Denithan

The Games We Play

Eh, I'm feeling a bit bored lately and thought it could be fun to talk to people about what games people are playing. Kind of a slide from the other thread regarding what we're looking forward to, but different enough.

On my end, I've been trying to finish up Trails of Cold Steel 2. I beat the first game sometime last year, and OH MY GOD, that one was the best (worst) game I've ever played. Like, 90% fetch quests splitting up the story with some actually pretty interesting characters (once you get past Rean Schwarzer being as compelling and original as a wet brick). Luckily, the sequel is a lot better, actually making use of a lot of the mini-games and giving me hunts so that I get my fill of the pretty (comparatively) solid gameplay. That said, I am notoriously bad as a completionist, and the unbridled load of side quests that they don't hint at or give you visual denotations of are driving me nuts.

On the other spectrum, I have also been playing a LOT of God Eater 2 Rage Burst on PS4. I get a lot of crap for liking the game from my friends who are into Monster Hunter, but honestly, the lack of any narrative structure and the dramatically slower pace kind of killed that series for me. That and the lack of a lock-on just... I've heard it's better with World, but eh. Probably an objectively better game, but it's not to my preference. On the other hand, I really enjoyed God Eater Rage Burst's narrative (excusing the blank protagonist), and I liked the world they set up, and GE2 has kind of kept in tone. Honestly, if anyone else has the game, they should hit me up. We'll go kill something |:

Besides the above though, I'm kind of hoping to get around to Persona 5 in the near future. I played and beat all the other Personas, and loved all of them (4 the least, admittedly), and god knows, I've heard it's praises sung SO DAMN MUCH. Just aiming to knock out Trails of Cold Steel first. I also have Gundam Versus, Agents of Mayhem and the new Star Ocean lined up to play after the fact. I'm just slack as anything to change discs over until a game's done, and GE is in there <>
I should also probably go back and finish up Bloodborne. I love the game to absolute dickens, and it's probably my favorite game on the console. Just, the chalice dungeons don't stop, and I can't... I just can't not do them |: They must be done, or the games not done.

What about the rest of Top Tier? I imagine most of you are hitting up FighterZ, MH: World, maybe some Shadow of the Colossus HD. Xenoverse 2 has some DLC coming-up down the line, so I could also see people returning to the game. God knows, I probably will AFTER the DLC drops. But again; One game per console at a time |:

3DS is occupied by FFTactics A2, if anyone cares. I also have Rune Factory 4, Dragon Ball Fusions, and Final Fantasy Explorers digitally downloaded, which kind of breaks the rule of one at a time |:

I too, Denithan, am playing Gundam Versus. I just bought a ps4 and that was the first game I bought. Had to by Mudrock DLC and I've made him my main. 

That's pretty much the only game I'm playing.  An online bud and me are going to do a team-stream of us doing co-op Donkey Kong Country 2. I'll be rocking Dixie Kong for the playthrough.

I generally only get to play on weekends right now. My focus is FighterZ, FFXIV, and Paladins. Everything else is kind of on the back burner until I get to my next set of classes. 

On a side note, I picked up the Aliens VS. game and it's actually a bit fun. I didn't realize they had redone the game and did stand alone set buys instead of a traditional booster model and this might be something I collect. 

I don't know, VS didn't seem to be doing too well.  They may have started expanding into their other properties to try a last ditch effort to save it.

I'm finally going through Pokémon Ultra Sun after purchasing it at launch.  I had gone through Moon  and completed the pokedex there (about 300) so I just banked what I had there over, but that's only about 2/3 of the dex because I didn't bother catching the lower versions of the ones I evolved (i.e. a "living" dex).  Once I complete US I may try and put together a living dex.

Other than that the new baby has been taking up all my time.  I still haven't tried FighterZ, haven't gotten anything on Switch since Odyssey and I have Steven Universe Save the Light on the PS4 that I haven't been able to really play.

3 hours ago, Stryyder said:

I don't know, VS didn't seem to be doing too well.  They may have started expanding into their other properties to try a last ditch effort to save it.

