sh0ryu_repp4

Expansion Set Reveal!

Heroes Expansion: http://www.dbs-cardgame.com/product/dbs-es01.php

Villains Expansion: http://www.dbs-cardgame.com/product/dbs-es02.php

So each Expansion set comes with 7 unique cards exclusive to the set and 7 foil reprints along with a deck box.

The BIGGEST news however is the addition of the Black color, this game's version of colorless. Which is the one thing I didn't want to see in this game and makes me worry about future balancing. (Just the one Masked Saiyan card already makes the super OP Draft Frieza deck even better...) Also added is the "OverRealm" mechanic with the new "Warp Zone" area. You can play Overrealm cards by removing cards from your drop area to the new warp area to reduce their cost.

Also, just to be clear, when they say Overrealm is the new "block" for the game, they do not mean that in the MTG sense. They simply mean the sets will be similarly themed, like YGO.

What say you Top Tier? Excited? Nervous? Little of both? Sound off below!

So is the 'Warp Zone' this games version of Banished/exiled/removed from game mechanic? If so that's fine by me. Some decks will like it, others ~~meta cooler~~ will hate it. 

1 hour ago, Vile said:

So is the 'Warp Zone' this games version of Banished/exiled/removed from game mechanic? If so that's fine by me. Some decks will like it, others ~~meta cooler~~ will hate it. 

Doesn't Meta Cooler hate everything? lol

I don't think it is the "removed from game" area, because technically it already has one of those but it doesn't count as an area. (see Father/Son Kamehameha Goku and Gohan leader, awakened side plus tyrant Cooler, Salza and Dore and Rule Manual section 10-17).  RFG cannot be interacted with in this game, as it isn't an Area, but based on the wording for Warp, it will be considered an "area".  This could foreshadow skills that refer to the Warp area or allow you to interact with it in some way.  That is unless they decide to retcon the whole thing and errata Goku/Gohan and the rest that already refer to RFG.

Honestly, I'm intrigued by the concept.  Dumping your WHOLE drop area to play one OR card is a little extreme, so they would have to have really good skills to offset the fact that you could only play 1-2 of them per game.

On one side, I'm really excited to see some Xenoverse/Heroes/Online content. I'm always down for the extended DB universe to show up in games, since I really like the what-if characters they entail. On the other hand, I do think it's a bit soon for them to already be trying to expand game mechanics as opposed to working up more of a base for the current game. We're 2 packs in, and it comes across as them already being unsatisfied with the mechanics they put in place at launch. Hopefully this isn't going to become a thing of the card game rapidly introducing new mechanics every other set, but if this is as far as they're going for awhile, then it shouldn't have any adverse effects to the game to introduce the mechanics. And there is an argument that if they have dedicated to the mechanics, and have a clear vision for it, it's better to introduce it early on so that you don't have to upset the game too much later.

Let's just hope that neither the Black Cards or the Overrealm cards get too extreme. At present, it's way too easy for them to accidentally break the game, but it's also not exactly... Difficult, for them to keep the peace.
tl;dr: shrugs Excited for the characters, confused by how early it's introduced and wary for what they'll do.

Based on their talk about "blocks" and how they describe them, it is likely that come set 5 OverRealm will be out and a new mechanic will take its place.  So rather than just building on top of everything every block it will be more like Magic rotating out mechanics every few sets to keep it interesting, though granted on a shorter timetable.

It does worry me a bit to see a non-styled card that can be summoned for 1 energy and has board removal; it just seems too good and can be run in any deck.  I'm just not a fan of making non-styled cards that have so much to offer.

I'm interested to see if black will really be non-styled; Bandai mentions that the new black cards "of this product" have no specified costs, leaving it open that the whole style might not be like this?  In order for people to consider running the 2-cost black cards they're going to need some good effects for the cost.  I'm hoping more drop zone interaction is added to the game to make "warping" the cards in your drop area have more impact on the game.

