Sign in to follow this  
Card Slinger J

Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro Partners with Amazon

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/experimentation-2018-09-21

Amazon officially announced that they're cutting 37.5% MSRP on all new Magic booster boxes to $89.40. Since they're going toward a Direct-to-Consumer model, you probably don't think it's a bad thing since Amazon's been selling products directly to people for years. However when you buy on Amazon right now and for the last 10 years you bought Magic product from Local Game Stores across the country, they all listed their extra product on Amazon, eBay, or TCGPlayer in an attempt to liquidate and sell the remaining product they have to recoup their capital. Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro stepped in and said that we aren't allowed to do that anymore.

So for those who own a Local Game Store or are a staff member at said store should not be paying more than $89.40 MSRP though it's more than likely that Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro is going to contact Amazon to try to raise that number. So regardless of the Expected Value (EV) of individual cards, $89 to $92 a box is the new MSRP for all Standard Magic boosters moving forward. So the next time you walk into your Local Game Store be sure to tell the owners and staff members that their price on Standard Magic boosters needs to be below the average MSRP. Doesn't matter If they aren't able to make money to keep the lights on or that they're unable to pay $1 thousand for overhead, that's their problem not Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro's.

So when these Local Game Stores are paying $4 thousand a month on overhead or even $8 thousand a month depending on the employees, they're only allowed to make $5 a booster box at the most and If they have to sell online then they're required to lose 10-20% of their income as a penalty for buying too much product and it's their fault. So go ahead tell them that it's your fault for ripping them off by convincing them to match their MSRP with Amazon's to ensure that these Local Game Stores won't be around in 12 months by helping them go bankrupt. I wouldn't be surprised If other Trading Card Game / Collectible Card Game companies started following suit by partnering with Amazon as well.

Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro asks: "How come you're not buying our Magic products after we partnered up with Amazon?"
Consumer replies: "Well I don't have a place to play Magic as a way to hang out and socialize with my friends."
Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro replies back: "Sucks to be you I guess."