Oh I'm sure it's not doing great. I picked up a starter a very long time ago and didn't care for it. 

I'm guessing very recently they did a reboot, simplifying the game and changing the distribution model to something more akin to an LCG. 

I am a huge fan of the Aliens franchise when it's not being treated like trash. I saw the art and saw Ripley and was like F' Yeah! 

Was even more excited to find that it was a stand alone and no booster collecting. 

Then I read the rule book... And I was surprised. It was well written and the game is in fact simple and I find it's current form fun. After reading the section that just goes over the VS mechanics I felt I had a strong grasp. Best part, game takes 5 minutes to teach. I built the two suggested decks in the rule book, read the Aliens set specific mechanics and went straight to facehugging people. Which is a mechanic. 

I will say, I really liked their Alien skin on the Legendary engine.  Made a lot more sense than Marvel and the changes they made between the two were strong.  Though I will say if a player gets chest bursted and turns into a Xenomorph it is pretty much game over.  I've never seen a group overcome both the game itself AND a player-turned-enemy.

The only time I ever game anymore nowadays is when I try to get a few EDH/Commander games in at the LGS's I go to, most of my friends who used to play Vanguard have already moved on to DBS at another LGS that I haven't been to yet. I don't play video games as much as I used to anymore yet I do feel as though today's society is constantly pressuring me to go back into that kind of gaming experience that's less rewarding in exchange for Trading Card Games / Collectible Card Games which felt more rewarding.

So in a sense Trading Card Games / Collectible Card Games were unintentionally designed to take advantage of LGS owners and staff at the expense of the players' own satisfaction. I think a lot of players who have already embraced the idea of going full digital have already drawn that conclusion. Someone once told me that If there isn't a difference between an AI and a real player to you then that says a lot about your social life. At the end of the day it all boils down to one's sense of immersion and how they perceive it compared to other players.

Only difference now is that today's society isn't giving us much of a choice due to prioritizing convenience above all else because that's where current market trends seem to be heading toward whether we like it or not. Video Games were something that I was once passionate about since childhood but looking back on it now compared to the current state of the industry today I feel that it's become too mainstream for it's own good. It's gotten to a point where players are willing to except it as the only form of gaming because society tells them that it's the only option available.

This TCG issue is a strictly western problem and an issue with the western market in general.

Japanese Boosters for Pokemon, for example, have the same pull rates as English, half the set size and are 150Y. This very low cost is common among most all JTCGs and their own singles prices reflect that. With the low cost, it's affordable for kids, boosters are easier to move for LGS without massive discounts, singles sellers can profit despite the lower prices and is just generally accessible for all. The games' R&D, Marketing and Art can all be covered because Japan goes for quantity and accessibility.

In the west, I don't know how or why Wizards squanders money and make poor business decisions/not taken influence from Japan, but it's set in stone what the western market will 'take' and it's strangling it to death. Packets may not have gone up much in cost over the years for the player, but for the store? From what I've heard, 50%. Of course the stores can't profit, Wizards is doing something that's increasing their costs beyond what is reasonable and Online just puts that final pinch. I'd wager Wizards are pissing money away on overpriced artists and too many staff members. Everyone else follows suit because Wizards is the market leader, so nothing is truly profitable.

I'd like to see Pokemon switch to their Japanese format, make MRSP a pack 1.50USD and set a market trend. I strongly believe if Pokemon and YGO switch to their Japanese formats, the TCG market can be preserved and the entire market will have to shift to pushing more product to everyone over whales and pricing people out.

4 minutes ago, Artificial Human said:

I'd like to see Pokemon switch to their Japanese format, make MRSP a pack 1.50USD and set a market trend. I strongly believe if Pokemon and YGO switch to their Japanese formats, the TCG market can be preserved and the entire market will have to shift to pushing more product to everyone over whales and pricing people out.

