Soooo my one play partner is getting rather stale to play against. He just straight mppvs most of the time and will occasionally do a beat down broly style deck. I am wanting to force him to change playing mppv via completely wrecking that play style for him (sounds dickish, I know.) His go to is red ascension trunks (awakening)- taking suggestions on how to accomplish this. Unsure of what style to go with and MP. Or if somebody wants to talk me down from this, my ears are open! 

For specifically dealing with Red Ascension Trunks, you're probably best off looking at a Black deck. Maybe something like Black Bardock depending on your friends build. Your first action screens the opponent's deck for any odd techs or important cards you can see (look for Heroic Dashing Punches, and if there's only one left, destroy it before the opponent gets to it), your second is something like Black Scout Maneuver to banish all the Trunks' Slam/Red Sword Stabs/whatever other problem card you wanna hit in their deck. You also get to use cards like Black Volley (I don't remember the full name, it's 1 am. It makes it so any anger gain is set to 0 for the turn). Just a few key cards that really dick around with MPPV.

Or you could go for a classic MPPV disruption tactic. I personally really favor Blue Tag Team for this purpose, but any Blue Mastery works. You can use things like Blue Defensive Effect to flat-out stop his anger gain (with good endurance), Blue Head Knock to make an entire turn of building Anger mean nothing, Blue Knee/Neck Beam/Blue Takedown with an extra Earth Dragon Ball 5 thrown in to flat delevel your mate back down. You could even chuck in a couple of Vicious Strikes to compliment the anti-MPPV theme of the deck, but you'd need to find an MP that's comfortably able to level-hop to match that one (maybe something like Cooler, with Blue Dominance to bring you up to 2, and then his Level 2's in-built anger gain to go up higher, or a Gohan level-hop deck working around Gohan's Backlash and etc).

It depends on if you're specifically looking to hurt Ascension Trunks, or if you're looking to hurt MPPV. Ascension Trunks, Black can really do a number on by just banishing most of the needed pieces from deck directly. Blue is hands down the anti-MPPV style though, with the biggest range of utility and anger to 0 cards of any of the styles.

Protective Future Gohan has the best MPPV match up in the game IMO. An important thing to note against MPPV decks is to try not to attack into their blocks as much. Ascension Trunks specifically loves to enter with 3 blocks and a slam. My advice would to play Baba, Blue Mental Drill, Bardock, or any other consistent hand knowledge cards. You’ll know when attacking is just advancing their game plan and if you can handle it. 

Orange has a good matchup for MPPV as well. Orange Meditation is one of the most degenerate cards in the game.

As far as black Bardock goes, I think he has a bad matchup against Trunks. Your win condition is to get rid of all Trunks Knee Bash and Red Mule Kick; then slap wallbreaker on them and coast to victory. It’s a pretty fragile plan. 

Random Number Gaming has both Mischievous Bardock and Protective Future Gohan breakdowns on youtube. It may be worth checking out.

7 hours ago, Antispor said:

As far as black Bardock goes, I think he has a bad matchup against Trunks. Your win condition is to get rid of all Trunks Knee Bash and Red Mule Kick; then slap wallbreaker on them and coast to victory. It’s a pretty fragile plan.

There's probably a logic and point to your argument here, especially since I'm not that well-versed in the specific match-up, but I feel like that might also be under-selling Bardock's stack a bit. The main reason I was thinking Black Bardock is because of the ability to mill/screen your opponent's deck without needing to attack, alongside certain really good shutdown cards like Black Defensive Burst which flat-out shuts down Trunks' main method of anger gain. He also plays into your point about hand-screening.
Basically, play it as you would any other match-up with Black Bardock, and focus on mill/in-direct damage and disruption to rile people up.

But I do agree, as in my original comment, that Blue is the best anti-MPPV style in the game. Plus, you get a nice little Red VS Blue theme, which is always nice.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone,  definitely leaning toward a blue type Future Gohan. Seems like a lot of fun and what I’m looking for as far as a complete shutdown.

27 minutes ago, LordVader said:

Well I ran it, and don’t think I have a playing partner anymore (at least for a while)lol. Gonna install OCTGN now so I can play with different people. Thanks for the help guys!

Now that’s comedy. Lol. 

I have to really question the ability Bardock has to beat Ascension Trunks. I don’t ever see Black Defensive Burst landing. You’re also throwing a physical attack into a potential Red Blocking Hand and also his lvl 2 blocks a physical attack. I don’t see much of a point in Bardock “screening” the deck because most Ascension Trunks decks are pretty cookie cutter and I really hope your gameplan isn’t to destroy attacks and put them into his discard, just to see them bite back when he reaches lvl 3.

Black also has no real answer for Tactical Drill, which will see play because of Red Stops/Freezing Beams that Trunks employs. Controlled Anger Drill is also a pain in the ass for Bardock with being able to put these key cards back into the deck. I’m just a little confused why Black of all styles, would be your first suggestion.

LordVader, did you happen to build the Protective FG deck on your own, or did you use the list on RandomNumberGaming’s YouTube?

For the most part I ran what random number gaming put up- I tweaked a few cards either from not having any (spheres) and knowing how my friend plays. Which incidentally he doesn’t really run events too much. It was a lot of fun to use the deck and I’m probably gonna keep it around to tweak it some more (not a huge fan of using allies).

19 hours ago, Ctp_kevinlettuce said:

I have to really question the ability Bardock has to beat Ascension Trunks. I don’t ever see Black Defensive Burst landing. You’re also throwing a physical attack into a potential Red Blocking Hand and also his lvl 2 blocks a physical attack. I don’t see much of a point in Bardock “screening” the deck because most Ascension Trunks decks are pretty cookie cutter and I really hope your gameplan isn’t to destroy attacks and put them into his discard, just to see them bite back when he reaches lvl 3.

I mean, I'm not going to die on this hill since I tend to be more the Trunks player than the Bardock player, but I still feel like this is just kind of underestimating the amount of early damage Bardock can do to Trunks.

Just going off my own experiences, having all my Red Sword Stabs banished turn 1, losing Time, and just not really being able to enter in on Bardock safely because of combat enders is frustrating. And it is equally frustrating to bait a Bardock into throwing out a Defensive Burst while I have an answer ready thanks to his hand screening (which in itself is frustrating). Then throw out things like Black Swirl, and I generally find that I just don't get to play the game when I'm in that match-up unless my opponent makes a massive misplay, or I get really lucky.

I could just have bad luck though. But I am going to say, literally the entirety of the Black Perceptive Mastery is a hard-counter to Tactical Drill. You can make an argument that they shouldn't have any attacks get through, but that argument's self-defeating as it just gets into "BUT THIS CARD" debates.

Admittedly though, you should probably just take a Black Perceptive Bardock out against a Red Ascension Trunks yourself, and decide how you feel there.

15 hours ago, LordVader said:

Just ran Blue Gohan vs my Black perceptive Tien....ouch. Utterly destroyed tien, and I thought it was a good deck lol.

I can't really comment on how good the Tien is since I've not seen it, but that one could also be chalked down to Blue F. Gohan having a REALLY good match-up.

To be honest, I can't think of many personalities that DO have an innate advantage over F. Gohan. He doesn't really have too much in the way of weaknesses, so I think you're mostly looking at neutral match-ups at worst. But Tien decks (in my experience) tend to be pretty personality power dependent and a little squishy, neither of which fares well against the hybrid Saiyan.