FightOwensFight

Now that it's out, what will it be?

Hi everyone, now that Perfection is out and people are beginning to bust open their product, I just thought it'd be interesting to start a thread where we can discuss our thoughts regarding the set post-release, and any ideas, combos, or decks that you may be working on now that the cards are in-hand.

Personally, I think this set is the best since the Premier Set, and I was excited to get my boxes yesterday (somehow I got lucky enough to have the day off). After opening 3 boxes and 6 packs, I got a full set of Cell and just finished picking off a few single cards I needed. As for my ideas, I really want to mess around with Saiyan style. Saiyan Empowered Cell seems like a monster, but I also want to try a Saiyan Sword based deck with Trunks. I'm also looking at Blue Protective and Orange Adaptive variants of Yamcha, Black Perceptive Tenshinhan, Black Devious Turles, Red Ruthless 16, Red Enraged Roshi, and Blue Tag Team Trunks.

What are all of you looking to build and try out? Let the discussion begin!

I built a Saiyan Empowered Cell and an Adaptive Yamcha and I am liking them so far.  Working on getting some of the wrinkles ironed out but I like the play style of the Yamcha because it plays like an Adaptive Krillin I played a little while back.  I was going to build an Android 16 deck but I'm not sure what mastery I want to try first with him, maybe Adept or Ruthless.

I played Blue Yamcha against Saiyan Cell and he got to level 3 on the first combat.  He got Rescue attached and was able to loop Overwhelming Power every turn to both crit me and clear my board.  He looped his level 4 and 3 power over and over again to rape my discard pile.  

Yamcha still won.  I want everyone to take that in.  Yamcha still won...

Cell needs a rejuvenation tool to be good.  Don't play him in Red I learned.

And Yamcha has the best cards in the game + playable personality powers.  Our blue build is doing very well.  Also, what limited playability physical had, stands no chance vs Yamcha.  Just have to test Yamcha vs Black Krillin to confirm its playability.

Cell needs a rejuvenation tool to be good.  Don't play him in Red I learned.

And Yamcha has the best cards in the game + playable personality powers.  Our blue build is doing very well.  Also, what limited playability physical had, stands no chance vs Yamcha.  Just have to test Yamcha vs Black Krillin to confirm its playability.

Red Cell was the first I built, and its abysmal.  I built red first simply because I had zero Cell's Style, and Red is the only style that doesn't want to run it (due to restriction).  Some how not only did Orange Yamcha manage to get to level 3 before Cell it also beat him down twice.  Even in one game where I had him Restriction'd, a six card hand, and hit a Tandem Blast.  Yamcha still won.  Similar to Matt's experience.  

Red Cell was the first I built, and its abysmal.  I built red first simply because I had zero Cell's Style, and Red is the only style that doesn't want to run it (due to restriction).  Some how not only did Orange Yamcha manage to get to level 3 before Cell it also beat him down twice.  Even in one game where I had him Restriction'd, a six card hand, and hit a Tandem Blast.  Yamcha still won.  Similar to Matt's experience.  

I built Red Cell as well because I realized I had no Saiyan set 1 starter cards.  Agreed on it being terrible, and it is honestly ridiculous to keep up with Yamcha, Lord of Tempo.  His ability to control when combat is and is not happening, as well as every level being value town, is overwhelming.

I still think Cell is good, but he really can't be jammed into just any style like many were predicting.  

Starting the game with a near useless lv. 1, just drawing three cards a turning waiting for the right combination of them to randomly appear while Yamcha drops set ups, drills, and combat enders the whole time.

• Cell didn't draw an energy block?  Then he can't declare since he won't hit anything this turn.
  • Didn't draw a Restriction?  Don't bother since Yamcha will Assistance you.
  • You drew a Tandem Blast?  Too bad you haven't been able to land anything significant to level up or even have anger to trigger it.  

So on and so on.  That's how my games went.  And I honestly don't see any other style doing any differently.  

But there's one thing that probably still has a decent chance vs. Yamcha flavors.

Black Krillin

The only thing that will give Yamcha a run will likely be some other type of stasis/tempo deck.  I want to start on Roshi but I need another Back Kick and two more Slumber.