What's strange is that, in the same vein as this, every "new" competitor who rears their head in the market seems to work off of these Japanese trends for the first few sets. The Final Fantasy TCG was incredibly cheap, at least for Queensland stores and players, upon launch. Consequently, we saw it get adopted throughout EB Games, JB Hi-Fi, and most independent realtors alike. Similar can be said for when Vanguard was starting up, where I genuinely saw the first few sets sold everywhere. But in both cases, by the 3rd set or so, we started to see a small but noteworthy trend with rarities and pack pricing that shifted towards the standard "Western" model. This especially holds true for Vanguard,  which is starting to average prices comparable to the bigger 3.

Ultimately, while people may want to point the finger at online and decry how it's killed local scenes, the reality is probably more that the industry, and community, has done this to itself over time.

But, to be blunt, all of this is really departed from what I was asking here. I just wanted to know what games people are hitting up |:
TCGs in the west are going to be fine. They'll evolve and adapt, just like the rest of society will, over time. In the short-term, we might see the hobby start to fade out, but god damn vinyl has made a pretty loud come-back. It's just up to the companies to catch wind.

All this talk aboutTCG's is reminding me why I love Gundam Skirmish. Models that have a purpose outside of a game, but still a game to play with other nerds. We don't even have tournements, just free play and a conquest league, and more people show up for those than any TCG I've played. I'll be playing this saturday, maybe I'll take a few pics for my customs thread, as it's nice to see other people bringing their painted kits to play with. 

1 hour ago, Vile said:

All this talk aboutTCG's is reminding me why I love Gundam Skirmish. Models that have a purpose outside of a game, but still a game to play with other nerds. We don't even have tournements, just free play and a conquest league, and more people show up for those than any TCG I've played. I'll be playing this saturday, maybe I'll take a few pics for my customs thread, as it's nice to see other people bringing their painted kits to play with. 

OH

MY

GAWD

@Vile THAT LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN

1 hour ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

OH

MY

GAWD

@Vile THAT LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN

I've mentioned it a few times before. The anime shop in STL has battles every other week, as well as build jams and build competitions. It's really a fun place for gundam fans. 

On 2/21/2018 at 6:23 AM, Denithan said:

But, to be blunt, all of this is really departed from what I was asking here. I just wanted to know what games people are hitting up |:
TCGs in the west are going to be fine. They'll evolve and adapt, just like the rest of society will, over time. In the short-term, we might see the hobby start to fade out, but god damn vinyl has made a pretty loud come-back. It's just up to the companies to catch wind.

TCG's in the west are a lot closer to becoming what came of the American Arcade during the turn of the new millennium. It was once a place where you could prove your skills to others much like the LGS but when online gaming started to become a thing with eSports, Post-Millennial's already jumped on the bandwagon while Generation X and Millennial's got left behind.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:00 AM, Artificial Human said:

In the west, I don't know how or why Wizards squanders money and make poor business decisions/not taken influence from Japan, but it's set in stone what the western market will 'take' and it's strangling it to death. Packets may not have gone up much in cost over the years for the player, but for the store? From what I've heard, 50%. Of course the stores can't profit, Wizards is doing something that's increasing their costs beyond what is reasonable and Online just puts that final pinch. I'd wager Wizards are pissing money away on overpriced artists and too many staff members. Everyone else follows suit because Wizards is the market leader, so nothing is truly profitable.

Digital is the biggest reason why the cost of Print Media has gone up over the last few years where companies are either forced to lower the quality of their products or raise their prices while some companies choose to lower print quality because it's the only way for them to compete against Digital Media without going out of business.

This doesn't effect countries outside the U.S. where companies are able to accommodate the price increase without having to sacrifice quality. This explains why the card stock quality for Japanese TCG's are much higher than that of American TCG's where they're either forced to sell faulty products that warrants a class action lawsuit or by making their products too expensive to purchase without sacrificing quality.

3 hours ago, Card Slinger J said:

This doesn't effect countries outside the U.S. where companies are able to accommodate the price increase without having to sacrifice quality. This explains why the card stock quality for Japanese TCG's are much higher than that of American TCG's where they're either forced to sell faulty products that warrants a class action lawsuit or by making their products too expensive to purchase without sacrificing quality.

