Sign in to follow this  
soviet prince

super smash bros 4

Not really pumped, but I will pick it up for the sake of picking it up. Only after playing in a poker tournament and making profit fot that night.

I'm with Pickens. Not getting my hopes up for it to be better than SSBB, which was hot garbage. I fully anticipate playing Project M until Wii U is hacked and Smash 4 gets its own Project M. If it is somehow an awesome, fast paced game, I will be pleasantly surprised and play the hell out of it. 

Here is the finals of a Brawl tournament. This is the fastest and most exciting form of Brawl. Skip to 1:10 for the start of grand finals.  

Here is the finals of a Melee tournament. 

One of these games is a lot more fun to play and watch than the other. The new smash is looking at lot more like the former than the latter. Also, for reference, the largest Melee tournament of all time was this year and SSBB has a dwindling tournament scene mostly made up of players who are to young to have played Melee growing up. 

Melee is just a much better fighting game.

Ah the Melee-snobs.  Those who think Melee was the be all and end all and expect every smash bros game to be EXACTLY like Melee was.

I never got into the heavy "Take out EVERYTHING that made Smash Bros an interesting game and just play on Final Destination because balance" crowd.  I have fun with items and smash balls and stage hazards.  it's part of the game.

I'm not too pumped for the new one.  I'll definitely get it and enjoy it.  I'm just not entirely interested in the new characters.  Not a huge Megaman fan.  Wii Fit trainer and random AC villager is showing that Ninty is running out of ideas.  I do like the new FE characters though.

Ah the Melee-snobs.  Those who think Melee was the be all and end all and expect every smash bros game to be EXACTLY like Melee was.

I never got into the heavy "Take out EVERYTHING that made Smash Bros an interesting game and just play on Final Destination because balance" crowd.  I have fun with items and smash balls and stage hazards.  it's part of the game.

I'm not too pumped for the new one.  I'll definitely get it and enjoy it.  I'm just not entirely interested in the new characters.  Not a huge Megaman fan.  Wii Fit trainer and random AC villager is showing that Ninty is running out of ideas.  I do like the new FE characters though.

See, the thing is Melee was a game where you could play with items on high, choose random characters, and play on Pokefloats all day long. It was just ALSO an excellent competitive fighting game. The people who shit on melee players act like making the engine run better in smash 4 would somehow make the game less fun. You know what I love about Brawl? The music, the characters, the graphics, the attention to detail, the plethora of levels. You know what I don't like? The engine. The most important part of the game and the easiest to fix. I was more excited for SSBB than anyone, but when it came out I dropped it in months because the engine was a huge step backwards. 

Melee wasn't a paragon of gaming excellence, but it was fun to play, rewarding, difficult, and fast. I don't want to play Melee forever and I don't "refuse to change." I want the new game to be as fun, fast, and difficult as Melee was. Because again, I want to emphasize, those things make the game infinitely better for competitive players without somehow making it worse for casual gamers.

Then I'd guess there's very little you'd care about when it comes to the actual engine. Like Phil said, it's very doable to appease people who play super casually and people who want the competitive stuff.  I mean, people still have fun playing stuff like Street Fighter both ways.

I wouldn't consider myself a Melee purist, but I don't like Brawl either.  It's slow - characters take forever to die, it handicaps itself in really weird ways for nonsensical reasons (Amped up Stale-Move Negation, tripping) to the point where games take forever and it just isn't fun to play for me. I really think the ideal for Smash is something along the lines of Melee with a much wider pool of usable characters.  Project M delivers here imo, at least where it's at right now.  It makes the game faster, mods in a few characters and gives characters tools they never had.  Really fun ones too!  Zelda's Din's Fire stays out and acts as a trap/spacing tool, Lucas is further differentiated from Ness and can now super charge his moves, Sonic is...actually pretty good?  It's crazy.  The sort of approach I wish they'd take with Mainline Smash games.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Smash 4 - it seems faster and better than Brawl, even if it's a little bit.  I've heard people say that the SDCC build *may* have been a bit faster than the E3 one, though I think that might have been debunked.  Anyway, they're at least courting the audience that wants that sort of thing a little bit, so uh, here's to hoping.

Project M will always be the best incarnation of Smash, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how S4 stacks up.

The whole Melee/Smash debate always blows my mind. It should have been an obvious case of easily appealing to both crowds, a casual player can have fun with any smash game, but a competitive player can't have fun with Brawl (unless that Brawl video posted is your thing...in which case...BARRRFFF)

Nobody cares how you choose to play the game, if you like tiny mushrooms on New Pork City, that's your deal. But Brawl was made to intentionally remove the competitive aspect, and for the people who enjoyed that, it was a massive letdown. To the casual player, It would have been akin to making a Smash Bros. without items and only 2 levels. It sucked.

Project M really is the best and everyone should be playing that.

How does project M destroy the fun?  Granted, the build is geared to be balanced and encourage competitive play but it moves at a better pace and makes playing formerly "bad" characters into more fun, viable characters to play.  It also reworks the physics, which in brawl were counter intuitive and made logical sense, improved DI and turned the speed up a little bit. Project M is not as fast as melee but it's also not a HORRIBLE crawl. I'm not a high-end competitive Smash player but I absolutely hate how Brawl plays, it takes forever to score a K.O., you trip, everything feels clunky. 

I'd rather play MK9 than Brawl. Smash 4 could be good, I'm waiting to see if they do a good job and make the game with a tiny bit of common sense or if Sakurai takes them down the Brawl path again, killing any potential for a competitive scene for the game. 

To make the game fun for casual players but maintaining a high ceiling for competitive play can't be that hard in a game like Smash. The people who want to heedlessly complain about the competitive players that make Melee no fun are as much a problem as the Melee players that hate Brawl.  EXCEPT, the casual players that hate the fanatics are louder and have more numbers, so the competitive players are getting the shaft. 

Long story short. If you get bodied by a good player and you want to get mad about it, don't be mad at the game or the other player, saying their a try-hard. If it matters enough to you to get mad about losing, then try to improve and be able to play at their level.