Based on the new trailer for the upcoming Broly film, Dragon Ball Minus is now canon. Apparently Toriyama decided to make Raditz non-canon, retcon Goku and Vegeta's past including Bardock's rebellion against Frieza, change Broly (which was obvious), and Paragus (as If that wasn't enough already). Then for some reason he decided to change Frieza's base form color scheme just like he did with Future Trunks' purple hair. Gogeta isn't safe either. All of these unnecessary changes happening 20+ years later when we could've just had like I don't know, A NEW STORY!?!

The Dragon Ball Super anime has been confirmed to continue after the Tournament of Power arc next year with another retelling arc based on the upcoming Broly film. Really? After Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' they have us wait for ANOTHER new arc in the anime? Apparently Broly is going to be joining the Z Warriors as If we needed to add another Saiyan to the "roster" or should I say "peanut gallery". Why not focus on Gohan or Piccolo for a change? At least do something with Piccolo.

7 minutes ago, Card Slinger J said:

At least do something with Piccolo.

They did. Just as he did before he's taking on the family roles that Goku neglects. He's now the grandfather that Goku isn't. Probably keeps Chi-Chi company at this point. 

Fair enough though I do find it odd that the trailer says that Goku, Vegeta, and Broly were born "around the same time" even though Vegeta is 6 years older than Goku. At this point why don't they just retcon more of the Dragon Ball mythos by making Mr. Satan Vegeta's grandfather or that the fusion dance was only a dream that Goku had since nothing's canon anymore.

This is arguably the worst thing to happen to the Dragon Ball franchise since One More Day in Marvel Comics. What made characters like Goku and Bardock so appealing was that they were low-class nobodies who are essentially forced by random circumstances (whether it was a prophecy or a bump to the head) become heroes and overcome adversity.

Now they're being turned into destined heroes which makes the original source material a lot more trite and boring.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:19 AM, Card Slinger J said:

Based on the new trailer for the upcoming Broly film, Dragon Ball Minus is now canon. Apparently Toriyama decided to make Raditz non-canon, retcon Goku and Vegeta's past including Bardock's rebellion against Frieza, change Broly (which was obvious), and Paragus (as If that wasn't enough already). Then for some reason he decided to change Frieza's base form color scheme just like he did with Future Trunks' purple hair. Gogeta isn't safe either. All of these unnecessary changes happening 20+ years later when we could've just had like I don't know, A NEW STORY!?!

The Dragon Ball Super anime has been confirmed to continue after the Tournament of Power arc next year with another retelling arc based on the upcoming Broly film. Really? After Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' they have us wait for ANOTHER new arc in the anime? Apparently Broly is going to be joining the Z Warriors as If we needed to add another Saiyan to the "roster" or should I say "peanut gallery". Why not focus on Gohan or Piccolo for a change? At least do something with Piccolo.

I actually really, really don't want to defend any of this. At all. I'm actually really frustrated and annoyed at all these changes, and I just... Why did they need to connect Broly by some random fate to Goku and Vegeta? Can't he have just been some random fucking Saiyan who still existed?

BUT. I do somewhat need to defend a different color scheme for Frieza. I don't know if we ever canonically saw flashbacks to the Frieza of yester-year, and his race can freely mold and change their bodies and colors. So in theory, he could've just rocked out that first form for a few years, then slowly molded it into something he likes more.

God I hope the rumors that Broly is going to become a Z-Fighter are just fucking false. My god, it's just... Enough. Enough.  Please.

EDIT: Alright, so I watched a video by TeamFourStar, and I can freely admit when I'm wrong. It seems like Toriyama's "retconning" a lot less than we think, and more like a lot of what we have already was filled in by someone else.

It's still frustrating to see so many changes to the story we know, but at the least, I have to give it to Toriyama that he's not "forgotten details," and from his perspective, is probably just working to fill in the blanks. After all, we know for a fact that he didn't watch too much of Toei's anime. I'm still bothered by him connecting Goku, Vegeta and Broly by fate though.

Toriyama's not beholden to some other writer's version of his main character's origin (regardless of how much he's said he likes it). We already saw this version in Dragon Ball Minus - it's not a new development. We're simply seeing another divergence between "Toriyama-continuity" and "Toei-continuity" play out on screen. Just like Roshi's story of the Dragon Balls' origin or Dr. Frappe: "Our Lord Creator came up with something else, so we have no choice but to adapt that and quietly ignore what we came up with by ourselves."

The Lucas comparison is a good one - the Expanded Universe was not his story or under his control, so he had no problems overwriting whatever he wanted when creating new material. And really, why should he? It's not his problem that some people treat these ancillary things like immutable stone tablets handed down by Moses. If somebody wrote an origin story for my protagonist as a tie-in novel or something, I'd probably ignore it if I wanted to tell that story myself, even if it was good - because chances are it never lined up with my notions of what that story would be anyway.

Toriyama and Toei had a real opportunity to do something different with Dragon Ball Z, and that was to explore the history of the Super Saiyan or Saiyan God. They could have decided to tell us more about who those individuals really were and what they went through to get to that state, however; they decided to rehash some old idea that was done before. Stupidity. I get that they don't have as much creative space for new material due to the 3 year time gap between the end of the Buu arc and the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai but that isn't any excuse not to put in the effort.

I think Zephyr from the Kanzenshuu forums said it best:

And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.

So, now that the Broly movie is all-but-released everywhere, and spoilers are abound, what is everyone's thoughts about what's happening with Dragon Ball? Heck, if you're one of the people who's seen the movie already, what are your thoughts?

I've not really seen the movie yet myself, but having seen a bit of the spoilers, it seems... Cool? I would never argue that Dragon Ball is a very deep, philosophical story, but it seems to hit a lot of the notes people would want from a Broly movie. Still a bit meh about Broly being a good guy, but his new backstory is kind of touching (in an abstract way), and I would probably like him if he wasn't unreasonably powerful. Like, put this at the end of the original Dragon Ball, pre-GoD stuff, and yeah, I could get behind it?

My biggest chagrin from the movie is mostly just that the future of Dragon Ball is pretty much tied to the train that is the 3 U7 Saiyans.