sh0ryu_repp4

DBS 2018 Product Releases and Nationals Confirmed

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet but somebody leaked some information (I believe it was from GAMA) on the planned releases for DBS for the rest of 2018, along with announcing a Nationals event.

https://ibb.co/bJLVVH
https://ibb.co/ePJvxx
https://ibb.co/fqmhcx
https://ibb.co/fU7oHx

Also they did a YouTube commercial, which, as usual, doesn't really say much 

So we got another set coming out, another Draft box, a big ass collection box, a (pretty big) subset AND Nationals. Which seem to be there will be more Regionals that winners will be invited to. I hope the finals isn't invite only, that would suck, but who knows.

I am super hype about Nationals, it is the one thing I wanted from this game this year, but as @The Bear mentioned in another post I think they are pumping out WAY too much product WAY too soon. What say you Top Tier?

Way too much product in too small a space for them to guarantee a fun and compelling environment imo. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but if every release causes huge shifts in the meta then I cannot see Bandai being able to maintain a fun experience.

And if the sets are inconsequential, then this is financially inadvisable on the part of the company as they will neither serve as necessary to deck construction, nor good for collector's because of how short term it all is.

42 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I am not interested in the meta shifting every month...

Ayeeeeeee at least you got a side deck.  I say just run one deck through the season and sprinkle the seasonings into that sidedish that you need. 

1 hour ago, Vile said:

Ayeeeeeee at least you got a side deck.  I say just run one deck through the season and sprinkle the seasonings into that sidedish that you need. 

That is actually what I pretty much plan on doing unless the leader becomes WOEFULLY outclassed, and that is SS3 Goku. I feel its effects are good enough to carry it, it isn't pigeonholed into one archetype too much, it has some legs I feel.

1 hour ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

That is actually what I pretty much plan on doing unless the leader becomes WOEFULLY outclassed, and that is SS3 Goku. I feel its effects are good enough to carry it, it isn't pigeonholed into one archetype too much, it has some legs I feel.

Starterku > SS3 Goku.  SS3 Goku leader is a trap.

I've said something to this effect before but I don't know how they went from a nice and reasonable 8 SRs and 12 Rs in set 1 to 14 SRs, 18 Rs, a SCR for no reason, and dash packs (especially since they're not just box toppers) for no reason. I mean, they have every reason/right to do this but it's really annoying. Their greed surpassed all my expectations. I don't know where they found the time to go from set 1's player-friendly counts and underestimating sales to the insanity of all these products.

I can't think of another card game that vomited this much product in this time frame. And it's not like they're reprint sets or a starter here and there. These are full booster sets and $100 products, at least that's what they're asking. Arguably the draft boxes are skippable because you should just buy the leaders separately (Who alone is buying four of these to get the leaders anyway?) but really now. And this ultimate box is another $100 product. ALL of those cards better be foil...

Maybe they won't even bother addressing Mecha Frieza because they already know there's something worse in the works. He'll be a cupcake soon enough. Why let metas settle when there's a new one you have to worry about potentially every month?

On 3/17/2018 at 1:59 AM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

That is my big concern. It seems every new thing is way more broke than the last, or just better for Mecha Frieza.

I am not interested in the meta shifting every month...

Don't play JTCGs then. :D

1 hour ago, Artificial Human said:

Don't play JTCGs then. :D

I mean.... I guess? The only two games I have ever seriously played are PanZ and UFS so maybe that's why this is new to me.

Yeah the product releases are a bit excessive. I'd rather see larger releases less frequently (every four months), than smaller releases with larger releases happening frequently every month.  That just makes the longevity of the game questionable. Right now, locally, it's the biggest game, with new players joining every week. However, once the release schedule is kicked into overdrive (new product April, May, July, August, September, etc.) that'll probably change except for the few diehards. I don't like the game that much to not eat.

On 3/20/2018 at 0:43 PM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I mean.... I guess? The only two games I have ever seriously played are PanZ and UFS so maybe that's why this is new to me.

To be honest, that's probably not completely it either.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of JTCGs do go hard on pack releases. Vanguard is a good example of this. BUT, Vanguard is a good example of this. Most of the games are set up in a way where you can support specific themes without affecting the rest of the game in any dramatic sense. Shit, to use the revamp as the example, it kicks up in June, and we get 2 structure decks and the opening pack. Then, the next month, we get Tachikaze and co., which will have pretty much 0 effect on decks from the previous set and won't be something you'd buy if you're concentrating on one of those first 4 clans. DBSuper can maybe be trying to swing into this as we progress, but so far, they've not done a good job of this model.

This kind model mostly works on the premise of "Keep the conversation going" ftr. You get people to join your game by keeping the spotlight on your game through intermittent card reveals, constant hype for decks to receive that next tier of support, and so on and so forth.

But EVEN under that model, Super is over-releasing and going a bit too hard. Realistically, they should be lowering it down to maybe one major release every 3 months (with smaller releases in-between, like specific Leader-support) so that we get quarterly metas. This is a tried and true release strategy, and it also leaves so much room for them to work with less-powerful leaders in a meaningful way for purists and collectors to get excited fo (making up for their weaker leader skills by pumping up their main deck).