Stryyder

Set 3 Attack On Titan - Information Thread

Set 3 – Attack on Titan
Set Symbol – ???
Release – March 30, 2016
Packaging:
Starter Deck - 6 decks per display (6 Displays per case)
Booster box - 24 packs per display (12 displays per case)

Starter Decks:
100 cards

- 2 full decks to learn to play with a friend
 - Basic battle cards (“no extra effect” battle cards that are legal and will act as basic additions to fill out decks in limited play)
 - 10 Random Foil cards per deck

Booster Packs:
12 Cards per pack

- 1 XR (Cross rare) per box (4 total)

- 1 Active Player card per box

- 1 UR (Ultra rare) in every other box (2 total)

22 minutes ago, Vile said:

This game is still around?

I think so. I don't think AoT will take it out of the slump the way the few die hard think. It will have some good sales at first and then people will realize that the next set may not be an IP they want. They will eventually have to have Power Creep or Rotation to filter out things that might be too powerful and to keep from printing the same cards just with different IP's. This will disenfranchise players that are there for their IP. 

Now, I know it has been said you will not have to leave IP's to stay competitive but lets face it... that is an impossibility that no game has ever achieved. 

4 hours ago, Vile said:

UFS and Vice Schwarts already do the multiple IP thing, look at how popular they are >_>

Popular is a relative term which is why I intentionally did not use it. I would say both of those games have a dedicated fan base but they are rarely successful outside that fan base. Similar to how Heroclix works. Sometimes the IP's will draw in a few new players or returning old players, but generally few stay outside that dedicated fan base. 

I have no doubt MetaX will be successful amongst its dedicated fan base. I have no doubt that some IP's will draw in new and old players at times. But the ones that stay will be mostly the dedicated fan base with others dipping in and out. 

For example, I don't like UFS. But I am getting a collection of the Cowboy Bebop set. Won't play it, won't collect it past that. They'll have a one time increase that won't be there for the next set. 

Weis is unique in that you CAN'T mix IPs, which is what I wanted to see MX do.  Unfortunately AoT is in a lull right now, waiting for season 3 info.  It's just not that interesting of a property in the US.  Cryptozoic exploited the license for a year and did the DBG and board game, but neither really got the hype going.  Panini needs to pick something up that the western crowd will dig and not just comics stuff, considering anyone looking for that can play VS, Dicemasters, Heroclix or the various Deck Building games.  They need something unique and with appeal that isn't waning in popularity.

I started out wanting to play this game over DBS, but the numbers just aren't there.  The game is fun, but not as interesting as I wanted it to be.  As with most multi-IP games it suffers in that it is a generic game system, to accommodate those IPs, nothing really clicks between the gameplay and the themes of the IPs.  My LGS bought 1 box of decks and a couple booster boxes of set 1, but there was no crowd and they barely sold that, so they haven't bought any since.

1 hour ago, Stryyder said:

As with most multi-IP games it suffers in that it is a generic game system, to accommodate those IPs, nothing really clicks between the gameplay and the themes of the IPs.  My LGS bought 1 box of decks and a couple booster boxes of set 1, but there was no crowd and they barely sold that, so they haven't bought any since.

To be honest, I always find comments like these when discussing card games a bit strange. Mostly because, outside of a small handful of them (ala. Pan/ScoreZ), I don't think I've ever actually seen an IP card game with mechanics that ACTUALLY reflected their IP in any capacity. Even Final Fantasy's one bothers me quite a bit in this area as a single IP as it doesn't actually employ common themes to the series in the card game (for example, you could have introduced "Jobs" in a similar vein to how DBZ has Masteries, or how Buddyfight has Flags). Instead, we got a fairly generic and basic af Duel Masters'-esque game (which I must admit, I play a surprising amount, and enjoy a lot).

Same goes for the Dragon Ball Super card game. There is NOTHING in that card game that actually reflects Dragon Ball Z, and you can very, very easily take that gameplay and introduce just about any other Jump IP into it (such as a Naruto leader who flips over into the 4-Tails). There's a small argument for things like Union-Potara and the Fusion mechanic, but those can genuinely be thrown into so many Shonen IPs that it's not even worth mentioning as a reflection of DBZ, and Overrealm is such a generic term as well.

In regards to MetaX, I don't think this set is going to do anything on its own to increase it's play-ability. To be real, Panini has made a questionable decision with this game, going for a niche target market within an already niche industry and directly competing with several pre-standing card games with the same USP and much more history/established communities, not to mention the amount of support each one has gotten. Their marketing, thereon, hasn't been very strong, and their community engagement has been notably limited.
I can go on a bit of a tirade about missed opportunities, but rather than that, I'd actually say that Panini needs to do a lot of work to really make this game sound out and entrench itself

2 hours ago, Stryyder said:

Weis is unique in that you CAN'T mix IPs, which is what I wanted to see MX do.  Unfortunately AoT is in a lull right now, waiting for season 3 info.  It's just not that interesting of a property in the US.  Cryptozoic exploited the license for a year and did the DBG and board game, but neither really got the hype going.  Panini needs to pick something up that the western crowd will dig and not just comics stuff, considering anyone looking for that can play VS, Dicemasters, Heroclix or the various Deck Building games.  They need something unique and with appeal that isn't waning in popularity.

