sh0ryu_repp4

The Legendary Flute

So we need to talk about this card:

https://shop.tcgplayer.com/dragon-ball-super-ccg/colossal-warfare/the-legendary-flute?xid=idd6f991d986b4884b3bfbb805b572251

I think this card, along with Shugesh and Mecha Frieza, really highlight how abysmal Bandai's testing team is. How in the world do they keep letting cards like these make it to print?

On the nose Flute may not seem like a big deal, but in reality it further perpetuates the absolute dominance of the Set 3 SS3 Goku Leader and further pushes games ending by Turn 2/3.

Here is how Flute can work:

Turn 2

Use SS3 Effect - You now have 2 energy, 6 life, and are -1 cards in hand.

Play Intensifying Power Trunks (https://shop.tcgplayer.com/dragon-ball-super-ccg/colossal-warfare/intensifying-power-trunks?xid=i8a2e57c1bb3f4d349aab7fff21076871). You now have 5 life, +1 in hand and a 15K Critical beater.

Attack

Play Flute. Return Trunks and draw a card. You now are +1 card in hand

Play Trunks again. You are now at 4 life and +1 card in hand.

Awaken. +2 Cards.

Attack with leader and Trunks, +1 card in hand from leader auto

End turn and untap your energy.

In one turn you have awakened, attacked three times (2 of which are critical) and drawn SIX cards and have your energy open at the end of the turn. How in the bloody hell are you supposed to deal with that? Keep in mind you can do the same thing with cards like Saiyan Cabba as well. Your opponent can maybe defend themselves and completely empty their hand, or they can take it and (in the trunks example) only be up 1 card with ONE energy, two on your next turn. And this only requires two cards to do. Trunks and Flute. That is not hard to do in a game with crazy mulligan rules like this one.

This is nucking futs.

Thoughts?

On 7/6/2018 at 5:47 PM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

This is nucking futs.

Fantastic phrasing.

To be honest, this entire last set is just horribly thought through especially in regards to how it synergizes with the SS3 Goku Lead. For example, while I may hate the Swap archetype, there is something to be said about how INSANELY overpowered it can be when you focus on JUST the low-cost units.

You can a very similar set-up to what you're offering there with The Legendary Flute, only I'd argue slightly stronger (although you trade out the Criticals).

Working from your basic set-up, you can use the SS3 Leader Skill. 2 Energy, 6 Life, -1 in hand, the same as your set-up.

Bring out Bardock, the Progenitor. +1 to hand. Swing at the enemy, swap out to Scrambling Assault, Son Goten.

Son Goten swings, you check top 3 and add a card to hand. Other two cards go to bottom of deck. Another +1 to hand total.

Resummon Bardock, another life to hand (+3 total).

Awaken SS3 Goku BEFORE swinging with Bardock again. Also swing with him if you don't have Goten. Draw 2 from Awaken, and 1 from attack (+6 total, I believe).

Swing with Bardock, swap out to another Goten (or a Dependable Dynasty, Son Goku in lieu of that, for the extra power).

Swing Goten for another + 1 (+7 total).

That's 5 swings at at least 10k turn 2, giving you a +7 in hand and 2 units left on the board who each give you a +1 when they swing.

Your opponent gets the pluses from their life, I will grant. But they're also only on 2 energy, and you still easily have the hand advantage. And if they didn't drop cards to stop at least SOME of your attacks, they are at a HUGE disadvantage. Regardless on if this is stronger than the Legendary Flute + Intensifying Power, Trunks combo or not is irrelevant, that is straight up unreasonable and unacceptable.

EDIT: AND LET'S NOT GO FORGETTING THAT YOU CAN RUN SUCCESSOR OF HOPE AT 4 AS WELL, AND SEARCH YOUR COMBO PIECES FOR LITERALLY NO ENERGY COST. BECAUSE THIS DECK NEEDED TO BE MORE CONSISTENT AND FASTER.

WHO THE FUCK CAME UP WITH THIS.

15 hours ago, Denithan said:

Fantastic phrasing.

Thanks lol

But you are absolutely right about this, I just found out about the Bardock/Goten  shenanigans this weekend. Add to the fact you can cheat out the Bardock ape promo for a turn 2 double strike 20K beat stick, PLUS you can march on turn 3 (if the game even makes it that long) for extra board presence and card draw.

I don't mind aggro decks, even fast ones, but what really kills me about this is that it automatically makes about 70/80% of the leader pool completely unplayable. You can't play Androids this meta. You can't play Cell this meta, you can't play ANYTHING that doesn't generate 5+ actions on Turn 2. It is just bad game design, and the incompetence of Bandai's testing team continues to amaze.