Sign in to follow this  
Jarrett

Left the game? Now's a great time to come back!

Set 5 is looking like a very diverse metagame with lots of viable decks. SSJ3 Goku was banned. If you were on the fence of starting up, or haven't played in awhile, now's a great time to get into the game.

I never really left the scene, but have a lot of different deck ideas I want to test out since a lot of interesting cards are making their way to us in set 5. Dende and Kami are very welcome additions to prevent from getting overrun, though I think Janemba is going to make for an interesting deck.

I actually took your advice and decided to give the game a go again on OCTGN.

And honestly, I enjoyed it. I built myself up a World Tournament (Announcer) deck, and I love the structure of the deck and the interaction between the paired cards (also, the huge Turn 3, Turn 5 and Turn 6). I find that this kind of deck design is actually really helpful to the game, though I won't lie, I do wish there were other World Tournament Leaders who do as much for the deck as Announcer does (like giving Red the ability to recharge their energy a little bit to make-up for the fairly steep Red WT costs). Still though, this was a good thing to see.

Wish is a weird one imo, and one I think that is massively underpowered in its current format. While I understand that they can awaken early, and things like the Shenron Leader is actually quite fast with gathering DBs and Awakening, the others all feel a little slow at the moment. This might be a non-issue once we get some more varied Dragon Ball effects in the game, and a bit more variety in their support, but yeah...
Add on to that the fact that if you get desperately unlucky, you may simply be unable to gather the Dragon Balls needed to awaken. Then, because of how their skills are set-up, they feel like a modification on the Teen Gohan Leader. You get one big swing, and then you most likely lose because your Leader is un-awakened and a dead card.

Janemba is fun. Gogeta is fun, too. My friend and I tried out a few variants of each against each-other (I played mostly Janemba, he played mostly Gogeta).
If you wanna build a dedicated-Janemba deck, it's honestly kind of weird. He's got a really strong loop that you can drop turn 3 without too much trouble, and then you get continuous Critical Attacks each turn. The main downside to him is that he lacks the same strong finishers as Gogeta has, and as a result, you kind of rely on either generic Blue Cards, or Black Finishing cards (or another off-colour finisher if you mix colours). Personally, I went for the 5 cost Shenron who gives another unit Triple Strike since this makes my Critical Loop combos SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous while filling my hand (and thanks to Dimension Magic, I'm not too worried about saving energy for my defense). I would probably recommend against the mill strategy though, and say to ditch all the Janemba cards related to the Mill. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept behind the deck, and I think it has a lot of potential with more support, but in its current format, I mostly think it's like Hirudegarn. Cool on paper, but ultimately inefficient and ineffective.

Gogeta is a deck that I actually think can be top-tier without too much outside support. Soul Punisher honestly makes him brutal, and his Leader Skill (the starter deck one) makes him a BEAST to defend against. Even the most defensive decks cannot hold him out for long, so they have to instead focus on out-speeding. Veku is such a freakishly good card that I actually think he's a 4-of in non-Gogeta decks depending on your build (my favorite one is throwing in the Veku Engine to the Red Vegito Leader). All 3 Gogetas are incredibly good, although the Ultimate is one that'll probably be lacking for you by the time you get the Energy, the cards to Union, and him in your hand without any searcher. There is already so much Blue Goku/Vegeta interactions as well that the Gogeta deck just kind of naturally carries on from the Vegito Blue deck (which, you can easily tech in a couple of Vegitos if you're going for a more swarm-centric strategy).
Ultimately, I think Gogeta is the better of the two decks with a lot of huge plusses in hand advantage and field advantage, and some VERY strong finishers. So, once the Starter Deck comes out, if you're looking for a really cheap but still respectively competitive deck, go ahead and grab him.

In terms of the Leaders, they both have A strong, generic Leaders (Knockout Strike and Supreme Evil). And whats more is that the Gogeta Main Deck is NOT Leader-locked, so if you feel Janemba is your preferred leader with his anti-Counter mechanic, you can rock him and go for what is one of the biggest dick moves with the 7 cost Gogeta. Relentless Speed Janemba is also a really good leader if you'd rather the extra defense, but I personally prefer the offense and think that one will do better in a tournament environment.

Friza's Army is also an INCREDIBLY strong deck nowadays, with a lot of tools and speed at it's disposal. In a lot of ways, it kind of reminds me of the current A18 deck, and how much support and power it has slowly built up over time. Honestly, I really wish we'd see a lot more of the older leaders get supported in this same way. Especially ones that straight up lack the same competitive footholds  as Blue Vegeta (for example, give Beerus a dedicated deck that's specific to his leader that ramps up energy a lot faster to try and get to that 16 Energy Win Con [with additions put into place so he can't go too hard on finishers]). That one was a good something to see.

Goten is insane and a really good addition to the Goku's Lineage deck. Have some fun with that.

There are a lot of whiffs in the game still, a lot of decks that just lack the support needed to really be playable, or fun. Those are still super-disappointing, and I kind of wish they'd spend less time throwing new shit into the game, and instead focus a bit more on supporting those guys. But as I said, I'm also finding decks like Announcer and Janemba to be incredibly fun.

Oh, and Full-Size Power Son Goku is fucking nuts. He might not have much in specific support, but that Quadruple Strike and anti-Counter mechanic is god damn nuts, and you can awaken REALLY quickly when played in combination with a Goku's Lineage deck. Honestly, I've been experimenting around with it a lot myself, and my current question is pretty simply just; What Green cards are even worth focusing on with him, or should I just play him completely off-color?