I started out wanting to play this game over DBS, but the numbers just aren't there.  The game is fun, but not as interesting as I wanted it to be.  As with most multi-IP games it suffers in that it is a generic game system, to accommodate those IPs, nothing really clicks between the gameplay and the themes of the IPs.  My LGS bought 1 box of decks and a couple booster boxes of set 1, but there was no crowd and they barely sold that, so they haven't bought any since.

This is the problem I'm having. MetaX is the game I wanted to win. But no one within 4 hours of driving plays. So no one carries it. I think the first IP is mostly to blame. Also, a few people in my area still hold a grudge for the cash cow that was Set 7 and the termination that was the end of a beloved game. 

Agreed with everything said here. Nobody plays this game, and this IP might have had some relevance 2/3 years ago but now it is just kind of a fizzle.

As far as UFS goes, I will say this. UFS may be "small" compared to other games but it has a dedicated community and has had an OP program, with Nationals and Worlds every year, going on for a LONG time. That is something not a lot of games can say. Not an ARG series, their own OP program.

On 1/17/2018 at 1:31 PM, Denithan said:

To be honest, I always find comments like these when discussing card games a bit strange. Mostly because, outside of a small handful of them (ala. Pan/ScoreZ), I don't think I've ever actually seen an IP card game with mechanics that ACTUALLY reflected their IP in any capacity.

Same goes for the Dragon Ball Super card game. There is NOTHING in that card game that actually reflects Dragon Ball Z, and you can very, very easily take that gameplay and introduce just about any other Jump IP into it (such as a Naruto leader who flips over into the 4-Tails). There's a small argument for things like Union-Potara and the Fusion mechanic, but those can genuinely be thrown into so many Shonen IPs that it's not even worth mentioning as a reflection of DBZ, and Overrealm is such a generic term as well.

There's actually quite a few (dead) games that reflect their IP. It's a lost art now but off the top of my head there's  Yu Yu Hakusho, Zatch Bell, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, and more I'm forgetting or just haven't played.

In full agreement about Super. While I enjoy how the game works, it really could've been any IP or no IP at all. Super just happens to be popular and they got lucky it worked out for them. Even lazier is that your deck color doesn't have to match your "MP" color and you can run your "MP" as battle cards in your deck. You can argue the sky's the limit for deck creativity but Panini seemed to understand the need to make MPs feel unique through named cards and restricting ally usage.

As for games like UFS and Weiss Schwarz, I like the idea of mixing IPs from a fun standpoint but hate having to buying into sets I don't want to be competitive. So in a way I like that you have to stick with a Weiss Schwarz IP from a cost standpoint but what if your IP gets no new sets? Power creep will overwhelm you and you'll eventually have to buy a new deck. Some IPs are lucky enough to get new promos here and there but not all of them.

It seems making a generic game and slapping an IP onto it is quite a go-to option in Japan. Not that that doesn't happen elsewhere but it seems way more common in Japan. I suppose it's easier to design one generic game and not worry about licenses expiring or lack of content to keep the game going. For me, it's disappointing when an IP-based game doesn't actually play like the IP. I won't outright refuse to play in those cases but I would have appreciated the effort of having it be like the IP despite whatever downsides there may be.

Fub fact, there was a Gundam card game that seemed to use the same mechanics as DBS. I think the Leader cards were pilots and the battle cards were mobile suits. 

I wish that had come stateside. 

30 minutes ago, Vile said:

Fub fact, there was a Gundam card game that seemed to use the same mechanics as DBS. I think the Leader cards were pilots and the battle cards were mobile suits. 

I wish that had come stateside. 

How long ago was this? The most recent Gundam Card Game (which actually did come to Australia for quite awhile, so there WERE English cards available) was really far departed from Dragon Ball Super's style of gameplay. You had two decks, a pilot deck and a... Gundam suit deck? And you took a card from your pilot deck at the start of each turn, and put it in what was basically your energy.

Was actually a pretty fun game for what it's worth, if that's the one you meant.

Cross War? It was like, 2015. I didn't delve too much into it because I found about it last year. It wad a Cardass series game. 

The thing is, that can be corrected to some degree inside the game itself. MtG often creates mechanics to be thematically to the plane being visited in that block. Some are misses but others shine. MetaX is such a simple system it is easy to implement mechanics that are unique to the IP and set. They just need to figure out how though that part might be difficult.