How much do you care about Fan Z now?

How much do you care about Fan Z?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much do you care about Fan Z?

• SET 10 WHEN?!
    • Meh.
    • Don't care anymore.

1 hour ago, Mysterious Youth said:

Does it have more to do with too many staples/essentials within styles or lack of archetype cards? Because the way it is archetype cards give the already good cards within a style a direction to go which is how it should be. I definitely agree with your grievance though.

Partially, yes, you're 100% right, staples have a lot to do with this. No way of escaping Blue Betrayal, Red Energy Blast, ect, and that's fine. It really is. It's true of all games. But the archetype thing is far more nuanced than not enough support, as they spent a lot of time supporting them. They're just bad at doing it. This is the other topic I made. Very little of the support they made actually functioned, as timing was regularly botched so they didn't work, we had cards that you'd never want to use because they were made to give an 'instead' effect in place of straight synergy, they just made utterly useless filler crap or in the case of Red Enraged Mastery, gave it a shotgun instead of easing it upwards. I don't think there is one style this doesn't apply to.

I've outlined a lot of it here.

1 hour ago, v3rse said:

I don't disagree that on paper a lot of different decks look similar, but you may be surprised at how differently they actually play. I'm often surprised at how differently decks play when they're only 10 or so cards different.

This has a lot more to do with the Mastery and MP in my opinion. This isn't

The concept of Archetypes is mute at this point in my opinion. They can't provide enough support to them since sets are too small. So either an Archetype gets dragged out with little to no success or it becomes too overwhelming too quickly. I'll continue to play FanZ because it is the spiritual successor to PanZ. Someday though... I still believe will get DBZ 3.0, but I'll be honest, I'll take anything Jim Ward 3.0. The engine is beautiful enough to support its own. It just needs a good "FULL TIME" development crew and it easily could stand on its own.

It's kind of interesting to me that @Artificial Human's reason for progressively losing interest in FanZ is the same reason I'm progressively gaining interest. The reality is that the archetype concept in PanZ was a bit flimsy from its introduction, and they may have needed small, dedicated boosters here and there to make cards more accessible and purely support each one. A Future of Trunks booster, for example, which expanded on the "Sword" archtype for Trunks (similar to the Yu-Gi-Oh!'s "Duelist Packs," and how they'd introduce/expand on Archetypes.) Alas, PanZ didn't do this, and what we're living in with FanZ is the scattered remains of those half-fulfilled archetypes.

This is part of why I'm so pumped for this upcoming set, and for FanZ in general. With FanZ's first set, we saw some level of support for a previously underdeveloped archtype off the bat. With Set 10, we're going to be seeing a notable expansion of the Sword archetype across different styles. By no means, and I emphasize this, by no means is there an easy, quick fix to this problem. But gradual support that is errata'd to suitable levels over the course of several sets offers the potential for old archetypes to slowly get worked into something really viable. The staples will never go, of course, and while I'd love to see miniature sets that are dedicated to specific styles and fleshing out their archetypes, I respect that it's extra work load when you have people waiting on Majin Vegeta, Adult Gohan, the movie sets and the like (all of which will dictate the survival of FanZ).

So, to me, FanZ at this juncture is slowly starting to represent a chance to actually flesh out and fix the issues leftover by PanZ.

On 11/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, v3rse said:

I don't disagree that on paper a lot of different decks look similar, but you may be surprised at how differently they actually play. I'm often surprised at how differently decks play when they're only 10 or so cards different.

100% this. @Edison Carasio and I have been saying this since like, Set 3, of Pan Z.

I don't disagree with you guys that how the mp utilises the deck changes it dramatically, but reflecting on it more, I think I came to what I feel best puts over how I think the situation is handled.

The recent Namekian Ascension and cards like the two Red pitch Blocks in Set 2 are the type of thing I really want to see more of. It's a really deliberate card that directly assists something, definite chuck in for certain Masteries or MPs and honestly, makes card choices tougher. Quality interaction. Things when you run a specific Mastery, you want to use. Red Integration is another, deliberately interacts and is a quality interaction, though more niche.

Even with the limited space, you could easily do 1-2 cards deliberately made to interact with each Mastery to start proping these things up. Saiyan Tantrum is an amazing card because its multiuse in this corner of design, helping two MPs and Empowered. This would migrate stuff like Red having little that interacts with its Masteries and eventually, if they build upon foundations, allow things like Copy to get a Mastery and support. Kinda handle it like how Vanguard did. Go back and flesh out ideas.