Sign in to follow this  
LordVader

Future TCGs

So I’ve been wondering is this style of the DBZ tcg ever going to be created again? I know the Super one is out but I’ve been reluctant to give it a shot (still bitter about this one being a cash grab) and I don’t want to spend the money if super is going to share the same fate.

If this will return or not is not really something anyone can say right now. The simple reality is that, at present, Bandai has minimal interest in selling the rights to the source material if it would mean greater competition in the market.

So basically, we can't say until after DBSuper's card game starts to take a backseat (IF it does), and then we'll need to wait for both another company with a desire to produce the game in this style and for the right environment to present itself and make it stable. Being realistic with you, while DBSuper will NOT be the last Dragon Ball card game, it's genuinely difficult to say if we'll get another resurgence of Score's game-play.

This said, just in response to your comment about this one having been a cash-grab, I maintain that I think the PanZ variant of the game was overall a net-positive.
A few people have stated that they feel it actually did more harm than good to the ScoreZ variant of the game. But to be honest, I feel like the new ruleset (specifically regarding named cards), as well as the slew of tournaments and official events that came with Panini's era, gave the game a lot more accessibility and some much deserved time in the light.

And we also do need to remember that even after ANY AND ALL CASH-FLOW HAD CEASED, we still have members of that team continuing to work on the game of their own volition. So I feel like simply addressing PanZ as a cash-grab is disingenuous when members seem to care enough about the game to continue after any self-benefit is gone.

I would play just about anything on the Jim Ward engine. However, I think it'll be at least a decade before we can even consider this coming back. I wouldn't say a complete Cash Grab. Set 1 for sure, but you have to understand they had no clue it would be successful and were prepared for it to die there. Set 2 and 3 feel like they weren't sure still shocked that set 1 was successful. Set 4 had glaring template and printing issues they argued in defense of to death but I feel they were just trying to make the best of it. Set 5 and 6 were perfect in my opinion. They finally found their mojo and I believe it would have been great going forward. 

Now, Set 7. Was absolutely a cash grab. 6 UR, two of which were reprints of must have cards and two of then new ones being must haves with one of them being super must have kept at a 1:2 ratio on booster boxes making it impossible to get a full play set of UR in a single case. Yeah that was a cash grab. Especially, since I remember reading from one of the developers that the game was licensed per set. Did the development team know... probably not. I'm confident Aik and Richie had an idea the game could die but Panini parent absolutely knew what direction they were going in before the announcement and most likely shortly before Set 7. It is my understanding that Parent Panini had say on the distribution rates of UR and I would be willing to bet they are the ones that did the 1:2 ratio with 6 UR. 

If we're talking Awakening cash grabs, let's not forget the one Dragon Rare per box. While the cards themselves are accessible through starters, what was the problem with doing the three starter foils per box like in Evolution?

Super's release schedule for the year is insane. In the short time this game has existed, they have gone above and beyond what I've seen in any other game in terms of product releases. No breathing room to enjoy a set because the next one's in two months. A new product pretty much every month, some of which retail for $100 a piece. Not to mention the excessive amounts of necessary promos you may or may not have access to. In some ways they have every reason to be overconfident but this is too much and I hope they get burned for it. All Panini had beyond your standard booster set was starter decks every three sets and a Comic-Con promo each year. That was plenty.