They should print in China. UFS does, the game is tiny yet profitable.

Bought PS+ and Gundam Versus has been the highlight for awhile now. Turns out I suck pretty bad though. 

But if any if you guys wanna play with me, shoot me a request on PSN. Vile_MKII

Soon I plan to get South park fractured butthole. 

With the most recent Extra Pack, I decided I'd swing back to Xenoverse 2 and see what's changed. It's been a while since I've played it properly, and to be honest, I actually really enjoy the game. And now I just need to ask;

What the hell happened? o-O The friendly AI seems significantly more useless now (interrupting my own comboes, actively locking on to me while I'm knocked out and just hovering in spot without moving, ALWAYS locking on to the same enemy as I am despite the fact that there are 4 other enemies for them to tackle), and the enemy AI seems, just... Cheap? From them actively ganking you, to them regaining 3-4 blocks of stamina halfway through my combo, to perfect blocking mid-taking damage and immediately going into an ultimate.

Don't get me wrong, a part of me is happy for the extra challenge when I'm solo'ing a PQ. But geesh, this feels like an active step in the opposite direction. I actually feel like this game was better (offline) a year ago. So once again; What the hell happened here?

I haven't played xenoverse 2 in awhile. I'm too lazy to make a new character and  I don't understand what adding more characters does, because the concept of the game is to play your own custom guy. 

5 hours ago, Vile said:

because the concept of the game is to play your own custom guy. 

I mean, I think that's the USP, but I wouldn't say it's the concept. I feel the concept is more of a spiritual successor of the Budokai Tenkaichi games in that it's attempting to fill the same kind of DBZ-Fighter niche. And I would 100% argue that the most fun you'll ever have in the game is NOT playing your own custom characters (who are still fun to play if you learn the racial comboes, don't get me wrong), but playing as cast characters. The game gets REAL FUCKING OLD, real fast if you just play your customs.

That said, the most recent (free) update added the ability to edit some of the cast characters as well. So you can mess with outfits, colors, skillset, etc. Which is kind of neat? It's cool to see Future Gohan pull the Father-Son Kamehameha, but I feel they were too reserved with it. They gave Nappa Super Saiyan, but most of the characters only have access to what they would reasonably have access to anyway. No Super Saiyan Blue Turles or anything ridiculously outlandish like that.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:08 PM, Artificial Human said:

Doing a second run in Fallout 4 for the platinum trophy.

I also need to finish Pokemon Moon I got during the Christmas sales, but it's so fucking boring.

After I finish Fallout, my little spare time will be devoted to Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory.

Just curious what kind of character you were running in FO4?  I actually just finished a play through last night (my fourth I think)  with a character specializing in Charisma and Intelligence who used automatic weapons.

Now that I'm done with FO4 its time to start Xenogears.

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

Just curious what kind of character you were running in FO4?  I actually just finished a play through last night (my fourth I think)  with a character specializing in Charisma and Intelligence who used automatic weapons.

I uninstalled all the updates, played offline and did the cloning glitch to give myself max stats. I wasn't really interested in Role Playing anything, just getting Trophies with the least hassle.

Mission Accomplished. Now I'm over half way threw Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory. It's alright, the first one was amazing, this really feels like extremely long DLC. Acts like it too, imports save data and your play time from the original. It's not bad, I've enjoyed it a lot, but it pales in comparison to both the original Cyber Sleuth and Digimon World Next Order. Both fantastic games, especially Cyber Sleuth.

Never the less, I'm still amazed how Digimon has gone from the original Digimon World, a very ambitious game that was fairly punishing and time intensive, to a cavalcade of mediocre to bad games to, on the PS4, making both Digimon World finally balance out the ambitions and being fun, as well as the amazing Cyber Sleuth.

Can't recommend PS4 Digimon enough if you're into Mon JRPGs.