I love my Black Roshi Ball deck and his Named cards are fantastic, but his Setup slows the game down so much it makes pre-Kai DBZ seem like a 26-episode sprint.

I had to play it smart but i beat an orange Yamcha with Blue 17. I also have found black Perceptive Tien to be a blast, though i fear in the big meta it'll get crushed.

I had to play it smart but i beat an orange Yamcha with Blue 17. I also have found black Perceptive Tien to be a blast, though i fear in the big meta it'll get crushed.

did you try 17 with eating+transportation? 2 card draws for every van seems pretty powerful.

I played Blue Yamcha against Saiyan Cell and he got to level 3 on the first combat. He got Rescue attached and was able to loop Overwhelming Power every turn to both crit me and clear my board. He looped his level 4 and 3 power over and over again to rape my discard pile.

Yamcha still won. I want everyone to take that in. Yamcha still won...

Funny I play Saiyan cell I think it's the best style for him especially with the addition of overwhelming.. Haven't played yamcha yet but everything else I played with cell was level 3-4 in one combat and rescue looping domination grabbing ki burst or overwhelming to shut everything down. Have had a lot of success but like I said haven't faced yamcha. Blue protective mastery? Curious on how it is built tbh because all I can see yamcha in for me is orange or black.

My experience has been pretty similar to everyone here so far, but my testing has been limited. I feel like Orange Yamcha is slightly stronger than Blue Yamcha, and I've been doing pretty well with my Black Roshi. We're still playing more sealed in my neck of the woods this weekend, so I'm looking forward to diving into real testing after that.

I know I'm building something with Tien.  

Just made Orange P-Beats Trunks and looking for stuff to improve Orange 18. 

Played against Yamcha blue today at a small local.  He is good, not as good as base set Ginyu or Namikian.  People just love to spout how broken something is I guess.

Don't know what to put Roshi or 16 in yet though.

Honestly man the blue yamcha u played just might not have been good. Build black perceptive tien going off with tri beam

Pesky barrages and hitting double team off it has just been insane (maybe not meta tier but def can dish it out)

Honestly man the blue yamcha u played just might not have been good. Build black perceptive tien going off with tri beam

Pesky barrages and hitting double team off it has just been insane (maybe not meta tier but def can dish it out)

Nah, it was a good deck, played Yamcha like he is supposed to be played. Running in and out of combat with high energy beats. He won the tourney.  Then again (on the reverse of your point) how can anyone say they've played a real Yamcha deck yet at all?  Set's been out 2 days and people are still finding combos and counters.

Yeah, I think I will give Tien a try in black perceptive.  Thanks for the input. 

Yea I agree man was just trying to look at all angles. I'm still not sure which good blue energy attacks to add to blue yamcha and how to build it so I just figured it hasn't been completely tweaked and figured out. Gonna proxy the couple named cards of his I'm missing and test out some blue. Built black tien have 3 card spots I'm trying to figure out what would fit best but other than that I would say it's pretty solid. Had a problem where I left level 1 which wasn't the end of the world since I had already searched out all tri beams and pesky barrages so it was dead anyway but now I'm wondering if I'll be knocked off level 1 too early and just how detrimental it could be.

I can promise you that my Blue Yamcha is very very different than anyone elses, but honestly you could put Yamcha in any tempo based deck and you will beat any physical aggro 9 out of 10 games if not more.  Most Cell decks are physical aggro or omni-aggro and they will struggle in the match up.

Will Rampaging MPPV be more viable now, due to more native anger in Saiyan? From what I can tell we now have Rapid Fire with 1 anger on hit, Face Strike with and immediate 2 anger with the easily-mitigated lose-2-anger HIT effect, and the following cards with 1 immediate anger:

Saiyan Crunch

Saiyan Left Kick

Saiyan Spin Kick

Saiyan Overhead Flare

Saiyan Arm Catch

Saiyan Energy Deflection

Saiyan Supreme Block

Saiyan Energy Toss if you have high stages or Saiyan Discovery.

Saiyan Enraged