Stryyder

MetaX set 5 revealed - is it a new IP?

And the answer: NOPE!

Just 2 days from the anniversary of the game's release and they have revealed the IP for Set 5.

to recap for those that lost interest the first four sets were: Justice League, Green Lanturn, Attack on Titan and Batman.  In other words, 3 DC Comics sets and 1 anime title.

Well, for set 5, surprise of surprises!  We're going BACK into the DC Universe except in this case in a stupid way.  This new IP has been getting flack from a huge group of the fandom but has experienced a bit of a renaissance in the past few weeks with a movie release that has seen pretty favorable reviews.  Yes we're talkin Teen Titans Go.

granted I dropped he game in set 1 because literally NO ONE played it anywhere near me, but come ON.  A year later and we're still waiting not only for OP, but for more than ONE foray into the game's premise of cross IP play.

6 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

For the love of Kami, Panini let go of DC so VS. can have it and put it in a game people actually play. 

Vs System was too good for this world and deserved to die after Shift.

21 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

Vs System was too good for this world and deserved to die after Shift.

I'm enjoying the reboot so far and think they did great making it an lcg. 

23 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

OH MY GOD

IS THIS REAL

I... I don't know what to say... I am stuck in a state of amusement, bewilderment, anger, and sadness...

What in the actual hell Panini...

TTG was probably the only IP they could get at this point. 

26 minutes ago, Majin Goo said:

TTG was probably the only IP they could get at this point. 

Honest to god, if they came into this card game with just the DC IP and put it forward as this big multi-IP crossover game, than someone needs to get fired. You do not, in any market, propose such a large endeavor (REGARDLESS of how much PR it may net you) without already having the mechanisms to pull it off.

On a side, I've never actually touched VS System (or even heard of it prior to this forum). By chance, could I get your thoughts on how intuitive it is to play?

6 hours ago, Denithan said:

Honest to god, if they came into this card game with just the DC IP and put it forward as this big multi-IP crossover game, than someone needs to get fired. You do not, in any market, propose such a large endeavor (REGARDLESS of how much PR it may net you) without already having the mechanisms to pull it off.

On a side, I've never actually touched VS System (or even heard of it prior to this forum). By chance, could I get your thoughts on how intuitive it is to play?

I can only speak for the current incarnation (LCG) of the game as I never played it as a TCG. Learning the game took me a few minutes. My first set was the Aliens set and the rule-book was well done in my opinion. Took just a few minutes to read the game play section and start playing. If I ran into something specific I usually found in it in the rule book for the set the card came from. Which means they took the time to forward clarify. You also get a play set of everything so each set is a one of buy. 

Most rulings are what I would consider intuitive and straightforward. Essentially, they're rulings are either based off card text, rule-book, or precedence. Not the shit some companies, who will remain nameless but they know who they are, would do, such as making a ruling completely out of their ass and rework the English language to fix something broken. If something is broke they errata or ban it and they're not afraid to do it to preserve a fair tournament environment.

Themes are released fleshed out which is nice and while I don't go to any events at this time I keep up with the community and most tournaments seem incredibly varied and people seem to play what they love. Since themes are better fleshed out more than most games I've played it seems like you'd still have fun even if you're just going 5-2 or 4-3. The community really stands out and everyone seems awesome, I haven't encountered a single troll in the Facebook group yet. Some joking around with friends but everyone seems to genuinely love the game and it shows. We also received hints that we might be getting a Buffy the Vampire Slayer set. Hoping that pans out.

Now on to the recent meat and potatoes. They recently did their first rotation and at first it was a culture shock but now it makes sense after implementation. They've been releasing comic book based cards. Recently they released their first live based cards featuring the Marvel Movies. The rotation works like this. Comic book cards can't mix with live action cards. At first this shocked people but it actually worked out. The one set has enough creep to put it on par with comic book decks featuring all of the resources they already have. This allows someone to drop in new to the game and have a very cheap entry while being competitive. As more Live sets come out the Comic sets will receive support so they stay on par and don't feel the creep. So far I've seen few if any complaints about this implementation and I'm hoping it pans out in the long run. 

I basically just buy each set and build the starter decks that are listed in the rule book. I have a bunch of starter theme based decks I keep around and just play with people for fun. Game takes 5 minutes to teach to someone. 

I think the part I like most about the rotation is that you essentially don't lose what you've got. The current live set would be broken given its creep if it had access to the comic cards so a separation was needed to keep development simple, but if really don't want too, you don't have to stop playing the decks you love. Even if they eventually stop being competitive.