Jump to content
The Bear

Oversaturation

Recommended Posts

I can't be the only one who is starting to get bogged down after seeing the upcoming releases for this game.  We've got two deck box "expansion" sets being released this month and in March a new set that includes two starter decks, each containing cards exclusive to the deck.  Then we have themed boosters coming out.  To me, this just seems like a bit too much product to have. 

I really love collecting sets so that I can make whatever deck I want when I want, but with so much product coming out I'm really starting to question if it is going to be worth continue playing.  It wouldnt be so bad if the starter decks and deck box sets didn't come with exclusive cards, as getting playsets of the exclusives takes 2 purchases of each product.  So to get a playset of these exclusives it'll be about $120 (2 of each new starter, 2 of each new deck box set).  Sure, not everyone needs playsets, but even if you only want 1-2 copies of a card you'd still have to purchase these products.  The deck boxes themselves will be close to worthless as people will be buying that product FOR the promos.

People on this forum have criticized Bandai before about how they treat their customers like cash cows and I'm starting to become convinced.  It is unfortunate because this game has an ENORMOUS scene, but eventually players like me will be driven out of the game due to having too much shit to collect.  This doesnt even touch on the promo situation; 8 exclusive tournament promos pet set, BCC promos, etc.

Can I get the forum's thoughts on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough I had this issue with Heroclix. They pumped set after set. Some were micro sets, some full sets, and some were exclusive tournement only sets. I wasn't a collector thank god, but to keep up with the creep ypu had to keep spending.  The game had no return value either so I dropped it. 

 

For this game, my local scene is starting to get momentum.  About 20 people have gone to the good hobby shop and showed interest and they have a demo day and draft on the 28th (but I'll be out of town grrrrrr). As this game grows, I'm sure people will be dropping things like Tri Ginyu and junk, but to me I enjoy the theme of a deck and run what flavor the deck is.

 

Like, take Ginyu. The meta Ginyu is a crap ton of extra cards and 3 colors. How do I like ginyu? All the Ginyu force and everything inbetweeen. If I ever get the promo I'll toss that in my deck as well. I don't care to be the best at this game like I did with PanZ. I just want to play cool characters and have fun. So I'll be selective on what I buy. Set 3 has no one cool in it? Skip. Oh set 4 has Super Android 17? Tien? Sold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right that a lot of product is coming out but I wouldnt be too worried about the "promos" that come in the expansions and starters costing a lot of money. Even though they are technically promos they come with every product of that instance. So just like One Hit Destruction Vegeta and Zamasu from the two special packs, a week after release they will most likely be a couple of bucks. Even with the one starter that we have had the only card that retained any value was Prince of Speed, and then only the foil version. I don't think it will be any different.

I understand your concern, totally, but I am not worried about it because I think the associated costs will drop DRAMATICALLY very quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I kind of feel like they're starting to rush product at this juncture in order to get as much profit as they can out of the IP and card game before what they perceive as it's inevitable demise (and, to be honest, they're not fully wrong).

Right now, the Dragon Ball Super card game is anchored to the Super IP and other affiliates of Super (even somewhat including Dokkan Battle). But I imagine they perceive a large part of the CG's popularity being born from hype, and with that comes the fear that once the anime concludes the popularity of the game will subside and any extra product they have lined up, licensed, produced and printed will become net negatives. Excess money spent where the audience has already left.
On the other hand, you also have the potential sales you can net out of the anime's following. For example, once the ToP ends, they'll probably want a few pieces of product freshly being released so that they can advertise it at the time, as well as include character's or elements from it's ending. After that, if we get a 2018 movie, they'll want a pack to be ready for release around that period, and they'll want to tie promos and other exclusives to the event. In this vein, they'd want product ready, licensed, produced, and announced for every up and coming beat surrounding the Dragon Ball IP (including the release of games carrying a lot of hype; FighterZ [not totally sure if they've taken advantage of it, it would just be a really good idea from a business perspective if you say, put forward a deal of getting a deck and a copy of the game for a discount]). In this regard, this is a ridiculously vital time for the card game, as Super is reaching the end of a crucial arc and we have a ridiculous amount of Dragon Ball product lined up over the course of the year.

Additionally, this early on in a card game's life, you really want to keep discussion surrounding it alive and very, very loud. Especially considering the overall climate of card games, where the big 3 are starting to lose their neigh-monopoly on the industry. You CAN subsidize this with events, special announcements, daily card reveals, on-going communication with the fanbase and etc., but the best method will always be new content as it brings deck crafting and actual purchases with it. This ensures you stay relevant, and that you keep people coming back even between the lulls of other IPs (which you can use as leverage to generate a bigger player-base).

