. The extra anger control option is good as well since the deck has only crits and the mastery hit to lower anger, something that David knew and took advantage of during the first game.

I did not try choke hold. With some minor exceptions, I wanted every attack in the deck to raise my anger for maximum turbo drawku abuse (red power lift seems to be of little value but I am always so scared of defensive bursts and this is a good lead attack against black). 

Orange Ret Garlic Jr. and Black Perceptive Tien are next on the test list!  I'd like to try one of those next.