Sign in to follow this  
themrkunkel

Former Score Employee

I worked at Score in the Dragon Booster,Case Closed, Re-Z, Sonic X, Afterworld, Epic Battles, Inuyasha and Fruits Basket era. You probably don't know any of those games because it turns out releasing a million games cannibalizes your sales, confuses your player base and pisses off distributors.

I won 2 regionals, won 2 DBZ fanatics tournaments, top32 at 2002 nationals, top 64 at 2002 worlds and top 4 at 2003 worlds in the original DBZ. I won a regional and placed top 16 at 2004 worlds expanded for GT. 

I was credited for PTT/ South Kai for Android 14 Namekian. The only thing I did was modify a Namekian deck I saw Richie Williams and Tim Batow play. Dustin Morabito won Worlds 2003 with a version of that deck playing against Austin Ray who was playing a similar version as well, I played Broly Saiyan at that event and lost to Dustin in top 4. I played Namekian because it was worth more foil than a Roshi deck(you got a copy of your deck foil if you won), I believe Roshi was a more consistent deck however.

I had tried to help organize some old Z tournaments a couple years ago but no one could agree on the rules and what the power balance of the game should be. I strongly believe that the color wheel from Trunks/Android Saga is important to maintain for balance and gives each style the appropriate weakness. 

I also have Celiac Disease and have a lot of issues related to that preventing travel and impacting income.

I totally agree with your opinion on the color wheel.  The colors seemed pretty well defined in the Trunks/Androids era considering the tiny card pool.

I played the Epic Battles ccg for a bit when it first came out.  That game was super wonky.  I remember Alex from Street Fighter having the best starter deck by far.  The only store near me that sold it was a Blockbuster video (I think it was an exclusive to them?), compared to DBZ, which was sold EVERYWHERE.

I totally agree with your opinion on the color wheel.  The colors seemed pretty well defined in the Trunks/Androids era considering the tiny card pool.

I played the Epic Battles ccg for a bit when it first came out.  That game was super wonky.  I remember Alex from Street Fighter having the best starter deck by far.  The only store near me that sold it was a Blockbuster video (I think it was an exclusive to them?), compared to DBZ, which was sold EVERYWHERE.

it was exclusive

Afterworld was designed by Aik and Greg (He graduated from Dartmouth and got fired during the baseball purge before anyone would have met him). From my understanding it isn't being actually released they just have to fulfill some contract?

It is basically a war type game with cards, it was actually the only well done thing from that era imo because it didn't have an insane release schedule.

Epic Battles was not properly playtested and we just were making cards to get them out. I almost got fired for complaining about the exclusivity during an IRC AMA because I named the company that was causing that and I guess that broke an NDA I wasn't aware of. 

I was the only playtester left at the time, they had made me fire all the people working under me a few weeks before and David Eckhard had left to work at Upperdeck so I just didn't care anymore and was working on returning home to Ohio.

I had tried to help organize some old Z tournaments a couple years ago but no one could agree on the rules and what the power balance of the game should be. I strongly believe that the color wheel from Trunks/Android Saga is important to maintain for balance and gives each style the appropriate weakness. 

I would still be interested in doing this. I disagree with just about every single thing Retro has done to the game and don't want Retro to become the de facto old Z or legacy format if the playerbase starts to grow. Especially if there are cash tournaments or Panini prize support for legacy tournaments. 

Hm. For some reason I thought you had designed Afterworld. I say that I hope it does get released, but I suppose I don't actually care. Having it come back from the dead just to die again is definitely the most comedic outcome.

Word on the street was that whatever deal Blockbuster and Score made for Epic Battles, Score got tons of money out of it, somehow. 

If new Z does take off and a large crowd of players comes back, a strict "real cards only" format should be advantageous as people who don't already know about Retro will likely have no interest in using silly fan made cards/rules in any kind of competitive environment.

I playtested it a lot but I was never allowed to design something from scratch. I had to create the cards for Tekken set of Epic Battles which was a train wreck with no testers. I made some suggestions for the game and playtested and I may have been given some design credit but it was primarily Aik and Greg.  Score lost money on everything they did  around that time and whatever they made from blockbuster was not even close to the losses from Dragon Booster. I think Inu and Bleach may have made small profits but it really small revenue as well.

I unfortunately ran into a bunch of medical costs, mainly dental(3 fake teeth now lol) and had a job disappear because the company I was working for went bankrupt. Things are stable now and depending on how the new game does it may be possible to look at legacy, waiting for a chance to talk to Aik in more detail. I was not included at all on this remake so I don't really know how things are, I've only talked to people briefly and they don't want to break NDA, only thing I've heard is that I would really like it.

I would like to see a format where color wheel is restored and some of the strong cards that are no long broken either being unrestricted or not being rfgau. 

Yeah unfortunately I'm not really able to travel due to health and work so I've missed gencons, also not that interested in Retro but I'm glad they get high turnouts. I'm hoping to attend regionals and higher events next year i they have them for the new game tho.