Stryyder

Set 3 Previews Thread

First Previews:

https://paniniamericadbz.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/card-of-the-week-turles-touches-down/

DBZ Fanatics FB Group - 6-17-15

Garlic Jr Ally

Villains Only (INF): The first attack performed by each player in combat cannot have its damage modified.

http://www.nextlevelz.com/home/set-3-previews-day-1

Turles looks decent. His level one starts out solidly in C which is a very good thing. Normally I hate constant combat powers that give a power stage buff, but I know from facing Nappa that the no endurance effect is insane. Doing an extra stage or two from being in C, plus having AT+2 on all attacks to start is like forcing your opponent to fight Nappa's level 4 right at the start of the game. That is a scary prospect.

Turles' level 2 is an energy attack which deals power stages which is pretty bad. The crit effect is good vs allies in theory, but a lot of Ginyu players are just going to pay three stages off one of their allies. I think the level 2 will be a lot better in Red since you can lower your MP a level, while you know your opponent cannot block, and then get three free anger to level back up. That makes cards like Red Overpower, and Red Controlled Attack a little more worthwhile.

Turles' level 3 is another version of Nappa 4 with higher stages. The ability to shut down recycling is actually really freaking epic. Combined with the Black Mastery you can banish 5 cards per turn. :D

Turles' level 4 is just fantastic. It is such a great opening attack. In a black deck you can banish all of your opponent's blocks and then go in, knowing that they will never have the stages to pay for an energy attack, since they fail to block your attack every combat. :D

The named cards could be better though. What is the point of gaining a level outside of combat? I want to pop a level during combat so that I can surprise my opponent with the level four power. An energy attack that does five life cards? Big deal.

Turles looks decent. His level one starts out solidly in C which is a very good thing. Normally I hate constant combat powers that give a power stage buff, but I know from facing Nappa that the no endurance effect is insane. Doing an extra stage or two from being in C, plus having AT+2 on all attacks to start is like forcing your opponent to fight Nappa's level 4 right at the start of the game. That is a scary prospect.

Turles' level 2 is an energy attack which deals power stages which is pretty bad. The crit effect is good vs allies in theory, but a lot of Ginyu players are just going to pay three stages off one of their allies. I think the level 2 will be a lot better in Red since you can lower your MP a level, while you know your opponent cannot block, and then get three free anger to level back up. That makes cards like Red Overpower, and Red Controlled Attack a little more worthwhile.

Turles' level 3 is another version of Nappa 4 with higher stages. The ability to shut down recycling is actually really freaking epic. Combined with the Black Mastery you can banish 5 cards per turn. :D

Turles' level 4 is just fantastic. It is such a great opening attack. In a black deck you can banish all of your opponent's blocks and then go in, knowing that they will never have the stages to pay for an energy attack, since they fail to block your attack every combat. :D

The named cards could be better though. What is the point of gaining a level outside of combat? I want to pop a level during combat so that I can surprise my opponent with the level four power. An energy attack that does five life cards? Big deal.

LV 1 is a little better than Nappa LV 4 in that energies actually get the unpreventable boost.

LV 2 should have stated that his MP needs to pay the stages.

LV 3 very solid

LV 4 strange that it kills your endurance and now Blue Rest works on you. But very solid power.

The fruit would be a lot better if you didn't have to use it at the start of your planning stage. You can't use it the turn you put it into play. I like the energy. It's almost for sure going to do critical damage. If not, two energies.

Level 1 is nice.

Level 2's attack should've just been free if it was going to deal stages. Your opponent pays is pretty lame. should've just let you choose between the anger/critical or having your opponent's mp lose three stages. That's essentially an eight stage attack, but physicals need to hit hard and Saiyan already has an energy that does eight stages so it's already in the game. At the very least it should've said opponent's MP.

3 seems fun.

4 is pretty good too. Nice to see that it's not useless if they're at 0. Punishes cards that power up to full. That said, I don't like that the endurance part is double-edged... Nappa doesn't do that, so why this guy? I know Nappa has a requirement but it's not too hard to fulfill it.

I like Turles' Fruit. Only his 2 and 4 have an attack so leveling off combat isn't a big deal unless you needed the stages. I certainly wish Sword Stance (with some retooling) worked out of combat so it wasn't a -1 for that combat. "Your planning step" is more restrictive than it should be. Any planning step would've been fine.