All of the above reasons why it makes business sense said, I actually think their playing their hand a bit too hard right now, and players like you are kind of evidence of this fact. I feel like there is a slight misunderstanding of their audience and player-base, who are mostly long-term fans of Dragon Ball and are here for the long run. By rushing out so much product so quickly, they hurt their potential sales as player's come to be more overwhelmed. Also, I think that by introducing so much product so quickly, there isn't really enough time for quality control, and they're blowing their load in what is their second phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

You are right that a lot of product is coming out but I wouldnt be too worried about the "promos" that come in the expansions and starters costing a lot of money. Even though they are technically promos they come with every product of that instance. So just like One Hit Destruction Vegeta and Zamasu from the two special packs, a week after release they will most likely be a couple of bucks. Even with the one starter that we have had the only card that retained any value was Prince of Speed, and then only the foil version. I don't think it will be any different.

I understand your concern, totally, but I am not worried about it because I think the associated costs will drop DRAMATICALLY very quickly.

Foil Prince of Speed still goes for about $8, non foil for like $4.50.  Those prices have been relatively stable, which makes sense given that it is basically the only value card in the starter deck.  The people selling starter deck exclusives upon release are trying to make money and thus, the combined selling price of the exclusives will exceed their cost.  So, anyone wanting ALL of the starter deck exclusives are better off buying a starter deck, but if you only want some of the exclusives then yeah it makes sense to go to the secondary market.

With two new starters coming out we'll likely see the same thing; the exclusive cards will be the only thing worth anything.  It turns a starter deck from something made to introduce people to the game into a product that exists to distribute staple cards at a set price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Denithan said:

To be honest, I kind of feel like they're starting to rush product at this juncture in order to get as much profit as they can out of the IP and card game before what they perceive as it's inevitable demise (and, to be honest, they're not fully wrong).

Right now, the Dragon Ball Super card game is anchored to the Super IP and other affiliates of Super (even somewhat including Dokkan Battle). But I imagine they perceive a large part of the CG's popularity being born from hype, and with that comes the fear that once the anime concludes the popularity of the game will subside and any extra product they have lined up, licensed, produced and printed will become net negatives. Excess money spent where the audience has already left.
On the other hand, you also have the potential sales you can net out of the anime's following. For example, once the ToP ends, they'll probably want a few pieces of product freshly being released so that they can advertise it at the time, as well as include character's or elements from it's ending. After that, if we get a 2018 movie, they'll want a pack to be ready for release around that period, and they'll want to tie promos and other exclusives to the event. In this vein, they'd want product ready, licensed, produced, and announced for every up and coming beat surrounding the Dragon Ball IP (including the release of games carrying a lot of hype; FighterZ [not totally sure if they've taken advantage of it, it would just be a really good idea from a business perspective if you say, put forward a deal of getting a deck and a copy of the game for a discount]). In this regard, this is a ridiculously vital time for the card game, as Super is reaching the end of a crucial arc and we have a ridiculous amount of Dragon Ball product lined up over the course of the year.

Additionally, this early on in a card game's life, you really want to keep discussion surrounding it alive and very, very loud. Especially considering the overall climate of card games, where the big 3 are starting to lose their neigh-monopoly on the industry. You CAN subsidize this with events, special announcements, daily card reveals, on-going communication with the fanbase and etc., but the best method will always be new content as it brings deck crafting and actual purchases with it. This ensures you stay relevant, and that you keep people coming back even between the lulls of other IPs (which you can use as leverage to generate a bigger player-base).

All of the above reasons why it makes business sense said, I actually think their playing their hand a bit too hard right now, and players like you are kind of evidence of this fact. I feel like there is a slight misunderstanding of their audience and player-base, who are mostly long-term fans of Dragon Ball and are here for the long run. By rushing out so much product so quickly, they hurt their potential sales as player's come to be more overwhelmed. Also, I think that by introducing so much product so quickly, there isn't really enough time for quality control, and they're blowing their load in what is their second phase.

I also feel product is being rushed out a bit without enough quality control.  Even set 2 has a handful of interactions, and even leaders, that seem like they werent fully tested.

Bandai is certainly doing a good job marketing though.  This game is getting huge.  This game's first big hurdle is going to be when the first rotation hits.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vile said:

I wonder whenPremium Bandai crap is going to come. The gundam models that come as P-Bandai suck and just gouge us in the states. 

