I might finally have the opportunity to start playing 

Without these hard to get and expensive promos, as well as needing to ease into the game due to financial reasons, just how fucked am I compared to having started day 1?

Also, how diverse is the meta? Varied or bad? I'm probably looking at a Broly, Vegeta or Android Leader deck.

8 hours ago, Artificial Human said:

Android Leader deck.

DOOO IIIIIIIIIIT.

The above said, depending on which Vegeta you mean, that would probably be your strongest choice for a competitive deck. I just think Androids are fun.

As for your question, kind of depends on your locale for the most part. I've seen some tournaments in America with really varied deck-types and Leader spreads, but out London-way, it gets a lot more monotone in what decks are used competitively.
As for finances, keep to the lowest rarity you can if you're ordering cards individually and you should be able to make up a lot of the gap you missed by not starting earlier. The main issue you'll probably find is that a lot of cards have reached staple status now, but you shouldn't be thrown out over maybe $10 for any 1 card (probably like $34 with postage though. Yay Aus.)
So, the game isn't financially unreasonable to start up this late compared to some card games, but is starting to grow in cost?

About the only promos worth anything right now are Gohans.  The Green one from TP2 is ridiculous in price but the BCC one isn't bad.

What you really need is to pick up a few boxes of set 1 to get your blue staples.  Androids are about the only deck that doesn't really need them, but if you want to make any deck other than androids you will need sets of 1 drop buu, Whis Coercion, Objection, Bulmas, Whis, boost attack piccolo, etc.  They are all common and uncommon, but still $1-3 a piece, so it adds up.

Thanks for the advice on what cards to look out for. I have 1 Objection, boo and Boost Attack Piccolo from the special set 1 with the Vegeta I got when the game came out and got a starter deck today for the rest.

I have the critical Vegeta leader, should I switch to it?

Crit Vegeta is legit good. 

While I haven't played but 1 game with my andoirds becuase my area sucks, I can tell you the only set 1 card you'll want/need is Youth Trunk Protector of something.  He does the EXACT same thing as your Boost Piccalo but for green leaders. 

Being as you are a fellow 17 fan, I suggest building.  Ignore what Shoryuu says, you don't need a single rare or higher to builda fun solid deck for local play. Plus 13 is coming in the next set so we will likely get more android fun.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:38 AM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Critgeta will always be good to great, meta depending. He does too much to not be, and can support virtually any play style.

Blue Crit Vegeta, Cell, Mecha Frieza, and Starter Goku will be relevant until they are rotated out or get power creeped into obscurity.