Denithan

The Games We Play

Well, I finally went through ultra sun, after installing it and letting it sit for 4 month (having a kid will do that to you).  I enjoyed the changes they made.  Just wandering around now to complete the dex, maybe try and get the few legendaries I don't have in the gang I've been consistently transferring since White 2.  One of these days I'll have a living dex completed.

Not sure what's next.  a lot of good stuff on the direct today.  Looking forward to Hyrule Legends definitive, even though I have it for WiiU and 3ds already and I never got around to playing the latter much.  I'll probably try the South Park game once it gets to switch.  One of my friends actually worked on it and I've been wanting to give it a try, but trying to game on the TV is rough these days (see the parenthetical in the first sentence of this post).  I'd also like to try Okami HD, since I've never played on, but I love the artstyle.  Plus of course Smash Bros.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, Stryyder said:

Well, I finally went through ultra sun, after installing it and letting it sit for 4 month (having a kid will do that to you).  I enjoyed the changes they made.  Just wandering around now to complete the dex, maybe try and get the few legendaries I don't have in the gang I've been consistently transferring since White 2.  One of these days I'll have a living dex completed.

Not sure what's next.  a lot of good stuff on the direct today.  Looking forward to Hyrule Legends definitive, even though I have it for WiiU and 3ds already and I never got around to playing the latter much.  I'll probably try the South Park game once it gets to switch.  One of my friends actually worked on it and I've been wanting to give it a try, but trying to game on the TV is rough these days (see the parenthetical in the first sentence of this post).  I'd also like to try Okami HD, since I've never played on, but I love the artstyle.  Plus of course Smash Bros.

I cannot wait for Smash Bros. and Okami HD is beautiful. I LOVED it on PS2 back in the day, but the art style is really cool. It's fun running around a practical canvas of color.

Finally got around to beating Trails of Cold Steel 2. Have to admit, the game is pretty fucking good. Finnicky af. Especially if you want to get an S-Rank, but still.

One big complaint I have though is that they definitely over-extended with the casts in this specific trilogy. It's something like, 30+ playable characters including all guest characters and bonus characters? You also have 12 members of Class VII you spend most of the game with, and tbh, 12 characters is too many for a game this short to adequately develop and give meaningful arcs to. Consequently, actually doing all the bonding events, you can miss like, 90% of the dialogue, and you will have missed absolutely nothing in terms of character narratives.

In many ways, this game could have been easily refined into a really stand-out RPG/story. As it is, Rean, Millium and Alisa are probably unnecessary and clog things. And the fact that one of those is the protagonist is really deterring (shit, my fiancee made a passing comment at one point that the protagonist should just be Julius, since he actually has family on both sides of the war and his brother is the tactical leader of the enemy forces).

Now onto Persona 5, another JRPG with an unholy SHIT TONNE of characters. But if the previous ones are anything to go by, they've done a much better job of giving characters meaningful arcs with what screen time they have.

Got bored and decided to go back to BotW and MO for a while.  I never did complete the BotW master trials and the new luigi balloons seemed interesting:

BotW - I am so out of practice.  I'm in the middle trials and I keep dying left and right.  Hardly have been able to get into the dark floors and then couldn't get past the Hinox because I couldn't see where I was going and ended up running into a wall for 5 seconds while he caught up and smashed me.  Hopefully I can get back to where I used to be on this game.

Odyssey - The balloon game is kind of fun, but once everyone realized the hardest places to put balloons in every level that's all you get offered to find.  it's a bit monotonous and annoying, particularly for someone like me who won't bother to look up the good hiding places.