So in MTG the alter community is huge.  Especially with casual players, but everyone loves them.  They range from foil alters to full-art painted alters, borderless, etc...  if you want examples check out reddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/mtgaltered/

Anyway,

I wanted to try this with DBZ.  

http://imgur.com/a/ULwJO

My attempt at some alters. The Promo Kamehameha and red back kick were test cards. The red mastery is a piss-poor attempt at 3D. The foil card that backs it is a MTG card I scrubbed clean - those are easier to alter haha. Used acitone, it really only takes the light ink. The dark ink takes some scrubbing and the colored borders don't come off with it. they scratch off, but it damages the foil underneath. Destroyed a gohan lv3 rainbow in the process and learned that those can't be altered. They are a plastic printing with a foil sticker between the cardboard. Thoughts?

I did a lot of alters in mtg, but mine are all acrylic paint extended borders. I ironically did some dbz art on a few ( Brave the Elements as Vegeta doing the final flash). I've been meaning to test the waters in this game too. I just think extended borders wouldn't be as cool. I'm thinking dbz abridged alters like ghost Nappa.

I did a lot of alters in mtg, but mine are all acrylic paint extended borders. I ironically did some dbz art on a few ( Brave the Elements as Vegeta doing the final flash). I've been meaning to test the waters in this game too. I just think extended borders wouldn't be as cool. I'm thinking dbz abridged alters like ghost Nappa.

extended borders on some things might be neat - but on most... no.

I think on mastery it would be boss.  I would by a set of masterys that were extended.

Snow sucks.  :angry: I was going to grab a co-worker / friend of mine and take him to learn to play DBZ for the tournament today, but there is no way I was driving more than the mile to the store.

So I am missing it, what did you do to the Kamehameha, Solar Flare and Blue Protective Mastery?

Kamehameha was a test to see if I could do it. Mastery had some parts where I took the ink off and used to be white, it's subtle. Solar flare had all the white taken off

What are you using on the foils to do it? I did an alter of something into a proxy Mox Emerald with a Metroid as the Emerald waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, and used rubbing alcohol.

Most alternate art will change the thickness of cards and that takes away their tournament viability. Mastered and mp levels don't matter though. As long as the text is readable it shouldn't be a problem.

I dunno about other games but I do know that if you use sleeves and check with a TO most of the time (and if the artist is good at painting or whatever) they are okay with it or will allow you to proxy the card.  The folks on facebook are having a big stink over this subject now on the retro page.  I don't understand the issue.  I've also been using altered cards in MTG for along time now so that might be why I don't see it.

I dunno about other games but I do know that if you use sleeves and check with a TO most of the time (and if the artist is good at painting or whatever) they are okay with it or will allow you to proxy the card.  The folks on facebook are having a big stink over this subject now on the retro page.  I don't understand the issue.  I've also been using altered cards in MTG for along time now so that might be why I don't see it.

I have not played MTG in over 15 years and never played with anything other than crap decks built with donated commons, but I'm assuming you can only proxy things like Lands right?  If not, do you have to prove you own the actual cards?  If not what would there be to stop someone (from a DBZ stand point) to cloning super expensive cards without owning them.  Even in DBZ if you prove you own the cards, I could borrow my buddies expensive card, show the judge my fake and say "oh yeah I have the real deal" then give my buddy back his real one and be on my way.  

I have not played MTG in over 15 years and never played with anything other than crap decks built with donated commons, but I'm assuming you can only proxy things like Lands right?  If not, do you have to prove you own the actual cards?  If not what would there be to stop someone (from a DBZ stand point) to cloning super expensive cards without owning them.  Even in DBZ if you prove you own the cards, I could borrow my buddies expensive card, show the judge my fake and say "oh yeah I have the real deal" then give my buddy back his real one and be on my way.  

By proxies I mean sometimes the TO supplies a replacement card (such as with star city games they have stamped cards to know it's theirs).  It depends really...

Like make people paint full art extended borders on cards - and sometimes the TOs allow it, sometimes they don't.  So long as it is a real card often times they will give you an unaltered version.  People clone cards all the time - MTG just had a HUGE issue with some chinese folks printing very detailed fakes and selling them for half price on the market.  They got shut down.  The card has to be legit and represent what it is.  If you play with a fake you should get banned - such as the scenario you posted.  This is wh deck checks are a thing too.  If for example you have a REAL sphere that you drew on - and the TO doesn't allow it the might let you use an alternate one - which they call a proxy.

Same word, two different things.

I'm working on a abacus mastery with ten beads for power, and five beads for anger.

Proxies for alternate art cards is kind of a funny thing, depending on what card it is... like in this, the only cards that you would want to do alt / extended art for, would be either really valuable, so you probably wouldn't want to do anything to them, or just random cards, in which case you wouldn't care that much about making an alt / extended art of it anyway, unless it was just really neat.

I get not wanting to ruin altered art cards, but you might as well just play regular ones instead of the altered ones if you have to proxy it for fear of destroying it, anyway.

Most alternate art will change the thickness of cards and that takes away their tournament viability. Mastered and mp levels don't matter though. As long as the text is readable it shouldn't be a problem.

Sweet. I'm about to put these graphic design skills to work then. I figured it would be an issue with decked cards but I didn't see a reason why I couldn't get my own goku art

I would just Photoshop in art for my MPs that better fit their cards IMO. I'd print it on regular paper and place it in the same sleeve. The thickness wouldn't matter, because the card never enters the deck. I don't see how it could ever be a problem. Like trunks. Dude's artwork SUCKS. Does him no justice. I'd just alter that.