I think the trade off being you have to have 5 cards in your drop area is how they mitigated it.  It's not THAT easy to discard cards and discarding them quickly can hurt you easily by limiting your hand.  I think he'll be good, but not as good as people say.  Gotenks seems more busted than him.  Mighty mask to go search goten and trunks to play gotenks, draw 2 AND pop any battle card for 4 energy?  TOO busted.

1 hour ago, Stryyder said:

I think the trade off being you have to have 5 cards in your drop area is how they mitigated it.  It's not THAT easy to discard cards and discarding them quickly can hurt you easily by limiting your hand.  I think he'll be good, but not as good as people say.  Gotenks seems more busted than him.  Mighty mask to go search goten and trunks to play gotenks, draw 2 AND pop any battle card for 4 energy?  TOO busted.

In Draft Frieza it isnt that hard to get 5 in the discard.

You are 100% right about Gotenks though. I am a little concerned we are seeing effects this crazy already and we are only on Set 3...

Yeah, but with Bloodlust and Crusher I don't really see the need for Masked Saiyan in Mecha Frieza.  Plus with all those free cards and some running blue ramp packages dropping him to cost 1 isn't really necessary.

I just dont see how a colorless, 1-cost card with 20k, double strike, and board removal is a good idea when it comes to balancing the game.  I also now fear that the introduction of black style essentially being non-styled opens the possibility that the next SCR is going to be a staple in all decks.

16 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I just dont see how a colorless, 1-cost card with 20k, double strike, and board removal is a good idea when it comes to balancing the game.  I also now fear that the introduction of black style essentially being non-styled opens the possibility that the next SCR is going to be a staple in all decks.

Oh God.... I will quit the game if that happens... lol

MSRP was supposed to be $17 for these deck box expansions.  Luckily I preordered and was able to secure this price.  However, just a few days after launch and the heroes set is online for about $25 and the villains set for about $35+.  I have heard that some shops have not received their product yet and I have also heard a rumor that these expansion sets are limited to their initial print run.

16 minutes ago, The Bear said:

MSRP was supposed to be $17 for these deck box expansions.  Luckily I preordered and was able to secure this price.  However, just a few days after launch and the heroes set is online for about $25 and the villains set for about $35+.  I have heard that some shops have not received their product yet and I have also heard a rumor that these expansion sets are limited to their initial print run.

yeah I haven't bought any yet and have no real desire to atm

There's definitely some problems with this release:

1) reports of single printing.  Distros are saying that there is no current word about a second printing, but that could change at any time Bandai decides.

2) Some shops are buying up all the stock.  PPG got a lot of shade for this.  They got 1000 packs.  Problems here include the fact that a LOT of shops in the south weren't able to get any because of it; they likely set enough aside for all of their "sponsored" players to have foil playsets; and the fact that they cracked a bunch of them to sell as singles online (which has driven the price of Xeno Trunks alone to almost $20).

3) Online pricing is misleading.  I've heard a lot of shops dropping these for $25 for WALK IN customers based on sites like TCGplayer.  The problem here is that if you look at all the listings on TCGplayer (for hero set anyway, villain set is going nuts due to Trunks) all of them say "shipping included".  So considering the shaped an weight of the packs, you take out $6-8 due to shipping and you are back down to MSRP.  Not to mention TCG player aggregates secondary market prices and using them to price things for PRIMARY market (where nothing has changed as far as the seller's cost) is super shady.

One of my locals is finally going to get some of them in tomorrow, I'll see what they do (I'm guessing they will try and charge $20, they started at $100 for DBS boxes, before people pointed out they were 24 pack boxes).

How's everyone enjoying the Overrealm mechanic?  I've only played one game since getting my deck boxes yesterday but was able to cast cards with Overrealm 4 times in that game.  Seems like the mechanic is going to really help aggro builds alot.

Haven't used or seen it used yet.  Just picked up my sets.  Local store had them up at $20 a piece, so I grabbed a couple villain sets to make up the difference.