Card Slinger J

U.S. Supreme Court to End E-Commerce?

So sometime last month, President Trump attacked Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos for his predatory online business practices in regards to how e-commerce has been putting shopping malls and retail chains such as Toys R Us and Kmart out of business which has now led toward a U.S. Supreme Court case determining whether or not If there should be an online sales tax to dissuade people from shopping online in a last-ditch effort to save shopping malls, retail chains, local game stores, and small businesses.

Trump's solution? Defund the U.S. Postal Service even though it's protected by the U.S. Constitution. Because why go through the hassle of establishing a sales tax on online goods when you can get rid of the one service that makes e-commerce possible? He doesn't care about the South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc. case this June which If ruled in favor of South Dakota will make online shopping too expensive and less lucrative for those who now only have one way to shop.

So you're probably wondering how this all relates to the Online Singles Market for Trading Card Games / Collectible Card Games. If President Trump or SCOTUS gets their way with e-commerce becoming too expensive from online sellers being forced to overcharge their products due to being required by law to collect sales taxes nationwide with tax rates varying by state, city, and county; there would be less people buying online card singles to help complete their decks because they know their LGS has a hard time carrying them.

The fact of the matter is that the LGS isn't going to go back to the way it was before e-commerce exploded when we still had pricing guides with Scrye Magazine and InQuest Gamer. E-commerce has made it to where people are no longer obligated to play the booster box lottery anymore where all the proceeds they end up saving for themselves could've went to help keep their LGS from closing it's doors for good. This isn't going to persuade online sellers to sell their cards at local game stores when it's actually more profitable for them online.

Articles related to topic:

You make a good point, but I feel like (as with everything with President Babyhands) it is all going to amount to nothing, he is more than likely going to be impeached/imprisoned within a year so he is just desperately trying to distract everyone from the Mueller investigation as best he can.

Sorry to get political on here but I feel it is relevant to the topic.

19 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

You make a good point, but I feel like (as with everything with President Babyhands) it is all going to amount to nothing, he is more than likely going to be impeached/imprisoned within a year so he is just desperately trying to distract everyone from the Mueller investigation as best he can.

Sorry to get political on here but I feel it is relevant to the topic.

A big issue with this is that we can't be sure what actions in this are Trumps' own, and which are the actions of his party that he parrots without necessarily understanding. At the end of the day, the dude is a fall guy that his party is very good at playing. Beyond that, his impeachment may not actually be a win when we consider who would likely replace him in the White House.

Ultimately, I don't think America has an easy way out of this. Your system has put safe-guards in place that pretty much mean that when things get bad, they can't easily get remedied. But hey, if it helps, Toby Abbot right fucked Australia, and then proceeded to actually elect Malcolm Turnbull. So we had one politician who utterly fucked us (who was basically our Trump, seriously listen to the dude's press conferences), then another who has no plans or intention to fix the problems of the former.

I feel as though President Trump only played a minor role in this situation when more than 40 states in the U.S. have already asked the U.S. Supreme Court to consider overruling the Quill decision since they're losing billions of dollars in tax revenue each year, requiring cuts to critical government programs while the losses compound as online shopping grows. What they don't understand is that for online retailers the complexity and expense of collecting taxes nationwide is more than likely to drive them out of business as it's become increasingly difficult for both business models to play by the same set of rules.

States generally require consumers who weren't charged sales tax on a purchase to pay it themselves, often through self-reporting on their income tax returns. But states have found that only about 1-2% actually pay. States would capture more of that tax If out-of-state sellers had to collect it, and states say software has made sales collection tax simple. Out-of-state sellers disagree, calling it costly and extraordinarily complex. Sure you could say that this situation escalated all because Trump had a personal vendetta against Bezos in an attempt to kill the Washington Post and help Trump's donors, however the more I've looked into this there's a lot more to it than that.