Vile

Dragonball Super final episode 131 - what does that mean for the game?

So with the anime ending this march, and set 3 drops in march, what does this mean for our game? Will it keep going or be halted?

Most likely nothing.  The name was really just to bank on the current series at the time.  Already with sets 3 and 4 they are moving to the other DB properties.

Also, there are rumors going around now that the show is only going on hiatus while they work on the movie and then will be back again.  who knows.

Part of me wants to say flat out 'Well, no you know why only 5 main sets were planned and why they're pumping them out so fast', but @Stryyder is right. They're doing Xenoverse now. It's already disconnected from the Super property. They still haven't finished Super, they have Ball, GT, and I'm not sure, have they finished Z?

They have plenty of material and I doubt anyone would mind new versions of the same characters.

I don't think it's worth screaming the end is nigh just yet. Wait till Set 5 and a long silence, then you know.

I feel like it's really important to note, amidst news of Super's ending, that Toei has expressly said that it's not the end of the series and that we'll have more Dragon Ball eventually. What we're probably seeing is the end of Super, and then another DB-named series to follow after the movie and all the games have gone down.

I'm with @Artificial Human. This is definitely not the end of the card game (or Dragon Ball animes), especially with how much DB product is still to come and how popular the IP is. Definitely chill out , and we'll just wait to see what comes next.

I really wish the property of the game would go the online route and have it so we can play on computers / apps, like Hearthstone. More and more games seem to be going this way and would be beneficial for player base so we can have tournaments etc. without having to go try and find a nearby place with 7-8 people tops at events.

Bandai already has a tutorial app for the game. I hope at some point they expand it so we can play the entire game. I am fine if they charge for packs online, or have it so if you already purchased the card you can somehow register the card in app.

DBS makes WAY too much money to not come back as a series.

The show is fine, therefore, the game is fine.

I am actually glad that they aren't stretching the staff thin by splitting them between the show and the movie(s) because that would have been terrible.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:21 PM, Kurt said:

I really wish the property of the game would go the online route and have it so we can play on computers / apps, like Hearthstone. More and more games seem to be going this way and would be beneficial for player base so we can have tournaments etc. without having to go try and find a nearby place with 7-8 people tops at events.

Bandai already has a tutorial app for the game. I hope at some point they expand it so we can play the entire game. I am fine if they charge for packs online, or have it so if you already purchased the card you can somehow register the card in app.

Why are you trying to reinforce the "I'm going to boycott my LGS because said community is toxic" mentality when not everyone wants to sit at home and play video games online? I get it you feel guilty taking up table space from tournament organizers to host events for said TCG/CCG while finding it tedious to go through the hassle of a 40+ minute drive to get from point A to point B.

In other words you're basically saying that there's no point in playing TCG/CCG's anymore because LGS's have already given up against online retailers. What's the point of protecting a hobby If there's no incentive to play at an LGS? I just don't see how anyone can hold an online tournament and expect it to do as well as an LGS tournament.

You're taking broad statements to quite an extreme. He said nothing about toxic communities or boycotting stores for reasons he didn't give. From a technical standpoint, playing a digital card game means going to a store less but that's less of a boycott and more of that's what you have to do if you like the game. By your logic, aren't you advocating for boycotting digital games in favor of playing a physical game at a store?

I don't have the data to back it up, but while Super seems to be quite a hit overall, it's still niche in some areas especially for those who don't have easy access to a local. In that case, if you make a far trip for a 7-8 person event, it may not feel worth it.

I personally prefer to play at a store, but this simply isn't an option for any given game. I don't know if I would pay for a digital card game and if all card games went this route I would not care for that but they already exist and if tournaments are held online, it's more inclusive regardless of where you are and your store situation. There absolutely could be online tournaments with a bigger turnout than one at a store. By virtue of it being online alone means more people can play.

At the end of the day, we can have opinions on preference but it's up to the company that creates the game whether to go digital or not.

To comment toward the actual topic of this thread, if you read the set notes for set 3 they say the game is very much not dead.  Set 4 is finished and they are currently working on set 5 already.  That takes us to nearly the end of the year.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:38 PM, Card Slinger J said:

Why are you trying to reinforce the "I'm going to boycott my LGS because said community is toxic" mentality when not everyone wants to sit at home and play video games online? I get it you feel guilty taking up table space from tournament organizers to host events for said TCG/CCG while finding it tedious to go through the hassle of a 40+ minute drive to get from point A to point B.

In other words you're basically saying that there's no point in playing TCG/CCG's anymore because LGS's have already given up against online retailers. What's the point of protecting a hobby If there's no incentive to play at an LGS? I just don't see how anyone can hold an online tournament and expect it to do as well as an LGS tournament.

When did I say anything was toxic? Please don't assume or try to put words into my mouth.

It would just be more convenient for me to play online in hopes of finding more people to play against. Would be much easier to grow  a community where it is easy to find people to play with / against. There is no one in my area that I know, of who play the game.

I'm rarely home, so my suggestion for app was to make it convenient for those who are not able to be at home and something for on the go. 

Thanks for the asshole comment though.

On 2/10/2018 at 0:29 AM, Kurt said:

When did I say anything was toxic? Please don't assume or try to put words into my mouth.

It would just be more convenient for me to play online in hopes of finding more people to play against. Would be much easier to grow  a community where it is easy to find people to play with / against. There is no one in my area that I know, of who play the game.

I'm rarely home, so my suggestion for app was to make it convenient for those who are not able to be at home and something for on the go. 

Thanks for the asshole comment though.

You didn't say anything was toxic it just seemed like one of the reasons why some players avoid going to an LGS but not the only reason. For those who no longer have access to an LGS such as yourself it's understandable but for those that still have that access should still take advantage of it while they can. The reason why there aren't as many LGS's open within a 40+ minute drive is mainly due to competition, the risks involved, as well as difficulty competing against online retailers. There has to be a viable solution.

I apologize If I came off being an asshole earlier, it's just that when it comes to the sustainability of Trading Card Games/Collectible Card Games overall that it's important for the LGS to provide the kind of experience that you don't get from playing with friends online. A lot of people don't see it that way anymore and perhaps I'm behind the times to see the real picture that younger generations don't have same/similar interests as you and I because they weren't given the same/similar gaming privileges that we've grown accustomed to.

On 1/20/2018 at 5:21 PM, Kurt said:

that would be terrable, I like to have the cards in my hand and the player in front of me. playing someone online dont seem real, feels like I am just up against another AI.

also the game is fine the main guys told me themselves:

Our card game is about Dragon Ball series and not only for Dragon ball SUPER
Seen by Dragon Ball Super Card Game at January 30th, 1:43am

At least someone here understands the downside of going full digital over playing at an LGS for those who still have the privilege of going to an LGS. I'd rather not derail this topic any further so I'll just leave it at that.