Sign in to follow this  
Artificial Human

The Naruto CCG

The Naruto CCG died here during it's third set, don't know why as Naruto was really popular here like the US, but since discovering Americans are still playing it and it went for a whopping 28 sets. Kinda curious why it ends with the Konoha Invasion/Pain arc and hasn't had Fan Sets to cover the 4th Ninja War and Kaguya, but apparently people are happy with their 28 Sets and ending on Pain. I get that, I'm watching Naruto atm and just got through Pain, if it didn't have more loose ends, it would have been an amazing end for Naruto. This game actually went longer in English than Japanese, which ended long before the American game did and changed the rules for Shippuden, which the English one did not.

Anywho, the game has a unique resource system where some cards are discarded for costs of Ninjas and Missions, which are turned into Chakra, which is used to pay for Jutsu and effects, Jutsu and Missions are also turned into Chakra when they resolve, so while you are discarding Chakra, you don't exactly run out because you are constantly pushing things into it.

The combat system is also unique, where you make teams of three Ninja, having a head Ninja using it's combat/left numeral, with two support Ninja, using their support/right numeral. Kinda like 'Banding - The Game', but many Jutsu worked with it. Ninja also have two states, Normal and Injured, during injured they turn sideways, lose non-Valid(circumstantial) effects and use different stats. Unlike other games, they do not heal at the beginning of your turn, you need effects to heal them. If a Ninja is damaged while injured, it is discarded. If a team is dealt 5+ Damage, it's considered an 'Outstanding Victory' and 2 damage is dealt to the head ninja, discarding it, while the support takes 1 damage each.

Ninja's don't really have costs, but work like Hearthstone, you have to keep track of your turn. Ninja also all have Legendary and along with Missions, are 1/turn.

At it's very core, it was a bit of a Magic Clone, but a very customised one. Missions were a merger of Sorcery and Enchantments, Jutsu's being Instants. The game also had something like the Extra Deck from YGO for team ups/fusions and upgrades. Damage is like a precursor to Vanguard however, except you don't see the damage and your damage is considered your opponent's reward for attacking you without being blocked. Your Battle Rewards  = Your Opponent's Damage. It's a little confusing to be honest. 2 damage is dealt with 5+ Power, this is called an 'Outstanding Victory.'

The game wasn't without it's problems. The game was riddled with Staples and little deck variance from Day 1 till the day it died. This is the big one the fandom talks about. Secondly, and this is mostly me perusing through the cards, but Elements/Colour was boarderline meaningless, as you can find a substantial amount of every mechanic except specific Counterspells in every colour.

Did anyone here play a substantial amount of this game? I only played the first two sets till the staple thing became prominent early, Sasuke No1 Rookie was very prominent and dominated early game, so I moved on. Frankly, it was the only TCG I'd forgotten how to play, but looking back, it looks fairly enjoyable bar some design problems.

I stopped watching Naruto during the Chunin exams, just got bored.  Tried playing Bandai DB, which was at heart a clone of Naruto CCG, didn't care for it.  Nothing really interesting for me.

Fuck that stupid game for making me love it.  I payed till the second(?) all English set when they released a Garra that searched for a card that was supposed to replace him with one of his bigger forms, but I only used it to get out of being targeted.