Energy Ring is okay, but works against his powers. Turles is all about your opponent being unable to prevent damage, but to get the most out of the effect you need your opponent to prevent damage... Getting to use it again is only usable on 2 or if you didn't use 4 yet.

I wish Sagacious Strike had more damage as I'm hoping some of the physicals this set will have. Wouldn't be too strong if it was +5, would it?

Not too bad, but nothing I'm too excited for. Turles is no game changer by any means unless there are more cards that synergize with him. At face value he's about on par with the set 2 MPs and that's not what the game needs right now.

I would have thought so too, until I had a Nappa player actually reach level four and deal insane amounts of damage. Shutting down your opponent's endurance is like doing +2 damage with every attack. It gets worse with every buff too. Black Turles does +3/+1 with no endurance. That's as good as a +3/+3 buff to all attacks as far as I'm concerned.

The problem with the endurance shut off is that IF they continue the trend of printing less endurance, then it becomes a tangible benefit less often.  Set 1 had metric fuck tons of endurance, but Set 2 had barely any at all.  If this is another low endurance set, and it has cards that replace older cards with endurance, then you might see where I'm going with this.  Set 1 had to have tons of endurance otherwise the set would need to be wasted with tons of blocks (or games would have been pretty short quick slug fests).  Now as more blocks are made, they have less need for designing endurance.

Posted my thoughts on Turles in the other thread. I agree with Edison.

Couple of side notes on rarity.

All of his levels are Uncommon. Odds of pulling a 1-4 in sealed?

His named cards are both Rare.

Probably done to balance drafting and sealed events.

I cant really judge the lack of an attack on lvl 1 until playtesting but i wanted attacks on level 1 since i assume there is not much to salavge the MPs without one that are already in the game.

DAT VILLIAN CARD THO

If Turles has Orange Energy Phasing Drill in play then he can use its effects with his named card to avoid dealing critical damage so that he may use the attack again. Hopefully more cards in set 3 allow you to reduce your damage for effects and thus give Turles more ways to use his attack twice.

Using Battle Pausing when on Turles level 4 would be interesting as it sets up his level 4 attack to do a lot of damage, regardless of what your opponents power level is.

People are saying how Turles is meh and won't change the meta, but we haven't seen very much of this set and can't really tell if Panini will make more cards that make him more useful.

Turles is what Gohan should have been. Its very similar in empowering thematics, but it actually helps an aggressive form of Red gain Critical Damage by neutering Endurance.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, Red doesn't have good enough Physicals to help him, yet.

Though why would you play Red Turles? Still inferior to the big 3.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, Red doesn't have good enough Physicals to help him, yet.

They don't?  So they didn't get any good physicals in set 3?  I would love to know what Red got in set 3.  Please enlighten me.

Turles is so bad. I thought they learned from Set 1 that MPs with attacks on lvl 1 were the way to go, but I guess not...

Turles' Fruit is fucking the worst card they previewed by far. It's easily the worst "go up a level" card in the game, even worse than It's Over 9000! because at least IO9k! you can still go into combat. Draw into Turles' Fruit on defense... somehow, for some bizarre reason, keep it, play it, and then you have to wait for your NEXT turn to level. P U. What a stinker.

Sagacious Strike is A+ though, they should have just shown that.

Turles is so bad. I thought they learned from Set 1 that MPs with attacks on lvl 1 were the way to go, but I guess not...

Turles' Fruit is fucking the worst card they previewed by far. It's easily the worst "go up a level" card in the game, even worse than It's Over 9000! because at least IO9k! you can still go into combat. Draw into Turles' Fruit on defense... somehow, for some bizarre reason, keep it, play it, and then you have to wait for your NEXT turn to level. P U. What a stinker.

Sagacious Strike is A+ though, they should have just shown that.

All other jump cards are -1 to your hand and can be sphered. this is the best jump card.

You can't enter combat though man. That's terrible. He's clearly a physical beats personality (who is not exactly sure why he's physical beats on lvl 2 & 4) so why in the world would I ever want to skip combat for an entire turn? Especially if you come off a turn where you're holding a card, and draw three? Oh goodie, I get to level and... discard three!! YAY!

He is good with physicals obviously i just assumed giving an MP that makes so you cant endure the ability to have all his attack do +x life cards would be to much and made it stages. Skipping combat is meh, i would hope if they do plan to make physical good its not some stupid suicide version.