Sign in to follow this  

So, with the recent inclusion of traits and the constant allusions to Blue Frieza in the build-up to set 10, I thought I'd go back to the Galactic Emperor and have a try at crafting him a deck for the modern format.

... except I have no idea what style to play him in, or even what style really benefits him the most.
My thoughts mostly went back and forth between Blue Tag and Orange Ret/Combat.
My thoughts with the former was mostly imitative of an old deck a friend used to play, going for King Cold ASAP and using HFIL/Golden Frieza to drop a Cooler/Chilled turn 1 (or really whatever other ally you want to tech in) so that our opponent cannot level you out of Golden. His variant played very defensively, and did an excellent job of rejuv'ing Frieza's banished zone while slowly building up speed to start dropping insane Supernovas in the late game.
The latter was just an idea I was playing with, making use of Orange Sword Chop to net Frieza's Arrogance to your hand while using a handful of attacks that swing twice. This one mostly just lets you keep up defense while using Frieza's respectable PLs to really do some damage, and would rely minimally on any actual drills. Plus, Retribution + HFIL lets me just go and grab a drill of my choice as my first action in a combat, or even save it until my opponent is done swinging to net something I want to keep around, or I can forfeit my instant level up and build up from Frieza's level 1 for a chance at MPPV.

But then I decided to go through the Set 10 cards, and I noticed Red Announcement. And how nicely that fits into Frieza's themes. And the fact that Red has just as many, if not more, attacks that stay in play to be used twice. Plus, I've seen the havoc this combo can pull from when my aforementioned friend was trying to find a home for his own Frieza, where he was able to go into combat on turn 3 and deal easily upwards of 32-ish life cards of damage because he'd just pushed me into such a corner with the endless assault of energy attacks.

And all of this theory-crafting has left me where I am now; Wondering where the hell post-Set 10 Frieza should set-up shop and start trying to deal out the hurt. After all, Frieza has (on the surface) all the tools for a hyper-aggressive deck whether you level jump or try to grind up to MPPV.
What are people's thoughts, and does anyone have experience with trying to build Frieza since set 10? Should I give up on the prick and turn my attention to his ever-rejuvenating brother, who may have very well gained more from Torturous Volley and King Cold? After all, a Red MPPV Cooler could be MEAN.

I can’t see MPPV Frieza working (too slow). Cooler is better suited for MPPV (retri cooler might  be the lamest deck in the format). That being said, any personality with Retribution and Unleashed could work. No reason to explain Retribution decks with Unleashed.

I think Frieza’s Lv4 still has the steam to win games if you can get there, which is why Unleashed feels like a staple with him. Personally, I am tempted with getting 2 uses out of Super Nova with Ruthless Mastery. That’s the dream. Physical Ruthless beats in addition to  standard anti-anger tech should control any MPPV coming around. Probably won’t be able to get those juicy allies out though.

Blue Resolute with dominance and ally support is also nice. Mental drill and positioning drill with a lv2 camp would be the goal here. Blue positioning to get nova back on the top of the deck and then draw with Mastery. You could easily land your nova’s when you have knowledge of their hand. Unleashed still probably has a place in a deck like this as well.

Black Mischievous Frieza took 2nd place at the first Fan Z qualifier a few weeks ago.  The deck list is on retro.  Weird control/ball/surprise supernova build.  It is apparently quite formidable.  It's being played in the OCTGN League tournament going on.  He is 2-0 and so am I.  I am hoping I get to face it in battle soon.

1 hour ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

lol and that Frieza deck is my next opponent in the OCTGN tournament.  BRING IT

Give me a heads up when it's going down, and I'll try to spectate if possible. Though, if it's already happened |:

Have a huge frieza fan in my play group - Will say this: Retribution Frieza is pretty dirty. Set 1.5, which should be released sometime this week will also apparently release something for Red that makes the red variant pretty dope, and there is also Mischievous Frieza as was already mentioned. 

While I'm sure there is a blue build that would work for him, the other 3 styles he has access to are all pretty strong for Frieza. Just comes down to what you ultimately want to do with Frieza. Do you want to camp 2? Do you want to get to 4 for that sweet 3-action generating MP? Do you want to mill? Do you want to nuke with named cards? 

One mistake in your original post though that I noticed - Retribution Frieza does not get the drill first combat. He levels when entering combat (Which is not yet in combat) and retribution mastery requires that you have changed levels this combat, not turn.

I would leave MPPV to Cooler. Take the new level 1 and enjoy having easy early access to that golden form. From there, build to your liking.

1 hour ago, Amanax said:

One mistake in your original post though that I noticed - Retribution Frieza does not get the drill first combat. He levels when entering combat (Which is not yet in combat) and retribution mastery requires that you have changed levels this combat, not turn.

I actually didn't know that one. Thanks for the heads up.
Actually, you've given me quite a few heads up with rulings. Good on you, and thanks for that so far xD

9 hours ago, Denithan said:

Give me a heads up when it's going down, and I'll try to spectate if possible. Though, if it's already happened |:

Hasn't happened yet.  I'll post before it does!  Gonna be short notice, though.  He says he's very busy this week and will have to get a spur-of-the-moment game going in the after 5pm EST hours.

I have a game plan ready and SHOULD have the advantage.  I'm running Tag Vegeta and I hypothesize that I will be able to keep Dr. Brief out the entire game.