Oh god I hope they don't pull that shit. They haven't with any of their CCG stuff in the past...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Oh god I hope they don't pull that shit. They haven't with any of their CCG stuff in the past...

The key word is "past". If there is a market for it, it is on their mind. Whether or not they ever try it depends on whether or not they have respect for the market and if they believe they can keep the vast majority of their player base after doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over-saturation is never a good thing for collectors who need time to buy product, fill in gaps, and shop for the best deals on the market. The ones who can't drop money on a half case from the start run the risk of falling behind when product is being released too fast. That coupled with exclusive promos to collect can disenfranchise a serious collector. 

For myself I'm what you would call a competitive collector. I collect a play set of each unique card. Alt art promos and reprints don't interest me much but even then, if unique content is released too close together it could mean trouble for me. 

On 1/10/2018 at 9:33 AM, Vile said:

Funny enough I had this issue with Heroclix. They pumped set after set. Some were micro sets, some full sets, and some were exclusive tournement only sets. I wasn't a collector thank god, but to keep up with the creep ypu had to keep spending.  The game had no return value either so I dropped it. 

Thankfully, they've been doing better. The Thor stuff is still good, and the next set shouldn't knock that or the recent Harley set out. Plus, Batman the Animated Series is getting a set. 

While I agree sets come out too quickly I can still just buy the IP's I care about and stay relevant. Now to wait for Uni Mind to cycle out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Really now? :D

Yep. The set will also include characters from Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, and Super Friends. It's going to be an awesome set for fans of the DC universe during the late 90s and early 2000s. I'm super excited for it. Especially, since the Animated Series has my favorite cartoon Joker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Holy shit Batman Beyond?? I don't even play but I may pick up some just to have. If you pull a Terry PLEASE let me know!

Not sure which Beyond pieces we're getting since the focus will be The Animated Series, but if they don't do an Old Man Wayne and a Terry I'll be disappointed. I'll let you know what I pull. There's still a few months before that set drops. We're getting an X-men set focused around Xavier's school and students this February and then a TMNT set just after that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've made Terry years ago. Arkym Asylum set, he was a rare (so like, a buck) IIRC. Superman Beyond was also made and is likely about 5 bucks. 

 

That set sounds cool if it uses the other shows. I'd love a super friends firestorm but they never do him well in clix. He's just kinda wonky for game mechanics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Vile said:

They've made Terry years ago. Arkym Asylum set, he was a rare (so like, a buck) IIRC. Superman Beyond was also made and is likely about 5 bucks. 

 

That set sounds cool if it uses the other shows. I'd love a super friends firestorm but they never do him well in clix. He's just kinda wonky for game mechanics. 

Ooh I may look that up. I LOVE Beyond so much.

Did they ever make a Brave and the Bold set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically, yes. But it was comics based, not cartoon based. So no OUTRAGEOUS Aquaman. 

 

EDIT: Apperently that batman is kinda pricy. That was when clix wasn't doing so hot so that set, Brave and thw bold, and Crisis seem to have higher prices. Likely due to shorter print runs. 

https://www.trollandtoad.com/p229875.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, geez.

Did you guys see the new distribution information?

Next month a new draft box, same deal with new leaders and comes with a TP3.

Then the month after that we get a new set of "themed boosters" which doesnt seem like that small of a set.

Month after, and it's an ultimate box with 5 new leaders and 25 new cards (playset of each included) and a card binder.

Then, its a new set with two new starters (yay green and yellow), special pack, and booster boxes.  And, oh yeah, two SCR this set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooooooooowwwww

Bandai really needs to understand how to slow down. Rather than pump sets, if rares were good (make upcoming Sr's rares) the game might have a healthier market. 

 

The promo's have always been an issue to me but no sense besting a dead horse. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck me o-O How do they expect to make a revenue with that layout? Their god damn audience won't have time to build up finances between releases, and you'll just discourage people to play.

Yay Bandai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Denithan said:

Fuck me o-O How do they expect to make a revenue with that layout? Their god damn audience won't have time to build up finances between releases, and you'll just discourage people to play.

Yay Bandai.

That's kind of what it's doing to me now.  I'm on the verge of moving from a "want to have everything so I can build anything" collector to a "I'll buy the rares to fill out the decks I want to play" collector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was going to bring this up actually as well. It is TOO MUCH, WAY too soon. There is no fucking way I can buy all this shit to stay current, and based on how Bandai is power creeping this game, every new thing will probably be OP until the next new thing (which will be a month later)

There's the Bandai we all know and hate... Was only a matter of time before this happened I suppose -___-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×